Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Ah, please dont be as Dumb as I ;)

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Ah, please dont be as Dumb as I ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
LDGILLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ah, please dont be as Dumb as I ;)

I fractured my hand, and finger last night via my trex blades. PURE stupidity, so please stop and think with these helicopters, as we all know they can be very dangerous. I was reminded of that last night, loud and clear

Just thought I would post this, so we may stop and think before we act[8D]
Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
heartofmadnes

Default RE: Ah, please dont be as Dumb as I ;)

Read my story on this post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6247338/tm.htm
Ended up 4 stiches
Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 PM
C5m7b4

Man, I am really sorry to hear that. When your hand heals, you will have to tell us how it happened so we can avoid the same fate. I am sure that your hand is too sore to type the story now, but when you get ready, it would be greatly appreciated. I hope you heel fast and get back to flying soon. You will start jonesing soon if you dont get back out there.

C5
Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
cltmte

I had nearly a similar fate early on with my CP Pro and hope it never happens with the T-Rex. My lesson (which I already knew), turn off the heli, turn off the heli, turn off the heli, then turn off the tx.

Hope you heal quickly.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
TheBum

It's also a good idea to have the throttle hold turned on when you're handling the heli, just in case you bump the throttle.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 AM
scott_hurst

ORIGINAL: TheBum

It's also a good idea to have the throttle hold turned on when you're handling the heli, just in case you bump the throttle.
Ding ding ding.... we have a winner. (That is, I concur)
Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 AM
LDGILLS

ORIGINAL: scott_hurst

ORIGINAL: TheBum

Ding ding ding.... we have a winner. (That is, I concur)
Throttle hold is why it happened For some reason, when I flipped it back, it went full throttle. AND, then, winning of the "heres your sign" was done by yours truly taking my left hand and purposly, though dont know why, right into the rotor blades to grab it Man, you should have seen the parts fly....it was rather humorous. Yes, I can laugh at myself. Thankfully, it was my left hand. I turn wrenches on cars, and my right hand is where its at

biggest problem is I am getting married on saturday, and now, according to my woman, I have ruined the wedding pics...LMAO I told her I would hide my left hand from any pics
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
soop7667

The first similar incident was with my Cp Pro. I had inadvertently hit the stunt mode switch while laying down the TX to pick up the heli after plugging in the battery. Luckily it didn't do any damage, just flopped around a bit - I think it hit my knuckles a couple times, but I just grabbed the TX and filpped the switch back down.

The second incident I had like this happened with my Raptor 50. I had just finished building it, and I had problems getting the mixture right on the engine. I headed to a Heli Fun Fly event happening in Pt. Charlotte, FL to see fi i could find some help from the attendees. I found someone who simply put my needles at the starting point and the heli fired right up. I had been struggling to start the damn thing for the whole morning without any luck. I was about to take it to the take off / Landing area and bumped my throttle stick by accident. All I heard was "zinnnngggg" and "Smackk smack smack", and then realized my blades were smacking the poor guys chest again and again. Luckily He was not a noob and he quickly grabbed the head, and also luckily I didn't panic, instead I just hit my throttle kill switch. I was shaken, embarrassed, and felt really really stupid. At that point I just wanted to crawl under a rock. I had no nerve left to attempt the maiden flight of the heli - besides that - it was gusting winds like 35-40 mph. Brutal winds even for the experienced pilots out there, yet they seemed to perform all their stunts with no problem anyways.

Since then I've learned some good habbits. My whole routine is now - If I am holding my TX, and the engine is running (Obviously not in flight), I have my thumb holding down the throttle stick. If I'm starting my heli, I put my radio on the ground next to me, and I keep it there until I'm ready to walk away from the heli, at that time, you know where my thumb goes. It's not good to allow your TX to dangle from your neck while you're working on/around your heli while it's running. I also make sure I've got my throttle hold on if I approach the heli to do a quick adjustment if I happen to have the TX around my neck, and I still have my thumb over the throttle.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
wrxsti02

I just have a habit of having throttle hold on whenever I am on the ground and not taking off.
-wrxsti02
Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
whoknows06

Ouch [X(] Still look on the bright side, if it had been a T Rex 600 you wouldnt have a hand anymore and that really would have ruined the wedding pics [sm=lol.gif]
Hope the hand gets better soon and good luck with the wedding, best thing I ever did.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
LDGILLS

ORIGINAL: wrxsti02

I just have a habit of having throttle hold on whenever I am on the ground and not taking off.
-wrxsti02
what part of pa you in? Wanna race that wrxi?...LOL
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

My friend got whacked in the leg this weekend with a larger electric he was flying too close to himself. 30 some stiches in 3 layers, it cut his calf muscle down to the bone.

Be careful with these things!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:56 PM
LDGILLS

I really expcted to see a bunch of blood when I opened my hand up, and was quite surprised too see I wasnt cut wide open.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM
devmode

I've hit myself twice. Once when I was a COMPLETE noob and couldn't control the throttle well when it was coming straight at me and it hit my leg ... luckily I had jeans on and just got a really nice huge bruise.

Another time when I should have known better but was still a newbie ... I was testing my pitch without the motor being disengaged. I accidentally spun it up and my first reaction was to grab it???? Bruised fingers ...

I learned ... shouldn't have take that to respect the power ... but now I am very very careful. It is all fun and games until you loose a thumb.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:12 AM
bzinfinity

The crash that sent my HBKII to Betapilot for upgrade overhaul left a 4" red bruised line and a baseball sized welt on my upper arm.

It came in in Idle Up after a failed piro attempt with malfunctioning equipment that I knew I shouldn't be testing, and the blades hit my arm one time and didn't break, surprisingly.

My arm still hurts pretty bad. I can't imagine taking a CF blade into flesh, especially if it were to shatter and come back around sharp.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 PM
shadowflyer101

i got a little store.

so here i am flying a honey bee king idle u with a 3900kv BL with a 25A esc, i was a noob when this happened.

so I'm flying, doing circuts and fast flybys and stuff like that. soon i become over confident and i start spinning the tail really fast. well i say cool, lets see how low to the ground i can go while spinning the tail RELAY fast. so i did it a couple of time and it all looked good. so then i say, lets see how close i can get to my self while spinning the tail relay fast. so i get nice and low, and close and spin out the tail, well when i did it that time i went a little to long and i lost track of where the tail was.next thing i know i am looking at the blade spinning relay FAST about 2 onces away from my for head! so i quickly ducked i dodged that one with ease. i turn around to find my Helli, and as soon as i tern around, it was coming right for my chest. so i cut off the throttle and pulled the stick back ass fast as i could. the Helli bounced of the ground with very little damage to me or the Helli.

thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:37 PM
mirage-twin

My trex got a pretty good whack at my arm, I was holding the heli getting ready to set it down with the transmitter in my other hand and I hit the throttle when I knelt down and of course it went full throttle, anyway, the blades only got to turn 360 degrees before hitting my forearm, the main gear stripped out instantly and I had two large red marks/welts. I can't imagine what could have happened if it spooled all the way up and/or hit me in the face.

ever since then I take it a little more seriously.