Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

450 V2 tail belt problem?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

450 V2 tail belt problem?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM
zaboaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 V2 tail belt problem?

I just had a new belt only last about 6 flites. What is happening is the belt is slipping from the tail rotor pully. If looking from the rear it goes off to the left. II might of been running the belt too loose. After it happned I reset the tail. But I think the damage was already done. When I flew it again it did the same thing, this time it actually flipped the belt upside down. Any other thoughts?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Bretuk

Default RE: 450 V2 tail belt problem?

I had a similar problem with my belt, I removed the IDLER PULELY and applied some silicon spray and so far no problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55708.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	836743  
Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
zaboaa

ORIGINAL: Bretuk

I had a similar problem with my belt, I removed the IDLER PULLY and applied some silicon spray and so far no problems.

Is that the smoth pully on top? I went out today and bought one with a flange so it wouldn't drift.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 AM
ct420

You don't need one with a flange. The best mod is to just remove it. There have been many discussions about this, and it seems that those in the know have decided that it's not needed at all, and is best just removed.

A true idler pulley needs to be spring loaded so it presses on the belt with the correct amount of tension to keep it tight. However, this pulley can't do that, as it's just mounted with a bolt. It doesn't press down on the belt at all, and therefore, does nothing really, but provide an un-necessary point of contact/wear for the belt.

I took mine out the last time I had the tail apart, and it's run fine ever since. I didn't have any problems before to speak of, but I do think the belt is wearing slower now. The teeth still look perfect after many flights, where before they would get sorta rounded on the ends pretty quickly...

The most important things to check if your belt runs off the pulley is to make sure that the tail shaft is perfectly 90 degrees to the main shaft. Also make sure there is no end play in the tail shaft, and that the bearings are in good shape, etc. If all that is good, and the belt is in good shape, and the tension is correct, it should run for a long time with no problems...
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 PM
zaboaa

Great reply, thanx. I readjusted my shaft to 90 degrees, but I still se the belt rests on the left side of the rear pully/gear. How canfix that?

ORIGINAL: ct420

You don't need one with a flange. The best mod is to just remove it. There have been many discussions about this, and it seems that those in the know have decided that it's not needed at all, and is best just removed.

A true idler pulley needs to be spring loaded so it presses on the belt with the correct amount of tension to keep it tight. However, this pulley can't do that, as it's just mounted with a bolt. It doesn't press down on the belt at all, and therefore, does nothing really, but provide an un-necessary point of contact/wear for the belt.

I took mine out the last time I had the tail apart, and it's run fine ever since. I didn't have any problems before to speak of, but I do think the belt is wearing slower now. The teeth still look perfect after many flights, where before they would get sorta rounded on the ends pretty quickly...

The most important things to check if your belt runs off the pulley is to make sure that the tail shaft is perfectly 90 degrees to the main shaft. Also make sure there is no end play in the tail shaft, and that the bearings are in good shape, etc. If all that is good, and the belt is in good shape, and the tension is correct, it should run for a long time with no problems...
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Mike Sell

The aluminum tail piece forthe 450 has some quality controll issues. You might be smart to put the plastic tail piece back on. The gear is not straight and the belt will creep off and fly apart. The two people I know that have the 450 with aluminum tail piece have had the same problem.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
SederGraphics

Thanks Bretuk for the info on the idler pulley. I've been fighting the belt problem for a while now. The belt was always riding the left side and would ride all the way to the left once in a while when I pushed the heli real hard with any trick that had high piro rates, or when the rotor RPMs were low in normal mode. Removed the idler today at the flying field and the belt rides direct center now. Tried and tried and couldn't get the belt to anything it wasn't supposed to do.

Thanks again. Great advice.

Kraig
Old 01-01-2008, 09:21 PM
zaboaa

i fixed mine also, I replaced the rotor axel. It has a little bend in it. Belt rides good now...