Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Upgrade CP or get a T-Rex?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Upgrade CP or get a T-Rex?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 AM
QuickStick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade CP or get a T-Rex?

Hi Everyone,

I have been flying my blade cp for about 8 months now. I am learning how to hover nose in, and am getting very good at forward flight. My stock batteries are only giving me about 5-6 minutes of flying time and i would like to upgrade to lipos.

I figure it will cost me about $200 to get the upgrade kit, 2 lipos, and a cell balancer to attach to my charger.

Do you think it may make more sense to sink some cash into a new t-rex instead of spening a lot on upgrading the CP?

If I get a T-rex, I do not want to spend over $1,000. I am not sure of the differences between the 450SA and the 450SE other then the carbon fiber parts and aluminum head. Will one fly better and outlast the other? Do they fly differently? Is it worth the extra $200 to get the SE over the SA?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
zurie

Default RE: Upgrade CP or get a T-Rex?

I spent 989 dollars total for my setup... So if you don't wanna spend OVER 1000, but are willing to spend 900, then go for a TREX.

but whatever you do, do not put any more money into your CP... waste...

I upgraded my CX2 with like 200 dollars in parts, shafts, booms, skids, blades, lipo alarm, wires, custom canopies, all this crap... spend like 500 - 600 dollars total on a useless CX2.

Then I got a TREX 450 SE v2 401 Gyro / 3 x 65MG servo's / 3153 digital tail / Spektrum DX7 controller

I wish I had my 500 dollars back to put into my TREX!!!!

as far as is it worth it to upgrade?? thats up to you?

I have never crashed my TREX. I do flips, loops, forward flight, nose in out side back, and a small amount of inverted hovering (practicing it). So if you think buying the cheap stuff and upgrading on a crash, well thats just more money than not crashing period... so I wouldn't bet on crashing.. get the setup you want, and plan to enjoy it.. you already have 8 months of flying a crappy helicopter under your belt, so the head holding gyro, and tail drive system is going to be insanely stable...

also, the metal parts break less than plastic.. but plastic parts react better to the force of the ground... so if you have plastic, it breaks, cheaper to fix but more parts capable of breaking at one time.. metal parts break less but your main shaft, feathering shaft, and sometimes your gear usually go out. and blades..

I'd go SE v2 because for me, it had all the upgrades done for you, it had better a better tail design, improved play in the head with better design.. gyro mounts underneath automatically.. basically everything wrong with v1 they fixed in v2.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
W4RCF

The first post is right on the money! Go for the T-Rex!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

if youre going to do the Trex, go the whole mile and get the SEv2. itll cost a little over 1g for the complete package, but itll be worth it at your skill level.

if you can fly the BCP, the trex SE will be easy. if you can Almost nose in with the CP you CAN with the trex for sure.

logictech gyro, 9650, DX7 microlite heli + SEv2 (motor, esc, & lipo included)
100 + 60 + 335 + 540 = a little over 1g retail (if you have connections this is about 700 at cost )

that is probably the cheapest and best flying combo. normally i recommend the HS65MG servos, but the DS285s are excellent and already come with the dx7 package, just a little fragile. Will save u 35/servo to start with. logictech is proven to perform in the same class as a 401 and it's quite a bit cheaper. You wont regret it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

I made the mistake of thinking the CP would be an inexpensive companion to my T-Rex. After spending a ton on the CP to try to get it to be half as good as the T-Rex. I finally sold it all on ebay at a huge loss. T-Rex is the best bang for the buck I think.

(Actually mine was an AXE CP, but the same story holds).
Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
ground killer

i think i baught commander drakes cp off of ebay what a waist of money in the long and short run get the trex i have the xl and built it my self from the ground up i suggest you build one also in not sure if the other models come pre built or not but i do thingk you should build one trex
did i say buy the trex
trex
trex
trex
trex
Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 AM
BoysToys

I flew my Axe CP stock until I built my T-Rex. Boy am I glad that I did not waste any money on that other heli. I have not even powered it up since I built my T-Rex 450 V2. Get yourself a T-Rex and don't look back. It will be tight getting everything you need for under $1000 if you have to get a lipo charger and balancer. My setup ended up costing me around $1100+tax for the 450 SE V2, DX7, HS-65MGs, Gy401, S9650 and one FlightPower Evo25 2170 lipo. I sold the DS285 servos that came with my DX7 on ebay for $60 and bought another FlightPower pack with the money.

Good luck and have FUN!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 AM
scott_hurst

I'm with the rest of them.

You can spend a ton of money upgrading a CP. (I did)

You wind up with a CP that has the price of TREX and is still...... well, a CP.

