Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 FIRST FLIGHT ! !  T-Rex 450sev2 >

FIRST FLIGHT ! ! T-Rex 450sev2

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

FIRST FLIGHT ! ! T-Rex 450sev2

Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRST FLIGHT ! ! T-Rex 450sev2

After spending hours of watching videos, tweaking, retweaking, learning, learning some more; I figured I had Her dialed in good enough for the first flight. I could only fly a couple of minutes on a little charged battery. I could feel the battery cutoff pulsing it, so set it down.

My Neighbor was running His powerwasher, so that's most of the Audio, unfortunately.

There were small gusts of wind coming off the roof creating downdrafts, but with the higher headspeed curve (via Finless curve) it was pretty stable. I did the 0,50,80,90,100 with -4 pitch at 0, 0% at 50, 10% at 100.

I slid it around a bit, but that's about it.

I haven't got the wires cleaned up yet, but they are out of the way. Sorry, I couldn't wait any longer!

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/JC5W17Z8GYGY7Y9M (freshly uploaded, so might not work for a few minutes of this post).

Thanks for all of Your help, Guys!

I'll have more questions, I'm sure. Some pics to follow.

Gary
Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 PM

Default RE: FIRST FLIGHT ! ! T-Rex 450sev2

Some pics.

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-126559.jpg Finished with all wiring tucked away.

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-126557.jpg Still some work to do.

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-126561.jpg Finished with Canopy off.

Thanks
Gary
Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 AM

Congrats!!! The first spool up is a very rewarding experiance. I just flew my T-Rex 500CF for the first time on Saturday and know exactly how you feel right now. Now get that battery charged and start flying some more!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 AM

Congrats bro!

It's definitely an awesome feeling when you make your first flight on something you build yourself!

I too got my first flights in this weekend...it flew great and now I just need to get the nads to do nose-in and forward flight. I just didn't feel like wrecking my first new build in the first weekend! I've been on the sim for hours each night so maybe this coming weekend I'll get more nerve.

Good luck in your progression and keep us posted!

Skarn
Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 AM

I also have my radio set up like yours.

What do you have your swash settings at? I have mine at 60, 60, 70 for now and it seems fine.

Also, did you set your throttle hold switch to -0.5? (the default on mine). I never had a throttle hold on my Blace CP, and I have to say it's an awesome feature. A lot of the TREX guys use it whenever they wreck and say it's saved them a lot of money...especially when we get to idle up/stunt mode.

Good luck again,
Skarn
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Congrats!

How do I get to see your video?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: goldslinger

. I could only fly a couple of minutes on a little charged battery. I could feel the battery cutoff pulsing it, so set it down.

Congradulation and I do know the feeling too.
The funny thing is that even if I fly my King 2 very confortably at well over 100 flights ,when I spooled up the Rex I had that feeling again.

I flew my friends T-Rex sunday after the repair of the freak accident and I was nervous, I guess it stayed with me, but considering the breezy condition and the training on it handle well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulG91/...htAfterRepairs

Just a note, try to avoid using a partial charge battery as the controler will think that the charge it has is the full charge and voltage and could put you in trouble.

For ground testing its ok but not for flying

Have fun and take your time and savour every minute you hover and fly this little Rex
Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Skarn

I also have my radio set up like yours.

What do you have your swash settings at? I have mine at 60, 60, 70 for now and it seems fine.

Also, did you set your throttle hold switch to -0.5? (the default on mine). I never had a throttle hold on my Blace CP, and I have to say it's an awesome feature. A lot of the TREX guys use it whenever they wreck and say it's saved them a lot of money...especially when we get to idle up/stunt mode.

Good luck again,
Skarn
Thanks, All.

Skarn,

I just got a carpenter's bubble Today for the flybar to set the servo travels.

I'm gonna use two tiny, but very powerful magnets and mount one on the bubble, and use another one underneath the paddle to secure the bubble on the paddles that way, instead of using d. sided tape. The Niobium magnets are powerful enough for the emf to go through the plastic paddles and secure the bubble where I want it.

That is a good idea on the throttle hold ! Thanks!

I have moved the weights in about an inch or so, as it was a little too sluggish in the windy conditions.

Gary
Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Now I see the video, looks good! Nice bird and seems to be well setup!

Look forward to more vids.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM

cool after finally getting everything together watching all the setup vids and playing with my sim,i finally got my batts today and charged them,put them in the rex and spooled it up to check tracking and balance,no vibration but about 1/4 in out of track spool down reset tracking spool up blades right on track.set it on floor and spool up,raining bad and windy out so am in my garage.head speed up LIFTOFF woohoo thing went up and held at a hover about 3 feet up steady as a rock didnt even need to adjust gyro gain or trims woohoo cant wait till its nice enough to take it outside and see what i can do sure is a lot more stable than my old hbk2 thats for sure.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM

Gary--

Looking good ! I see no training gear....! To stable for that eh ?! I haven't flown anything for 10 days... 1200 miles from home. But I have all my heli's with me. They stick with me like glue ! Just been to busy down here in Cali. Went to L.A for a few days, a comfortable 78 degrees down there. Here in central Cali it's averaging 72 degrees. Man, I left wet windy and snowy conditions to sunny and warm weather, and getting things ready for some nice flying weather. I'll be thinkin' of ya while I'am sippin margaritas and getting back to some nice flying weather ! I think I'am staying for a few months. Spent the day today getting the birds ready and batteries charged for some flying. Hope I haven't gotten to rusty with the sticks ! I bet your loving that thing by now. Won't have to much time for the forums, but I'll be checking in time to time. Glad to see you got it in the air.

Take care Gary,

-- Jeff
Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 AM

LOL! Don't post your video on HeliFreak! I posted a video where I was as close to the Heli as you and flying in my front yard and I got beat up, big time! Hell, even Finless scolded me!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

LOL! Don't post your video on HeliFreak! I posted a video where I was as close to the Heli as you and flying in my front yard and I got beat up, big time! Hell, even Finless scolded me!
LOL! Good point. I fly like Gary as well in my court.....but only for hover practice!

But to give the Helifreak guys credit, they are absolutely correct! We really should be in a large field....there are plenty of cases where people and people's property (the nice truck next to his heli) get damaged. All it would take is a mechanical failure....thrown blade, radio glitch, wind gust etc. to have a bad day....

Great job Gary!

Skarn
Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM

I can attest to that if you read my post on a freak accident []
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6879348/tm.htm

I know you all love your heli's but keep your distance

Old 01-15-2008, 03:05 PM

All true. That's why pre-flight checks are so important!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM

I hear Ya on being close! !

I couldn't fly it in My yard as there was a Snow dune there.

I can't blame people for protecting their hobby. The quickest way for Government Regulation is for the 'Right' person to get hurt.

Thanks for the comments!

Gary
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Just spreadin' the love around, man!