Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 This Hobby really is a $$$ hole!!! >

This Hobby really is a $$$ hole!!!

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

This Hobby really is a $$$ hole!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Hobby really is a $$$ hole!!!

Thanks for the help guys!

I ended up getting the Trex 450 SE V2, a great looking bird that looks well built. As I planned the purchase, it was pretty easy to budget the money. Now that I have actually started to spend (and plan on spending for crashed parts) it has become lot harder. I was looking at getting the DX7 @ $350. On impulse, I just bought a Fubata 6ex ($220 - no servo... is this a good price?) @ the LHS as nobody carries the DX7 in my area and it was a lot cheaper.

I have looked on the forum but have not seen a lot of info on this TX. Although it is a 6 channel, will the set-up be lot tougher (and limiting), and will I notice anything after it is set-up and I am hopefully flying?

This will be the only heli for me for three - four years at a minumum; so I do not see any new purchases in the future (of course I did not see this one either).

Thanks for any help,
AP
Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: This Hobby really is a $$$ hole!!!

Glad you fished up getting the V2 you will not regret it (as long as you set it up properly) I use a 6EX 2.4, it's a great radio, the only thing I miss is not having subtrims but that apart it's a brilliant bit of kit. The price is about right.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Hey, good to hear from you again Gary!

Yeah, you know I am not sure how I feel about not having the sub-trim as a reference point. It seemed like it could be a little discomforting (I guess it is what you get use to).

I went through finless bob's presentation on Tx set-up over the weekend and it seemed somewhat staight forward with a large LCD. I have never set-up a TX and am nervous about not seeing the whole picture (I have not yet jumped into the manual).

I have tried to take my time and set it up slowly; I am currently reading the RADD, and reviewin finless videos. But it is getting to the point where I get to fire it up.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Man your going to love the T-Rex its a mint bird. Not to ruin your day but i found my DX7/AR6100 for $230 and then $10 for shipping. Im sure the futaba will treat you good. It has 5 point curves which is good. I would not settle for 3, might not be a major, just not great.
Good luck with the build
Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you maiden it, pm me and I will give you my beginner settings. I must confess I gave my LHS £20 to set her up and with those settings have logged up 1000 minutes, about 75 flights with no shunts so it must be somewhere near right. I lie, one drop in from 4' due to athe drive belt fraying and locking the tail pulley solid. Make sure belt not too loose and spray with WD40 regularly so it does not happen to you. I watch with interest, good luck, Gary.
p.s. Next job under way!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65878.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	780168  
Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM

I just bought the TREX V2 and the DX7 system with the AR6100 receiver. It has 20 "slots" in which you can program either Helis or Aero. I started off bindiing it to both of my CX2's, will obviously use it for the TREX and I am also going to replace the stock receiver in my Typhoon 2 Aero with the AR6100 so I will be able to fly all my birds with one Tx.

I can't say that I have had much of a chance to actually use it yet, but like it so far.

Let's be sure to compare notes on your V2 build, as I am going to start on it this weekend. [8D]
Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: abp689

Thanks for the help guys!

I ended up getting the Trex 450 SE V2, a great looking bird that looks well built. As I planned the purchase, it was pretty easy to budget the money. Now that I have actually started to spend (and plan on spending for crashed parts) it has become lot harder. I was looking at getting the DX7 @ $350. On impulse, I just bought a Fubata 6ex ($220 - no servo... is this a good price?) @ the LHS as nobody carries the DX7 in my area and it was a lot cheaper.

I have looked on the forum but have not seen a lot of info on this TX. Although it is a 6 channel, will the set-up be lot tougher (and limiting), and will I notice anything after it is set-up and I am hopefully flying?

This will be the only heli for me for three - four years at a minumum; so I do not see any new purchases in the future (of course I did not see this one either).

Thanks for any help,
AP
should have look into ebay abp, you can pick up the dx7 tx and ar6100 rx for around 220......thinking about buying it for my falcon and future trex

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29
Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM

HA HA,

At first glance I thought this thread was tittled,

This Hobby really is *****hole!!!

