Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

The worlds most expensive McDonals toy.

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

The worlds most expensive McDonals toy.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
abp689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worlds most expensive McDonals toy.

It is great to have this site; my local LHS have so far steered me away from helicopters due to the difficulty. Glad to see there is a larger community. Anyway, I got an airwolf heli at target for my son, which lead me to a blade cx2 (for him as well : ) Which has now lead me to wanting either the new EFlite 400 $500 or maybe the TRex 450 SE V2 $1100. I have no expeirence other than what is listed.

My question:

As a beginner, I will not be able to utilize the TRex capibilites. A $1000 budget is doable, but is that overkill? I would like to have something to fly around the yard that is stable (which the CPP seams not to be from this site?). But the BCX2 seems very well thought out and I thought that the Eflite 400 would be as well.

Although I am sure I will never crash, the $500 would by a lot of extra parts/expierence. It is just that I see everyone on the site directing others towards the Trex. I know with my guitar, I get very passionate and would direct anyone wanting to get into it, to get the best they can afford. Would a heli noob benifit from the same advice?

Also, if I went to the Trex, would I want to stop upgrading - my wife is going to kill me!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: The worlds most expensive McDonals toy.

Hi, there are going to be a lot of opinions on this one. I personally also like to have the best in the first place rather than spending even more in the long run by continually buying something better.
All I can advise you is that 6 weeks ago I bought a Trex 450 SE V2, the latest. I set it up to learn on (no negative pitch etc) and I have now had 75 flights without a shunt in a small back garden. In fact the training u/carraige was off after about 15 flights. I also went against all the advice and refused to cough up £300 for a simulator.
I have learnt to master this machine on my own. The secret is never to get too overconfident. If I can do it anyone can. Interestingly I got my partner a little blade CX2 and could fly that without even thinking. If you are co-ordinated enough to play a musical instrument, with concentration you will manage ok.
Beware though, these birds are addictive, I have already ordered a 600CF and scale fuselage!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If multiple family members are doing this together, it will be easier to justify the expense of a good simulator. Go to the LHS and try out their sim. Then buy one.
Don't play superman. Hover. Hover side in and nose in. Low slow figure 8's. This will go a long way in dragging yourself through the very steep learning curve.

I also like the T-Rex idea.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Prontow

Abp, I hope you never experience the sheer terror of seeing your heli plummit to the earth, but most will probably tell you to count on it. Crashes will happen, I currently am flying an AXE CP (until I finally buy a 450 SE) and I can say I have replaced everything except the two rubber bands that hold the battery in! They are a blast to fly and as Gary says they are addictive.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:00 PM
abp689

I can see how this stuff can get addictive. I am currently leaning torwards the Trex, just doing the research on TxRx, servo and Gyro options. For a new guy, the options are impossibly complex - feels like I am studing for the board exams.

Also, I keep seeing the $358 Gy401 as the recommended gyro (which alone is the price of the CPP!). Is this more for 3D and could I get away with a less expensive gyro, or would this help with the stabilization of the tail...?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
rlsloan

Advice from an expert. Learn to fly fixed wing before you move into rotary wing.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM
USHobbySupply

get something your comfortable with crashing and having to fix. It would be a shame to spend the whole wad and one mistake later its even more than the original investment. I think your second idea is the best, middle ground with money to get parts. When you've mastered that, your golden with any bird.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
heartofmadnes

ORIGINAL: abp689

It is great to have this site; my local LHS have so far steered me away from helicopters due to the difficulty. Glad to see there is a larger community. Anyway, I got an airwolf heli at target for my son, which lead me to a blade cx2 (for him as well : ) Which has now lead me to wanting either the new EFlite 400 $500 or maybe the TRex 450 SE V2 $1100. I have no expeirence other than what is listed.

My question:

As a beginner, I will not be able to utilize the TRex capibilites. A $1000 budget is doable, but is that overkill? I would like to have something to fly around the yard that is stable (which the CPP seams not to be from this site?). But the BCX2 seems very well thought out and I thought that the Eflite 400 would be as well.

Although I am sure I will never crash, the $500 would by a lot of extra parts/expierence. It is just that I see everyone on the site directing others towards the Trex. I know with my guitar, I get very passionate and would direct anyone wanting to get into it, to get the best they can afford. Would a heli noob benifit from the same advice?

Also, if I went to the Trex, would I want to stop upgrading - my wife is going to kill me!

And BTW you will crash and if you crash with a BCX2..it sucks but its no biggie..You crash a Trex and since you have kids if its coming towards you or them...Ever see that movie Aliens with the Colonial Marines , the part when the drop ship crashes because an Alien just Fubared the pilot..And how they ran there butts off for cover....Thats what you will be doing...The Trex blades are like a flying lawn mower on a mission. Get yourself a sim first then a blade Cp..The tail sucks on it but its a begining
Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 PM
abp689

Great advice, but I guess I am more confussed now. I had wanted to talk myself into the Trex as it was a ARF. A lot of posters on the forum have recommened it was a good thing to put your bird together before you crashed so you are a little more comforable when it happens. On a smaller scale, I know this is true with the BCX2.

