Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-Wrecks???

Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Wrecks???

Thought I'd start a post where everyone could share their worst run-ins with random objects and a helicopters natural enemy... the ground! I and everyone else are looking forward to hearing your stories.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 AM

Default RE: T-Wrecks???

My worst wreck (so far) has been while it was sitting on the ground! I landed, looked down at my timer for a moment, and I heard main blades whacking the ground. I had kept the headspeed up a little higher than normal and a puff of wind had tipped the heli over enough to cause the blade strike. Cost - 1 carbon blade for the 600 Electric
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 AM

LOL.....I think I have that one beat. I was flying my Blade CP and set her down. All of a sudden the head speed max'd out and the bird did a backflip landing on the head.....LOL! That thing looked like a fish out of water. Damage: both main blades, head, grips, main spindle.

You just never know about that 4-in-1...LOL!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: helorookie

LOL.....I think I have that one beat. I was flying my Blade CP and set her down. All of a sudden the head speed max'd out and the bird did a backflip landing on the head.....LOL! That thing looked like a fish out of water. Damage: both main blades, head, grips, main spindle.

You just never know about that 4-in-1...LOL!
I dunno man I think the other guy wins, carbon blades for the 600 are more expensive than those parts
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 AM

During my Diablo's first few flights, it was the victim of a heli-eating rosemary bush...twice. Other than that, the worst run-ins with the ground have always been when I've lost control at low altitude (a couple of feet or less off the ground). The only two booms I've bent have been as a result of low altitude crashes. With most of my high altitude crashes, I've been flying again within 30 minutes. Go figure...
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Please see the following post. 'nuff said.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6869209/tm.htm
Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM

Up until a week ago, my worst wreck with the trex was walking out the door, bumped it on the door frame and dropped it. It tweaked the spindle worse than any wreck I've had with any heli. Had a heck of a time just getting the spindle out of the bearing.

Last week I had my first boom strike. I didn't even come down that hard but it still smacked it. So all the usual: Boom, blades, spindle, tail belt, landing skid.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Either the 450sa going in from FFF, trashed head. Or the Raptor30 that while setting up and hovering in my yard, got the stupid idea to do a pirouette, it leaned and dug a blade and wadded itself up. Still gotta fix those.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 PM

I recently obtained a used TREX 450 XL from a friend rebuilt it from top to bottom and have expereinced a strange occurence twice now. Built the helicopter and it flew great. After a few flights a noticed a vibration as the tail fin was vibrating. The vibration got worse until eventually I had it in about a 6 foot over and the main shaft sudenly bent over about 35 degrees. Fortunately I cut the throttle and the only thing dmaged was the main shaft. I installed a new main shaft, checkd everything out and reassembled. Again it flew great but after a few flights I noticed the vibration was back. I was being very cautious becuase I wasn't sure what was happening. Again I had it in a hover about 6 foot off the ground and the main shaft suddenly bent over about 35 degrees. This time it got the tail boom. The local hobby store said it may have been a bad batch of main shafts. I have all the parts to fix it but am reluctant to fix it again until I find the source of the problem. Any Ideas? Never seen this happen before
Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 PM

My worst crash was when I tried my first loop with my CP Pro after installing new servos. The heli came over and never pulled out, and hit the ground full speed. It costed new spindle, and tailboom, which was actually less than the time it wasnt in idle up, and just tipped over in the grass.

Joe
Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 PM

I'd have to say when I was trying a backflip with a knock-off heli that didn't have enough elevator throw and not near enough negitive pitch, it slowed down but still went into the ground at full speed inverted from about 40 feet up....[:-]
Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 PM

trex-450se:

carbon main blades
carbon tail blades
carbon flybar paddles
flybar rod
main shaft
feathering shafts
main gear
tail belt
canopy
landing gear
landing skids
gy401
linkages in the head
and my tail servo connector

All from one crash, lesson learned, never fly over concrete...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 AM

okay that last one sounds nasty lol my buddy was over and brought his cx2.we're in my back yard (i have a really big backyard)
slight breeze blowing hmmm will that fly up to those tree branches?yep prob is the wind caught it about 60-75 ft in the air and blew it over the house.well there's a road with a bit of traffic on that side and by the time we got there no less than a toyota pu and a mustang tagged it, loss? the whole damn thing lololol oh well glad it wasn't the rex
Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 AM

