Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

tail rotor stops spinning?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

tail rotor stops spinning?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:36 AM
zaboaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail rotor stops spinning?

Had a small tail strike on landing today, now the tail rotor stops spinning when the motor gets up to speed. The belt and gears are all in good shape, but once it gets up to speed the Tail drive gear stops turning (part #73, the little silver gear on the main fuse). It definitely is slipping. Doesn't look like there is a screw on it, any ideas?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:05 PM
TheBum

Default RE: tail rotor stops spinning?

It's not an uncommon problem from what I've read (I've never experienced it myself). The solution is typically to use a drop of CA at the spot where the gear meets the shaft to keep it from slipping.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
zaboaa

That's interesting, anyone done this? Also how hard is it to replace the hole gear and shaft, looks like you have to take the frame apart to do it.
Has anyone tried this or know if it works with the SE V2?

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Shaft-Ge.../dp/B000KAE1JG

ORIGINAL: TheBum

It's not an uncommon problem from what I've read (I've never experienced it myself). The solution is typically to use a drop of CA at the spot where the gear meets the shaft to keep it from slipping.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheBum

If the teeth on the plastic part are already sheared, no amount of CA ig going to bond metal to plastic.

Replacement is the best solution.

Also how hard is it to replace the hole gear and shaft, looks like you have to take the frame apart to do it.
Yes, but is not that hard. The main reason that I always suggest to buy and assemble a kit instead of an ARF. You are not afraid to dis-assemble something to fix it.

Rafael
Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
rlsloan

Hold the tail rotor while yopu turn the main rotor to determine which pulley is slipping.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
zaboaa

It's the little blue gear attached to the axel that spins the tail rotor belt (12T silver gear on top). The teeth are not sheared. Tried to glue it but comes loose after a few revolutions. I'm going to order the microheli upgrade and see if it works better. I was able to get the original in and out, easy but tedious. Looking over past threads this seems to be a common problem with the align original part.

ORIGINAL: rlsloan

Hold the tail rotor while yopu turn the main rotor to determine which pulley is slipping.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
rlsloan

No need to go to the expense of a microheli upgrade unless you have $ to burn. Just replace the part.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: zaboaa
It's the little blue gear attached to the axel that spins the tail rotor belt (12T silver gear on top). The teeth are not sheared. Tried to glue it but comes loose after a few revolutions. I'm going to order the microheli upgrade and see if it works better. I was able to get the original in and out, easy but tedious. Looking over past threads this seems to be a common problem with the align original part.
No, the VISIBLE teeth are not sheared they seldom do, the ones that attach the plastic to the metal are the ones that shear. That is a pressure fit with some "splines" cut into the metal shaft where the plastic "GRABS". If the pastic has sheard in this area, there is no amount of glue that can help you as you already noticed.

Rafael