Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Why do they call it a 450? (strange question)

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Why do they call it a 450? (strange question)

Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Andir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do they call it a 450? (strange question)

I just got to thinking. What does the 450 stand for in the TRex 450? 500? 600? If anyone also knows, what are the .30-.60 significance on the bigger models as well?

At first I thought it might be the engine/motor, but the 450SE V2 I just ordered has a 430XL motor. Then I figured maybe it was the rotor size, but the blades are 315 - 335mm. I then thought about the length, but if I remember reading correctly, the XL has a longer tail(?)

Is it just a model number or is it significant?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Why do they call it a 450? (strange question)

Generally refers to the motor size/class. They're referred to as "400" size helicopters because they use speed 400 class motors, a naming convention that was started I think by graupner with brushed motors way back. It doesn't really apply anymore with brushless motors but electric heli companies persist on using the naming system anyways.

The same as above holds true for 300, 500 and 600 classed models, but like I said, it's a silly naming system that doesn't really tell you anything about the motors anymore or even really about the models size, the T-rex 500 being a good example of this. Typically "500" class machines are close in size to a .30 size nitro helicopter. In reality, the T-rex 500 is actually smaller with a smaller blade of only 425mm, not 500mm.

Personally I think a better way to class the helicopters would be by blade length. 325 for the micros, 425 - 450 for the new small to mid size models like the T-Rex 500 or Hirobo Lepton, 500-550 for the mid sized electrics, 600 - 620 for the larger ones, and 700+ for the largest.

As far as nitro machines, the .25 .30 .50 represents engine size in terms of displacement in I believe cubic inches.
Basically it's just the size of the engine used in the model, which is then used to classify model size as is currently done with the electrics. The difference is that there is no wild difference in power and size between one .50 size engine and another.
Some might be a little better, or hold head speed better under torque depending on the quality of their build, but they're not like an electric motor which can produce wildly different power output from the exact same can size depending on winds, loading, voltage used, etc.

It's for this reason that nitro planes and helis typically classify models by engine size, because you know that if you stick a .30 sized engine into a model designed around a .30 sized engine, that model is going to fly, regardless of the make of engine (usually, anyways ). It's a good system and while I understand why the electric market hasn't been able to adopt a similar naming scheme, it's still annoying .

Hope that helps.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Great explanation. I have heard this explained previously, but the way you put it really made sense. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM
TheBum

ORIGINAL: credence

Personally I think a better way to class the helicopters would be by blade length. 325 for the micros, 425 - 450 for the new small to mid size models like the T-Rex 500 or Hirobo Lepton, 500-550 for the mid sized electrics, 600 - 620 for the larger ones, and 700+ for the largest.
RC-Tek has already started doing this. However, since the legacy sizing conventions are so deeply engrained in most people's minds, they've taken the approach of putting the blade length in parentheses, e.g. RCT-450(325).
Old 12-31-2007, 05:00 PM
ct420

I think the '450' also came about, because it is simply 'a little bit bigger than 400'.

Before the T-REX450 came out, electric 400 helis like the Shogun dominated the market. When align released the bigger T-REX, they called it a 450 as a comparision to these 400 helis that were out at the time...

I's a pretty arbitrary number for reasons others have pointed out. Blade size makes more sense to me also.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ct420

I think the '450' also came about, because it is simply 'a little bit bigger than 400'.

Before the T-REX450 came out, electric 400 helis like the Shogun dominated the market. When align released the bigger T-REX, they called it a 450 as a comparision to these 400 helis that were out at the time...

I's a pretty arbitrary number for reasons others have pointed out. Blade size makes more sense to me also.

I suspect marketing probably has something to do with it as well. The general uneducated buyer will see "400 vs 450" and think to them self, well, 450 is higher than 400, so it must be better! [:-]
Old 12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Andir

Yeah, but as I mentioned, blades for the 450 blades can range from 315-335mm (from what I've seen) so you'd have to spec a size or range it. Personally, coming new into the Heli hobby, I'd love to see them sold by blade size, but you can always change it out for bigger/smaller blades. (Same for the motor, so I guess it doesn't matter as much, but the motor is more permanent.)

Anyway, I got the answer I was looking for, thanks for the information!!