Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

DX7: Throttle and Pitch curve +/- keys on Tx

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

DX7: Throttle and Pitch curve +/- keys on Tx

Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 AM
BryFlyGuy67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7: Throttle and Pitch curve +/- keys on Tx

Hi there. New TREX V2 flyer here. I have a basic setup with HS-65MG's on cyclic, Futaba 401 and 9650 for the tail. I have a DX7 (Heli flavor, I think) and I have noticed that there are two +/- "switches" on either side of center. I believe that one says "hover" and the other "throttle". I am not sure, because I am at work and don't have my radio with me. They are immediately to the inside of the GEAR and AUX2 switches, respectively. Can someone explain better the function of these switches?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
soop7667

Default RE: DX7: Throttle and Pitch curve +/- keys on Tx

One is called Hover Pitch Rocker, the other Hover Throttle Rocker. The hovering throttle rocker increases or decreases the engine throttle position for the center point only of the throttle curve. Use of the hovering throttle rocker shifts the middle curve upward or downward. Therefore, operation of the hovering throttle rocker does not cause any change to the high point and low point of
the throttle curve but only affects the hovering rpm. The hovering throttle rocker only affects the throttle curve in
normal mode and has no effect on the curve in Stunt 1 or Stunt 2. The hovering pitch rocker operates in the same manner as the hovering throttle rocker. It is operable while the flight mode is in the N, or Normal, position, and its function is to shift the center of the curve either upward or downward to adjust pitch at the hover position.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Great! That was what I was looking for. Now, in practical terms, do they have any use? Do TREX pilots of any experience level use these features?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 PM
BoysToys

Thanks to Soop, I now know what those switches are for!

Anyway, I am FAR FROM an expert pilot but the only switches I use on my DX7 are the Idle up and Throttle Hold switch. I typically switch off my throttle hold switch, spool up my V2 until I get to midstick with the blades at 0 pitch and the heli still on the the ground then switch over to idle up. I fly until my timer beeps, switch to normal mode, land, and then switch on my throttle hold switch. I then repeat this process until all of my batteries are dead.

IMHO, if you take the time to setup your throttle and pitch curves correctly you will not need those switches. When I was learning and too afraid to switch into idle up, I reprogrammed my pitch curve to be a little flatter around midstick. This is just like adding expo and kept the heli from "jumping" up and down due to my inexperiance. Now I only fly in normal mode for about 15-20seconds at the end of a flight to land. I could just land in idle up and then hit the throttle hold switch but for some reason I just do it this way.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 PM
hennesseylord

i pretty much fly in the same way boystoys, i think its a really good habbit to get into....going from normal to idle up, then normal to land and hit that throttle hold, learning good habbits right off the bat is a good way to progress faster.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 PM
soop7667

Funny - I always flew strictly in normal, but now I pretty much fly in stunt 2 at all times. I spool up in normal, and once my head speed get's where it needs to be, I flip straight into stunt 2. When landing I usually hit hold as I approach the pad and do a short auto on the way down.
Now, in practical terms, do they have any use? Do TREX pilots of any experience level use these features?
When I was flying my T-Rex I would use the throttle/pitch rockers to adjust the performance of my normal mode. For instance, let's say you wanted to have a bit more power, without going into stunt mode. If you decrease the pitch rocker to it's lowest extent, and increase the throttle rocker to it's highest extent, you end up with a lot mroe head speed, and less pitch @ midstick. This leaves loads of power stored up in your rotor for high speed collective climbouts. And the opposing is also true - if you wanted to tone down your performance in normal mode, you can increase pitch and lower throttle. It gives you a nice low headspeed to practice hovering maneuvers likenose in. It's not nearly as twitchy with a lower headspeed.