Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Build was so much fun I want to do it again!

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Build was so much fun I want to do it again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build was so much fun I want to do it again!

If you have been following my build log at all, you know that I have recently completed building a TREX 450 SE V2. I have flown her about 7 times and crashed once already pretty bad. The Heli is all better now, thank God!

I must say that everyone here has been great, chiming in with suggestions and answering questions that came up. I would especially like to thank my friend John for all of his late-night chat sessions and e-mail exchanges. Without his help, I would still be about 2 weeks away from completion. Of course, Finless Bob's many build videos and Jermo's DX7 setup video (most of it anyway) were TREMENDOUS help. I can't think of how a n00b TREX-er could have gotten through the build without those videos!

Anyway, I just wanted to share some thoughts and get your opinion on something. I really had a blast building the V2. Now that it's done, I am thinking about buying myself another Heli kit for Christmas so that I have something to do over the winter. What models shuld I be looking at? I may go with another TREX 450 V2 (this time the silver color scheme). I have also heard good things about the Mini Titan e325 and the HDX450. I think I was reading something about CopterX as well. Finally, there is the new TREX 500 coming out, though I worry about costs with the larger electrics. No nitro here, electric power only, please!

So, please share with me your recommendations with me. I want something that is equal or better than tfhe V2 as far as quality and availability and cost of parts is an issue as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
BoysToys

Default RE: Build was so much fun I want to do it again!

Why would you spend all that money on another 450 when you already have a V2?

I also have a V2 and have been getting better with it every time I fly. Personally, I and am planning on getting a T-Rex 500 shortly after it is released. If I am going to build another heli I want it to be larger so it will be more stable and easier to see in the sky. The 600 fits this perfectly but it is just too large for me to fly at my local school or park. I don't frequent a field or belong to a club so the 600 will have to wait for a while. The 500 will run off two 450 3s 2170 packs or one 3s 2200 or so packs so the batteries will be around $140 each. Not cheap at all but still not as expensive as a 600.

Good luck with your decision! And until then fly that V2 as often as you can!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:15 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Thanks for your thoughts! I have been looking around for some solid info on the TREX 500, but it is hard to come by.

The HDX450 is loooking very interesting...
Old 11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
HeliTB

Those packs go for $140 wow. I thought they were around $80.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: HeliTB

Those packs go for $140 wow. I thought they were around $80.
Each of my Flight Power 3s 2170 packs cost me $70 at my LHS. The T-Rex 500 will operate using two of these packs wired together. I was just looking at MaxAmps and one 6S 2100 pack will set you back $130. The T-Rex 500 is reported to get between 5-7 minutes, depending on your flying style, of flight time out of a 6s 2200 pack.

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

Thanks for your thoughts! I have been looking around for some solid info on the TREX 500, but it is hard to come by.

The HDX450 is loooking very interesting...
That heli does look very nice but it is still a 450 sized heli with 325mm blades where as the T-Rex 500 will use 425mm blades and I have watched a video where Andy from Align reports that you will also be able to run 460mm blades without streatching the tail boom. There is some excellent information about the T-Rex500 over at Helifreak.com. I would link you to it but I can't access it from my work computer.

If the T-Rex500 does not live up to the hype I may look into an [link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=3167]HDX500[/link] with 425mm blades or a [link=http://www.readyheli.com/204002_Hurricane_550_XES_PRO_SE_Helicopter_Combo_p/204002.htm]Hurricane 550[/link] using 475-550mm blades.

There are lots of good choices out there.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 AM
RussWisc

Now the Talk I am hearing is the T-Rex 500 is not out till Mid Dec [>:]

1st in the Far East after in USA and UK
Old 11-16-2007, 09:12 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can afford the batts the 600 is awesome, that's what I went for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68661.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	804905  
Old 11-16-2007, 09:15 AM
BryFlyGuy67

Hmm.... That Hurricane 550 is looking VERY interesting!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Maxime

Of course bigger is better, but if you want to stay in the same size (and cost range) the Titan E325 flies very well and is more stable than the T-Rex. We are a few helo addicts around here and I am one of the few ones flying the Rex. All the others are flying the Titan and they think it flies better. (I love my T-Rex )
Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
BryFlyGuy67

A friend of mine at work is going to start building a Mini Titan E325 here soon. If it were not for that fact, I would definitely go with the E325 as my first choice. I want to get something different than he has, though.