But yes, you are right, $1500 into my 450 rex setup this summer and i'm already thinking ....mmm...600?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Did not even think about the WD40, good tip. I am going to charge the battery up tonight and hopefully program the tx on Saturday; if you don't mind, I'll will definetely take you up on the offer Gary. I will look for your address on Friday. Thanks!

BryFlyGuy, I see you are out in GR, I am in the area as well. There is a LHS on 131/Wyoming that is going to start carring Align parts for the Trex this next week (they just got in an SA at the shop). The owner also said there is a guy named Steve that is starting classes in November if you are interested. Not sure if he just wanted to get a club together or earn some $$$. There is also a heli club in Dorr; not sure when they shut the doors, but it is a $100 membership. BTW, you might want to buy an extra bottle of Loctite; I was scaping the bottle that came with the bird.

Man, the best deal on the DX7 I found was $300, could not touch it for less, let alone $230 new or ebay!

P01rogue, you might have also come up with a better title than me, after a little more money and time in this sport; I may not stop with "@$$hole"
Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 AM

I fly my 450SA in much the same fashion as guys flying their 450SE, but themajor difference is I only about $725 in my T-Rex w/aluminum upgrades where needed.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 AM

abp689

wait till you have been in the hobby 25 years ,,,, 3 Heli ,, 4 cars ,, 3 boats ,,, 7 planes ... when i looked to buy my house ,,, need bedrooms for family ,, guestroom ,,, and 1 basement bedroom for the models ,, my work room looks like a hobby shop LOL
Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Did not even think about the WD40, good tip. I am going to charge the battery up tonight and hopefully program the tx on Saturday; if you don't mind, I'll will definetely take you up on the offer Gary. I will look for your address on Friday. Thanks!

BryFlyGuy, I see you are out in GR, I am in the area as well. There is a LHS on 131/Wyoming that is going to start carring Align parts for the Trex this next week (they just got in an SA at the shop). The owner also said there is a guy named Steve that is starting classes in November if you are interested. Not sure if he just wanted to get a club together or earn some $$$. There is also a heli club in Dorr; not sure when they shut the doors, but it is a $100 membership. BTW, you might want to buy an extra bottle of Loctite; I was scaping the bottle that came with the bird.

Man, the best deal on the DX7 I found was $300, could not touch it for less, let alone $230 new or ebay!

P01rogue, you might have also come up with a better title than me, after a little more money and time in this sport; I may not stop with "@$$hole"
Yup, I am out in Plainfield TWP. I just joined the Wolverine Skyhawks (http://www.wolverineskyhawks.com/skyhawks/) RC club. They only charge a $25 membership fee and dues are $40 per year. They have two fields: one in Cedar Springs and one in Alpine TWP. I have not yet been to any meeting or have seen the fields yet because I literally just sent in my paperwork and dues. I'm still waiting for my AMA card too.

Regarding LHS: Here is a better one! I have been to the one on Clyde Park in Wyoming. It was okay. There is Riders, but they don't stock much Heli stuff. The best so far is "Rivertown Hobbies" at the intersection of 10 mile and 131 in Rockford. It a small shop. When you walk in, you are ASSAULTED by boxes and boxes of planes, Helis, Cars and Boats. Plus, he stocks a butt-ton of E-Flite and TREX parts right on the wall for you to grab. I bought the whole shoot and shibang for my TREX there and also many parts for my E-Flite birds. The guy who owns it is also named Steve. He's a little stand-off-ish at first, but when you see him behind the counter working on 3 or 4 TREX's at once (actually working on them), you get a feeling that he knows his stuff. I would check him out.

My TREX build starts this weekend! Here is a pic of the madness! This part goes WHERE???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52593.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	781639  
Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the tip Bry, I have been to many HS's in Michigan including the two GR LHS and none know anything about heli's other than they are hard to fly, that I should either buy the CPP or stick with planes. I ended up buying off of the net when I would of like to supported the LHS; I will run up to Steve's place and check it out. Let me know how wolverine skyhawks works for you. I might end up that way. Also, where did you decide to place your reciever on the TREX?