I have a Heli-Max AXE CP that wouldn't idle up. I set the radio down, took off the canopy and was reaching for the battery to disconnect it when it spun up full speed. It flew up about 20 feet and then came crashing to the ground. It flopped around a little and then laid there silently. The lipo pack gave out one last dying breath before it was done. My lil'buddy was gone forever. [:@]

Shortly after I rebuilt the AXE CP, I named it Lil' Buddy 2. I was flying inside the hangar where I work. A friend was talking to me while I was flying around the shop and the next thing I knew my lil'buddy was headin' full speed into a 40 ft tall steel hangar door. Steel -vs- AXE CP. Steel won! That was the same day I got my RC Tek 450. I rebuilt the AXE CP, naming it the Lil'Buddy 3. I haven't flown it since. I'm selling it so I can buy more lipo packs for my 450.

Ted
Old 01-09-2008, 06:45 PM

I was flying my t-rex 600 when the bec battery died. It did a sort of "Autorotation." The problem was it was coming for a landing right ar ME! I jumped, it hit the gravel HARD sideways and i was pelted with rocks from the main blade. LOL LOSS - $7.99 Landing Gear, nicked tail rotor, main blades were FINE! I love that big old strong heli!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Well, this one was not me, but I was trimming out a friends Honey Bee CP for him. I flew it around a while and landed it and told him it was ready to go. He hit full throttle and full forward collective and the heli flew smack into my garage door. The damage was not that bad, but boy did it happen fast!

I had my worst mishap on my own a couple of weeks ago. I was doing my first flips. I did three forward flips and landed safely. I was brining in the heli and my wife met met on my way back to the house and said "do it again!" so I did. I made it through two and a half flips. I went in inverted, it was ugly but the damage was not that bad. Just blades, holders and a couple of mixing arms.

Steve

Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 PM

how do you post a thread???? i want to know plz
Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM

then i'll leave plz tell me
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM

fine don't tell me
Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: cheuett

I was flying my t-rex 600 when the bec battery died. It did a sort of "Autorotation." The problem was it was coming for a landing right ar ME! I jumped, it hit the gravel HARD sideways and i was pelted with rocks from the main blade. LOL LOSS - $7.99 Landing Gear, nicked tail rotor, main blades were FINE! I love that big old strong heli!
Wow impressive durability!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

After 5 min. of flying I was landing my Trex600 from 30ft up and the motor went up in smoke it was like a chimney. Can't do anything but autorotate and only broke the skids...
Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM

worst crash..... wow, don't know where to start as I've had quite a few over the past year getting through the learning curve. From hovering mishaps, nose in training, failed loop attempts, or just dumb thumbs.

However, the most dramatic crash was while flying on a roof top over Downtown Los Angeles, 17 stories up. Things were going great until I realized there are some strange up drafts and wind currents that swirl around high rise buildings. One such gust blew my TREX 450 into a fence breaking the main blades plunging my poor heli 17 stories to it's death. The heli was a complete loss, however, ALL the electronics survived except for the TP LiPo and the servo case on the S9650!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15510.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	850106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15055.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	850107  
Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM

BUMMER, dude! [] Oh well, you live, fly, crash and learn....
Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM

LOL, man I bet you were pissed! But at least you save most of the electronics!

That does look cool flying in LA at night!

Skarn
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gnd2

Up until a week ago, my worst wreck with the trex was walking out the door, bumped it on the door frame and dropped it. It tweaked the spindle worse than any wreck I've had with any heli. Had a heck of a time just getting the spindle out of the bearing.

Last week I had my first boom strike. I didn't even come down that hard but it still smacked it. So all the usual: Boom, blades, spindle, tail belt, landing skid.

I hate to get off track but a few years ago, a friend showed up at the field with his three planes in the back of his truck for a nice day of flying. We started to help him unload. On the way over, someone had cut in front of him and he had to hit the brakes hard and he had his music up loud and did not hear these three planes come smashing to the front of the truck bed. He had placed them in the truck tail first and all three backs ends bust busted clean off. It was not good but really funny at the same time.