I just built my first TREX yesterday. I'll pick up the my gyro and tail servo, to finish the setup, this evening (I would have been better prepared if I had any clue the build would be so easy).
Old 07-27-2007, 09:17 AM
RUOK

Get the T-rex, if you can fly a Blade you are so going to love the Rex. The blade will just bleed money away that would be better spent on the T-rex. I know it seems expensive at the start but don't scrimp on components, get the 65mgs and 401 gyro w/9650 on the tail you won't regret it! I wish I had avoided the Blade bling trap and saved the money for the rex.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM
techrtr

Put the money into a T-Rex. You won't regret it. As soon as you start to fly a serious heli like the Rex, you'll kick yourself in the arse for pumping a pile of money into the CP Pro.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:24 AM
[]TEX[]

Go for the T-Rex, but for the same amount of money to get running with the SE V2, you can get a 50 Class Raptor that will be even better than the T-Rex in every aspect.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM
scott_hurst

I can't stand all the controversy..... you guys need to find some concensus.

(taht was pure sarcasm for the humor impaired)
Old 07-27-2007, 12:34 PM
taylorcoleman

I spent over $600 on my CP Pro (original kit + brushless + direct drive tail + carbon fiber blades + G90 gyro + Superskids +++).

Worst $600 ever spent (not a complete waste, as I learned to fly with it) The CP Pro upgrade bug bit me, but the upgrades were just band-aids on a go-nowhere machine.

Recommendation: scan eBay for a good, used T-Rex 450 SA and pull the trigger on it.

As a benchmark, on eBay I just purchased a used, 6-month old Hirobo Sceadu Evo for $800 (complete with 401, JR digitals all around, OS hyper 50, etc, etc.). Sickens me that this loaded machine was merely $200 more than my CP Pro investment.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
LDGILLS

Trex all the way. I just did this, from my Blade CP to the 450 trex. Hands down, Trex..
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 PM
mmee1992

I would say definately get a T-rex and if you do you should buy the 450SE It will be about $1000 dollars to start of but youll learn to fly a lot faster than on those Blade CP's or Axe CP's I have one with 3 HS-065 servos and an Airtronics 94761z servo on the tail with a Futaba 401 gyro its a great helicopter.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Georges Payne

My first heli was a Blade CP Pro and I hated those T-Rx vs Blade CP threads. I thought the T-Rex owners were kind of snobbing a less expensive machine that is in a totally different class anyway. I learned to fly on the BCPP and I liked it. But I should have stopped pouring money into the BCPP sooner and buy a T-Rex instead. The Blade served its purpose It allowed me to learn to hover and fly forward and all. The Blade's only advantage in my opinion is that it can fly inside if you have a large garage. The T-Rex, being larger and having a higher head speed, is a scary machine to spool up inside. But I fly outside anyway, so a bigger machine is better, and the T-Rex flies like a dream compared to the BCPP.

Now I hate those threads because I sound like one of the "snobs".
Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
TheBum

Yeah, I hear myself becoming one of those snobs too, and I haven't even gotten a T-Rex yet (I will in a couple more months, if I can wait that long): I'm still flying my CX2. I guess I'm just biased toward the larger helis because I have no indoor venues available to me that are large enough for any CP heli, no matter how small, so my only choice is something that can fly stably outdoors in breezy conditions.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Synister

Anyone interested in buying a CP Pro? Only crashed a few times and it has lots of extras!!! Like many of you, the price of the CP Pro seemed like a cheap and easy way to get into this hobby with a "fully 3d capable right out of the box!!!" machine. Heh, it taught me to fly and after a brushless, HH gyro, DD tail, parts, etc. it still had very severe limitations. It was fun to fly in my garage on rainy days but my new SA is the sweetest thing. Im probably gonna be crashing it pretty soon, at which point ill likely upgrade a few (not all) of the plastic parts to aluminum. But see, thats the great thing about align stuff...a nice shiny $30 part is worth $30 or a sturdy $8 plastic part is worth $8. Cp Pro?? Please, try $5 for ONE stupid graphite tail boom (btw, its like $7 for 2 aluminum tail booms on the Rex). Crappy parts and electronics aside, seriously, who wants my Pro...
Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
dallasfreak

maybe trex but i im going with a blade cx 2 bling out for 450 dollars yae baby blade rules trex 450 drools
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
ezveedub

Go for Trex 450, no comparison. Only Micro 300 heli that capable of Trex 3D is a MS Composite X-3d Pro. Thats a true micro 3d heli, with shaft drive tail, not an electrical motor.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:05 PM
heartofmadnes

ORIGINAL: dallasfreak

maybe trex but i im going with a blade cx 2 bling out for 450 dollars yae baby blade rules trex 450 drools
Whatever your smoking..can I have some.... CX2 over REX.. Thats wrong on soo many levels
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
alfredbmor

If I would read this thread before I could have save $340.00 Dlls. (Blade CP Pro and a bunch of parts), now the motor finally got toasted, I will not replace it and I will start to buy parts for my Trex.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:49 PM
dallasfreak

your crazy the blade is the best on the market
Old 08-30-2007, 05:05 PM
ezveedub

Man, you must be getting or growing some good stuff in the panhandle! Don't get me wrong, I know people who love the CX2 over a Blade for overall fun.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
heartofmadnes

ORIGINAL: ezveedub

Man, you must be getting or growing some good stuff in the panhandle! Don't get me wrong, I know people who love the CX2 over a Blade for overall fun.

CX2 is a great heli but compared to the Trex...its like a Chevy Vega versus a McClarren..Of course little CX2 is the vega..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.