Other posters have also stated the parts and repair work is easier on the Trex. But again, $500 creates a large margin. I was mentally preparing to set aside $350 for parts. For a beginner (who may get a sim), is this a reasonable figure?

I forgot the "lol" on me not crashing. Yeah, at this point, I have pretty much planned on tanking the bird in the garden for the next year or so.

The LHS also sales a Venom for $450? I may do some research on this one? Any expierence with this one?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
heartofmadnes

Great advice, but I guess I am more confussed now. I had wanted to talk myself into the Trex as it was a ARF. A lot of posters on the forum have recommened it was a good thing to put your bird together before you crashed so you are a little more comforable when it happens. On a smaller scale, I know this is true with the BCX2.

Other posters have also stated the parts and repair work is easier on the Trex. But again, $500 creates a large margin. I was mentally preparing to set aside $350 for parts. For a beginner (who may get a sim), is this a reasonable figure?

I forgot the "lol" on me not crashing. Yeah, at this point, I have pretty much planned on tanking the bird in the garden for the next year or so.

The LHS also sales a Venom for $450? I may do some research on this one? Any expierence with this one?

The Trex is an awesome heli and it is recommended to go to , but recommended for those who have experince flying this type of heli. If you jump right into this type of bird without knowing most of the ins and outs of it. Not only can it be frustrating, but it can be dangerous. Lots of people who have migrated to the trex have lots of hours or years with heli's like the CP PRo or Walkera. and they got tired of that drifting tail those helis cna have.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 PM
[]TEX[]

Simply put, as you progress through your flying skills, the T-Rex will be an excellent candidate all the way through. Parts are easy to get and cheap. You are going to crash, it's inevitable. We all crash at some point, it is part of the learing experience so put that out of your mind for now.

Like many here, I also suggest a SIM for you and your family to use. You can fly at night when you have free time and when you crash, you hit the reset button, not your wallet. All the SIMs are good, you'll have to choose one that you like the best or has the aircraft you like best, etc.

The GY240 is $120, I suggest that gyro since it is easy to set up. The GY401 is $140 and has more options like setting gain through your Tx. Most likely you saw the price for the gyro AND high speed servo which you can't use anyway. I have both and they work equally well, but the 401 is better.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVA42&P=ML
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVA43&P=ML

I am a fan of Futaba so I can recommend the 6EXH for a radio system. It's easy to set up and comes with the servos you need during your learning process. The DX6 is also an option, but I hear they are harder to set up.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXKZC1**&P=0

I hope you are looking into a T-Rex combo which includes the motor and ESC. That is the best deal right now and the Align motor and ESC will be the right parts so you don't need to do any guess work. You can find combos here: http://www.heliproz.com/

A crash will cost you $25-$50 depending on what you bend/break, so don't sweat it.

Spend the time on your sim, I suggest you get about 20hrs of flight time before you fly your T-Rex. Trust me, it's going to help.

You should also read this, print it out and use it! It will teach you everything you ever needed to know about flying an RC Helicopter.
http://www.dream-models.com/docs/FieldManual.pdf

You can also go here for info on setting things up.
http://www.trextuning.com/index.php

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 PM
[]TEX[]

Leave it on the shelf....
Old 09-20-2007, 09:24 PM
atcspaul

problem with eflite stuff is parts are wicked expensive. t-rex set the pace for the 450 size and more parts are available for it then any other copter out thier and parts are priced fair in my opinion
Old 09-21-2007, 07:55 AM
rcmiket

T Rex is the way to go. Set it up right and it will treat you right. Another potion is the HB King II you can get it with the brushless set up for about 200 or so. Good little helicopter around the house.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM
helorookie

Just my input here some. I have been flying the Blade CP. I upgraded the head with a Bell-Hiller, went with the aluminum swash and found it very, very responsive. Sometimes a little too much. I just had the tail wag that everyone was mentioning. But it is a good starter heli. I do own a T-Rex 450. I also decided to give the Eflight 400 a try. I got it on pre-order right now. I am very curious as to how this heli acts in comparison to the T-Rex. I will definately keep you posted.

I agree that you should try a sim. I got one before I got my Blade and it helped a lot. If you do decide on the T-Rex or the Eflight, I would suggest that you use [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radd's School of Rotary Flight[/link]. It takes a little bit when getting started since the action is a little slow, but it picks up as you progress through the stages.

I want to wish you all the luck in getting airborne.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 AM
USHobbySupply

if your still looking into a TREX class bird, look at the HDX450v3. for $299 (regularly 349) you get basically a 450SEv2. All metal head and tail, pre assembled. cf sides and nice touches like solid flat surface for mounting gyro, servos in great location for aligning with the swash plate. We got some in stock the other day, and all i can say is wow!!. sweet machine for 200 less than sev2.

