Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Lipo Storage

Old 10-22-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Storage

Can someone tell me what the rule of thumb is for storing Lipos in terms of charge? I know you should not store them fully charged, and with winter approaching I will probably not be flying much. Seems to me it was 11.5 V but I don't remember where I got that from.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM

Default RE: Lipo Storage

According to Thunder Power (I'm looking at their instruction sheet), store at 40 to 70 degrees for best results. For storage over one week, do not store fully charged, and store at 3.8 to 3.9 volts/cell. 3 cells, therefore, would be 11.4 to 11.7 volts. They say once any lipo has lost 20% of its capacity, it should be replaced. There are very specific instructions as to how to dispose of them, and they ARE an environmental hazard I would think. Discharge to 3.0 volts, tape ends so no short occurs, and wrap in a bag. They don't say what to do with them beyond that, but I don't think I want any lithium in MY drinking water. I guess landfills can store stuff in material that will never leak.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 PM

W4RCF: There is no hazardous material in a lipo battery. Lithium is not toxic like lead, for instance. They can be tossed in the garbage with no fear of contaminating anything...
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM

When fully charged and being used every other day is is a good idea to store lipos in let's say a fridge that would be used solely for that?