At this point, I have looked seriously at the following:

[ul][*]Another TREX 450 V2 (yes, I already have one, but can modify and set them up in different ways. Just like the 2 CX2's I have)[*] An HDX450[*] An HDX500[*]A TREX 500[*]A Hurricane 550[*]A TREX 600e
[/ul]

Right now, I'd have to say that my top 3 are the TREX V2, the HDX450 and the TREX 500.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Maxime

Don't forget that if your friend gets a E325 too.... you'll be able to trade spare parts and help each others with building and setup.....
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM
BryFlyGuy67

That IS a factor...
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM
matador_24

If you have lot of money, buy another heli, if you don't.... keep the money for spare parts, fly longer and learn faster...... I have crashed 17 times, for an amount close to 400dlls (I have a SIM to practice as well). One crash is probably nothing, multiply 17 times a variable amount of money that costS you 1 crash. You will want to have EVERYTHING in stock at home. Also, buy more lipos, you will never have enough (unless you get 10 as a guy in this forum). Become a champ flying FF, 8's, flaps, flying very fast have cost me lot of money, but I am pretty good now and I have been flying just for 1 month.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your thoughts about the many options that I have. The fact is that I DO have the $$, so I ama going to buy another one. I just can't choose which.

If I went with another 450 V2, I could get a different motor / ESC / Gyro and servo package that should make it fly differently than the stock V2 I curently have. On the other hand, going to something larger like the HDX500 or TREX500 would be nice too, especially since with both of those models, you can use packs you already have for the TREX.

I'd love a TREX-600E, but $300 for a LiPo pack is just way too steep for my blood. I'm the type of guy that likes to have a LOT of LiPo packs. I have 6 for my CX2's, two for my Walkera #4 (that also work in a modified CX2), I have 2 1800 packs for my Typhoon, I have the stock Align pack, an E-Flite 200 pack and finally, 2 Kong Power 25C 200 packs. I'm planning on getting more Kong Packs in the spring as long as they continue to perform well.

Let's say that I was going to get another 450 V2, what motor / ESC combo would you recommend for a different-flying Heli?

ANy other issues that I should consider?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 PM
JayDizzl879

The RC-Tek Sky Shark and Diablo look awesome! I've read lots of great things about these helis and I could see a Sky Shark being my next kit. The price isn't bad either plus, they come with a full sized aluminum case.

[link]http://www.rc-tek.com/us_store/[/link]

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680946[/link]
Old 11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Maxime

My friend just bought a JGF 500TH motor for his Mini-Titan, with a Phoenix 45 ESC and Medusa BEC. We haven't yet testflown the thing, but it should be MUCH more powerful than the stock Align or Tunder Tiger stuff....

And for Gyros if you want to try something different, maybe you could consider a Spartan....

Besides more power, however, I doubt this would be much different from what you already have....
Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 PM
restinpieces

i had all but made up my mind to go with the t-rex450sev2. then i looked at the hdx450sev3 again and got one. i'm glad i did.
quality looks real good. frame is g10 circuit board materal- no glitching. the head parts are interchangeable with t-rex, so you'd have
an emergency part if needed. the price is a bargin. ushobbysupply.com gave me a smokin deal and i had it in 3 days-florida to phoenix.
i'm about halfway thru my build now and real impressed with how everything fits and looks.
using a logictech 2100t gyro, hs55's ( cause i had them ) and a hs65 on the tail ( till i get a digital ), 3400kv brushless, 30a esc, and
2100mah lipo's. i'm waiting for the spectrum dx6i tx/rx.

t-rex is still #1, but if i had one and wanted anouther 450 size, i'd get the hdx450sev3. similar enough to where you could swap parts,
but different enough so you could compare the two and pick a favorite.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM
BryFlyGuy67

I know, I know! I really want to get a different brand, but there are so many out there and some places have parts for them and others don't. With the TREX, I have local acces to parts if I need something.

I will take a look at the RC-Tek and DIablo, though.