Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

New V2 worth $200 more than SA?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

New V2 worth $200 more than SA?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Old Dutch
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V2 worth $200 more than SA?

I am about to buy one or the other. I'm sure that you have considered each and the monies initially involved prior to buying. With the V2 can I look forward to saaving money when crashing? That is to say, fewer parts broken due to hop ups. It seems like a lot more money for someone in the newbie area. However, I know that quality usually pays off. I'm not sure if I should lay out the extra money now, or just replace broken items with better, as needed. What do you think?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New V2 worth $200 more than SA?

Do you fly helis now? If not, get a sim first. It will save you more than its cost in repairs. Realflight G3.5 is dropping now that G4 is out.

I much prefer the cleaner mechanics of the V2. Depending on where you are in your learning curve, it might make a difference in what you choose.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM
rlsloan

Get the SA.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:53 PM
RussWisc

why do you need to fly a SIM to fly a RC????? ,,,,, remember the day Computers didnt rule our lifes
a Sim is nice and dose help you practice .... but you dont have to fly on a Sim to fly a RC

the V2 is a very nice machine it has all the upgrades in the kit the SA is alot of plastic ... the V2 you need to assemble but thats a good thing ... you learn how the Heli works by assembling it ,, a SA all needed is install electronics and tune after you dissasemble and check if its all tread locked

what it comes down to is looks ,,,, plastic or Blue alum .... they both will fly Great if set up right ... in a crash the alum will hold up better
Old 11-27-2007, 05:55 PM
oly_rcer

hi i agree with vince get a sim first you'll learn a lot and its cheaper to crash,i have an sa model and i do well with it,as for is the v2 worth the price i notice a lot of folks are actually removing the metal bearing blocks and tail blocks from the se and replacing them with sa plastic parts,so that just leaves the tail and head metal i will be upgrading those parts as i crash so for me the sa was a good choice both will fly well tho
Old 11-27-2007, 06:08 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RussWisc
why do you need to fly a SIM to fly a RC?
You don't. But the typical new heli pilot will save more than the cost of the sim in repairs.
$160 is the current cost of G3.5
And even after the pilot gets through the crashy stage, the sim is a great tool for choreographing more advanced moves like flips, rolls and loops.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
RBCCONT

I have both a xl that is all plastic and the se with all the bling,I fly my xl every day it flies great.The se I only hover and fly slow circuits,Why you ask?I am not afraid to crash a $180 heli . but if and when (im sure there will be a when)I crash the se I will cry.I would go with the sa its easyer to fly mentally for me.The SE does seem to be more resonsive and snappy ,but if you are a beginer you dont really need that IMO.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
RussWisc

Old Dutch

down in your area there are many clubs ,,,, you can learn so much more and faster from some one who flys now ... check with your LHS for a club or some one to help you ,,, and yes try a Sim to help but dont count on it to be the only teaching tool.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Personally [sm=thumbs_up.gif] what RussWisc is saying is true. I found the task of assembling my V2 to be very daunting at first, but with Russ' and John's help, I got through it and could now build one or completely tear one down and rebuild it in about half the time. <fingers crossed here>, but the worst thing I have replaced are main shafts, blades amd one set of cyclic servos that I plan to rebuild with metal gears.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
RussWisc

OK I am planning on getting my 1st Sim this winter ,,,, for Fun in the long cold winters here ,,, and to help with more advanced 3D it dose and will help ,,,, I still feel how i learned 25 years ago is the Best ,,, from a live person that knows how to fly
Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 PM
wagspe208
My Feedback: (1)

Guys...dont bash me to much here.
I have a sim.
I started flying planes and helis long before the sims existed.
I am a hands on guy.
I use the sim to practice 3d stuff, experiment, etc.
Also, don't forget all of the younger guys (say under 30 ish) grew up with computers. Hell I was listening on the radio today...kids would rather play the rockstar video game than learn to play a guitar.
Maybe a generational thing. Younger cannot live without a computer. Older remembers when there were no computers and you were fored to live life.
No right or wrong!!
Just differences.
Wags
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Old Dutch

My thanks to all for responding to my inquiry. I do have, and extensively use, a sim. I have Realflight and recently tried out a couple others. Hands down winner is from Phoenix RC. You can't believe the difference! Great physics (especially for heli's) and the grafics will blow your mind. Some years ago I learned to fly airplanes on the original Realflight. I believe that there is nothing like actually flying the model, and along with an instructor. However, what I am hoping to learn on the sim at this time is orientation. I have practised an hour an day for 2 months on the sim and have gotten much out of it. I no longer have to "think" about what is going on before reacting. It is coming along instinctively now. I can't quite hover inverted now, but then again I may never even try that with a model. I'm near 75 yrs. old and do a good job with many types and sizes of airplanes. Some are highly aerobatic, but I prefer to fly scale-like. I enjoy flight. I enjoy watching birds fly as well as aircraft. I do not enjoy seeing someone (with great skillss) tossing a heli around like a bucket of bolts trying to rid itself of some imaginary demon!

