Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 2.4 radios essential on electric heli's??? >

2.4 radios essential on electric heli's???

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

2.4 radios essential on electric heli's???

Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 radios essential on electric heli's???

I'm in the process of selling most my r/c fleet to acquire a TRex 450 sa or se. Plus sell my old JR XP652 radio in exchange for a better, newer heli radio.

I'd love to have $630 to spend on a JR 9303 but is it all that necessary with electric heli's such as the TRex to get the 2.4 version or a DX7? I notice you can pick up an older PPM/PCM 9303 for $300-$400. Would I seriously benefit from spending the extra dough? I appreciate your opinions.

Also, I'm not so fond of the DX7 for some reason. So if I went 2.4, I'd go with a 9303. Something about not using a JR just doesn't sit right with me. And the fact that the DX7's this bland, cheap grey that just isn't as impressive as even the stealth looks of the 7202. Hah. over analyze much? Thanks again.

Rick.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:53 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 2.4 radios essential on electric heli's???

A good 2.4 radio on the Trex is key to glitch free operation. I tried everything - grounding, ferrite rings, deans antenna, & electronics placement. None of them fixed the glitch problem. When I went to the DX-7 (sold a 9C) no more glitches. If you are concerned about the color of a radio you may be focusing on the wrong things.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:51 AM

Got to think about some priorities dude. You thinking about getting a trex 450 "sa", yet you complain about the look of a DX7...... am i missing something.... isnt the DX7 basically a JR anyway. People have talked about this and the cases look the same.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 AM

"Also, I'm not so fond of the DX7 for some reason. So if I went 2.4, I'd go with a 9303. Something about not using a JR just doesn't sit right with me. And the fact that the DX7's this bland, cheap grey that just isn't as impressive as even the stealth looks of the 7202. Hah. over analyze much? Thanks again."

I don't care what it looks like I works great. One of the best radios I've ever owned. I selling off the rest of the radios I own and buying receivers.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM

I presently use a JR 9303 PCM and really like it for the Rex but I will go 2.4 on the 9303 in the near future.
At this time no glitches
Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 360 Likes on 290 Posts

I run both PCM and 2.4 and don't have problems with either one on my electric or nitro helis.

The dx7 is a great radio for the price and is for all purposes, a JR. The allure of not having to worry about a frequency pin or shootdown if you fly at a busy club may be worth the switch to 2.4 alone. I'm lucky, there's only one other radio in my club on my 9c's channel and he's not there every weekend and dosn't always have the plane thats on my channel when he is.

It's really nice when you go to fly ins and dont have your radio impounded.

But pcm works just fine, do whatever is best for you, they all work.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I appreciate the responses guys. And your all right. Function should be priority, and I'm sure it's an excellent radio. It just really boils down to how much $$ I end up with and deciding to spend.

So some say wicked glitch problems, other say none. Still a little lost as to how effective the 2.4 is even though right near this thread currently is another labelled, "2.4 and glitches". Haven't read it yet but..

Also, to whomever stated if I'm worried about looks why would I be going for the trex SA? Because it's a great looking heli. I think all trex's look superior to their competition. Great looking and hopefully performing craft.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM

They all perform very well, but if you are worried about things looking cheap and wanting bling then you'd better look at the V2. The DX7 is a great TX and i have not had one problem with it, well maybe the standard battery could be better, but that would be it.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 PM

No glitches as of yet with my 450SE V2 and 9CHP on PCM. I even have the RX on the front tray under the battery.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 360 Likes on 290 Posts

Both the Mini Titan and 450SA review helis had Futaba PCM recievers with no glitches. I've flown the mini titan hundreds of times with the 146iP reciever and the only glitch was me trying to do piro flips way too low to the ground, but that was my fingers not the radio.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 AM

ORIGINAL: heliaction

Got to think about some priorities dude. You thinking about getting a trex 450 "sa", yet you complain about the look of a DX7...... am i missing something.... isnt the DX7 basically a JR anyway. People have talked about this and the cases look the same.
Yep I think you missed the bus. lol This is what I have heard and I don't know if its true or not but.... As far as I know JR makes the radio case for some if not all Spektrum radio's I'm not sure about the DX6i, but Spektrum uses there own electronics. The DX7 is the same case as the 7202 some of the car radios are the same also just a different color and Spectrum I think uses JR servos like the 821 the specs are the exact same and the number, they are just a different color again. Most likely Horizon has something to do with all this because not only are they the US distribuitor they are also the service point in the US. If you send a radio in either JR or Spektrum you will send it to Champaign, IL, just don't send it to Great Planes or Tower they are all in the same town.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 AM

It really depends on the kit. I recently build a carbon fiber t rex 500 and I would not think of putting anything else than 2.4 in it because of all the possibilities of noise created from the carbon fiber, metal head, bearings etc...A lot of people have glitches with T-rex (definitely not everyone), ferrite rings fix a lot of them, but on the flipside with 2.4 there is hardly any glitching to speak of.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:53 AM

I always thought that Spektrum was JR. JR used the Spektrum name just in case it flopped so that they wouldn't risk harming the JR name. I believe a lot of the new radios are JR-Spektrum now that they have caught on to mass market approval.

I am looking in to building a T-REX 450 SE, all i have now is the AXE-CP that I learned on so basically it would require me to buy new radio gear. I am looking at buying the Futaba 7ch heli FASST (2.4) radio gear for my 450. I'll probbaly wait till its closer to summer though so that I can actually fly it once its built
Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DX7 is JR! Close your eyes and hold on to a JR 7202 and then a DX7. The marketing guys are great aren't they [:@]. This way you have to keep buying and buying, plus I think JR didn't want to introduce the 2.4 Spektrum and have any bad rap in the process. I love my DX7, no channel worries.