Yeah Russ, I ended up selling the Revo to stay in the good graces of the wife. She is tolerant, but after awhile it starts to cost ME $$$. I thought the Trex would be ~ $1000 buy the time I was done. It is now closer to $2000 after she gets done spending a $1000 on clothes.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 PM

Well, it hasn't been easy for me I write down all what I spend and I think that learning was the toughest part, I didn't have anybody to help me out, just the forums, of course, very useful but sometimes not enough. I had some crashes due to wrong blade tracking, snapped links and stuff I was not used to check before. Now it's getting better, but I think just talking about spare parts since 1 month ago that I have the t-rex I have spent near 200dlls very heavy for the pocket.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the tip Bry, I have been to many HS's in Michigan including the two GR LHS and none know anything about heli's other than they are hard to fly, that I should either buy the CPP or stick with planes. I ended up buying off of the net when I would of like to supported the LHS; I will run up to Steve's place and check it out. Let me know how wolverine skyhawks works for you. I might end up that way. Also, where did you decide to place your reciever on the TREX?

Yeah Russ, I ended up selling the Revo to stay in the good graces of the wife. She is tolerant, but after awhile it starts to cost ME $$$. I thought the Trex would be ~ $1000 buy the time I was done. It is now closer to $2000 after she gets done spending a $1000 on clothes.
Cool. If you stop in there, tell him I sent you. Maybe I'll get a discount!

Regardless of whether or not you join the RC club, we should get together and go flying sometime since we're so close. I should have my TREX done in 1 - 2 weeks and then Ia m going to be looking for someone who has flown before to kind of show me the ropes and share techniques with.

I've been REALLy lucky to have an understanding wife. She kind of rolls her eyes at me when I spend $$ on my hobby, but she knows I love it. I don't give her grief about buying clothes, so it's a win-win for both of us.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: matador_24

Well, it hasn't been easy for me I write down all what I spend and I think that learning was the toughest part, I didn't have anybody to help me out, just the forums, of course, very useful but sometimes not enough. I had some crashes due to wrong blade tracking, snapped links and stuff I was not used to check before. Now it's getting better, but I think just talking about spare parts since 1 month ago that I have the t-rex I have spent near 200dlls very heavy for the pocket.
Man, I am NOT going to start counting the $$ I have spent on this hobby so far! It would probably make me sick! I have two modified Blade CX2's that I fly right now, I am building the TREX and when the Blade 400 comes out, I will proabbly buy it for myself for Christmas. [8D]

That's one thing about this hobby, I can't exactly put a new set of, say, Futaba HS65MG's on my wish list and have anyone get it right! I pretty much have to shop for myself.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67
when the Blade 400 comes out, I will proabbly buy it for myself for Christmas. [8D]

Once you get your T-Rex built and flying you will not want to fly anything else. Instead of getting another 400-450 size heli, I am saving my money for when the new T-Rex 500 is released! I am not going to let myself buy it until I can do flips, rolls, loops, and some inverted hovering on my 450. Then I am going to a bigger bird. I have only flown my Axe Cp 3 or 4 times since I built my 450 V2 back in July. I just don't have much fun trying to keep that squirrly thing under control when my T-Rex, that is steady as a rock, is just sitting on the bench. Come to think of it, I have only driven my trucks about 2 times since building my Rex.

I would definitely recommend trying to find an experianced heli pilot to look over your heli before you attempt to hover it. My heli was built for almost a week before I could hook up with somebody to check out mine. Since everything checked out ok, I was very confident the first time I spooled it up.

After I built mine I was able to hover it and go into some forward flight on the first pack. Granted, I could already fly figure 8's with my Axe CP. Since you have only flown a CX I would recommend you start out with some training gear or your will be out some big dollars very quickly. You might also want to check out RADDS school of flight. RADDS and RealFlight G3.5 are what I used to learn to fly on my Axe.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM

TREX 500? Haven't heard about that one. Where can I find more info?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:30 PM

I use the 6 ex on both a mx-400 Pro and the 600e radio does a great job a good deal for the money
Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

TREX 500? Haven't heard about that one. Where can I find more info?
[link=http://www.thetrexforums.com/index.php/topic,2287.0.html]Here is an Entire Thread about the soon to be released T-Rex 500[/link]

Click on the links in the first post to go directly to the pics.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM

lol i spent 2200+ on one trex 600 cf set up! one heck of a heli though!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 PM

Looks cool! Okay, maybe I'll hold off on that Blade after all!