My style of flying may not require a whole lot of high performance components. My main concern is limiting crash damage and longevity. I'm just not in a financial position to keep on buying new models. My dealer is suggesting that I buy Horizon's new Blade 400 3D. Under $400 for the whole shebang. But....It's all plastic, minimal (in my mind) electronics, landing gear, etc. Not Bell-Hiller either. I'm no doubt going T-Rex. If I can convince myself that the V2 offers more stable control and that there would be fewer replacement parts, I will buy the V2. I am not looking for "bling", just a solid value.

Thanks again, and I'd appreciate additional comments as well. Cheers.........Rich
Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 PM
HeliTB

Get a SIM and the SA. Upgrade the SA with aluminum as you crash, Oh you will.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: Old Dutch

My style of flying may not require a whole lot of high performance components. My main concern is limiting crash damage and longevity. I'm just not in a financial position to keep on buying new models.
If the V2 and the SA are setup properly they will pretty much fly the same. The V2 is the latest model with all of Align's current "upgrades" already included. The V2 will cost more upfront but will cost less to repair after each crash. I own a V2 and have crashed it pretty good 4 times. The only parts I have broken so far are main blades, feathering shaft, main shaft, fly bar, main gear, tail blades, tail belt, and a bunch of O-Ring dampers. After a crash I can rebuild and be flying again in about 45 minutes. With the SA model you will bend/break all of these plus additional plastic head and tail parts.

If you decide to upgrade to the V2 head as you crash it will set you back way more than $200. . Just the V2 head will set you back [link=http://www.readyheli.com/HS1247_84_450V2_450_V2_Main_Rotor_Head_Set_p/hs1247-84.htm]$165[/link] a complete metal tail will run [link=http://www.readyheli.com/HS1259_84_Align_450V2_Metal_Tail_Unit_p/hs1259-84.htm]$41[/link] with grips costing [link=http://www.readyheli.com/HS1257_84_Align_450V2_Metal_Tail_Holder_Set_p/hs1257-84.htm]$20[/link]. That is a total of $225 and that is not counting the newer 430XL motor, the newer 35X ESC with 6V bec, the nice V2 Fiberglass Canopy, and the V2 Carbon frames vs. the SA aluminum. I am sure tht there are other differences but those are the once I can think of right now.

I built my V2 last July. I looked at what was working for others and just copied their setup. I am running the V2, a Gy401 with a 9650, 3 HS-65MGs, a DX7 with an AR6100, with Flight Power Evo25 3s 2170 lipos. My setup cost me right at a grand with one good battery. It was hard to part with all of that money up front, but I have been happily flying for 5 months now without any problems that were not caused by my crashing.

I hope this has helped your decision. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Old Dutch

Well Boys Toys, I thank you for your response. I appreciate knowing which parts are most likely to be broken in a crash and those which could have been, but were not, due to already installed "up-grades". This is exactly what I want to factor in when making my decision. I am old enough to know that often when you buy cheap......you buy more than once! Other than loss in terms of money is the loss in time flying. As for time involved in repairs, well I am used to spending many weeks of rebuilding when I've had a large scale plane go down.

As of right now, I am leaning toward the V2 as being the overall best value, bringing with it much satisfaction and pride of ownership.

Thank you very much for your informative reply.........Rich
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Old Dutch

Well.......I did it. I bought the V2. It's probably a good thing that I really don't know just what lies ahead now, as I proceed to put it together, etc. ......and then learn to fly it. But I guess that's like a lot of things, including life itself. Just jump right in there with the rest of 'em!!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 AM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: Old Dutch

Well.......I did it. I bought the SE V2. It's probably a good thing that I really don't know just what lies ahead now, as I proceed to put it together, etc. ......and then learn to fly it. But I guess that's like a lot of things, including life itself. Just jump right in there with the rest of 'em!!

Congrats on the new Heli! Go over to Helifreak and check out the [link=http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373]Finless Bob's TRex 450 Build and Setup Videos[/link]. I burned these on a DVD and watched/followed them out in the garage as I built my V2. My heli spooled up perfectly and the blades tracked nicely. All I had to do was add a couple of clicks of trim and adjust my gryo to get rid of some tail wag and I was good to go.

Have Fun and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 AM
BoysToys

Ooops. Double post1
Old 12-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Old Dutch

Thanks for all the info. This is a very busy time (wife's health issues plus Holiday plans, etc.). So, I may not get at this for a bit. Don't what to feel rushed when I do. I'll get back to you when I'm hard at it. Best wishes.....Rich