You'll still get experience building, cause its not 100% assembled. But hey, the experience that we get from building is not necessarily from putting screw a into post b. It comes from the setup, radio config and tuning. Why waste time with screw a into b, the head and tail are built. slap on the sides and get to setup and tuning.

lots of great comments on these forums about it, just have to convince the wife that i should buy one from stock and have one for myself!

Lots of finless videos about it and setup, just like trex.

Heck, i was so impressed by it, i am ordering (for the store) the HDX300. Its the same size as a bladecp but with belt tail. The quality so impressed me that I'm sure that the HDX300 will be awsome.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
abp689

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the information! I ABSOLUTELY was not going to do this until I got on this forum; but I think I am going to go buy a sim and put some time on the computer. Really hate to do this as I generally do not like to play video games and it keeps me from being outside with the real thing.

However, if it is going to save me $ and make me a little better... After that, I am going to jump into the TREX. While the mid priced birds are attractive, I know myself and my history. I will have a CPP for 2 months, then hide the purchase of a TREX from the wife (actually not too much hiding, I am sure she will not be able to tell the difference from a BXC2 and a TREX).

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. It has been much appriciated!

ABP
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
USHobbySupply

oh forgot to mention, most parts (like head,tail, boom) interchangeable with TREX.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
abp689

Hey Mike,

Presume you can use Align parts on the HDX450v3?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM
USHobbySupply

I have had reports that most align parts fit fine. I know of several people who use the HDX head on the trex without modifications, and they love it. So, i believe yes, thats the beauty. Alot of LHS's stock align parts, so when in a pinch, you can get stuff there (or always).

I have both at the warehouse, this weekend i will be there for paperwork, so i can do a visual to see.

also, it may be worth it to read the HDX thread located here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...tm.htm#5976044

Michael
Old 09-23-2007, 07:55 AM
ct420

The HDX450 is an OK bird. Inconsistent parts quality, but overall, not too bad. Stay FAR AWAY from the HDX300 though.... It's just not a good heli at all.

I also recommend staying away from any of the 'cheap' RTF helis unless you just want to 'get your feet wet' to see if helis are for you. Even then, resist the temptation to upgrade. If you start upgrading one of those things, you will have dumped a ton of cash in it before you know it, and still won't have a very good heli.

The T-REX 450 is the best heli in it's class. Parts are cheap and abundant, and they retain their resell value better than any other 450 also. That is something else to consider, as about 3/4 of all people who get into helis give up on them within 1 year...

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:22 PM
clutchbob

I also recommend staying away from any of the 'cheap' RTF helis unless you just want to 'get your feet wet' to see if helis are for you. Even then, resist the temptation to upgrade. If you start upgrading one of those things, you will have dumped a ton of cash in it before you know it, and still won't have a very good heli.
I gotta agree. You're already hooked, you know you're gonna want a decent heli eventually, so don't bother with all the "step ups" in between. The T-Rex is a perfectly good first 'copter IMO if you have some stick time already or have a decent sim.
I bought an RTF, but later bought a radio and an SE V2. The $300 I spent on the RTF was a waste of money.

I purchased an SE V2 with 3 HS65 servos, a Fut 401 gyro, and 9650 dig. servo for about 650.00 Including shipping from Power Hobbies in Suffern NY. Another $170 for the Hitec Optic 6. With your budget, you could then pick up a Real Flight G3.5 sim.

Apart from the setup, which can be helped with the "Finless" Videos, IMO, this is all you need.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 PM
abp689

Hey ClutchBob,

That was a 450 SE (V2)? I looked at the site and call, the service person told me it was a 450 SE V1 and not V2.

Otherwise, that is the set-up and price I was looking at.

ABP
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 PM
clutchbob

Yes, it was the V2 with the thrust bearings, 4mm spindle shaft, new cf blades and new tail etc. This was about two months ago. I think he said he had ten remaining.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 PM
rchotrod

I say a visit to helifreak.com would also be a good idea when you do get your Rex. Visit the Finless videos thread and download them. They will explain everything you need to set up your heli right from the start.

Don't skimp on electronics with this heli. It is a full bore heli capable of everything the large glow helis can do. Get the best you can afford for radio gear. Batteries too. At least 20c rate starting out. They will last alot longer. Then when you get ready for more advanced flight you can step up to the higher capacity batteries.

It is better to start out like you are with the best. That way if you do decide that helis are not for you, it will be no problem to sell off the heli and equipment.

Go slow. The sim will teach you the basics only. And it can make you seem better than you really are. I can hover inverted on the sim but don't dare try it yet with the real thing. I am only just exploring forward flight. But that is fine with me. Only go as far as you are comfortable with.

Also have plenty of room to fly the Rex. And be careful with the kids around it. Explain to them the hazards of this heli. It might seem like a toy to them, but it can cause serious damage.

If you have any heli pilots that can help you out, ask them. Have someone hover the heli and make sure it is trimmed out and flying properly before you try it. It is much easier to learn on a well behaved heli than a heli with a mind of it's own.

See ya,
Rod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.