Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 gyro mounting hardware for Trex 450 SE V2? >

gyro mounting hardware for Trex 450 SE V2?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

gyro mounting hardware for Trex 450 SE V2?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gyro mounting hardware for Trex 450 SE V2?

When we install a Futaba 401 Gyro on a Trex 450 SE V2 toward the rear end of the frame under the block (where the tail boom is locked in), do we have to use an aftermarket gyro mounting plate? Or can I directly attach the gyro to the block surface from the underneith using an adhesive? I'm slightly confused on this because people often talk about this gyro mounting hardware, on the other hand the gyro seems to fit directly under the block without a use of such mounting hardware. Or does the gyro mounting hardware add useful special functionality if I use one? Thank you in adavnce. [&o][&o]
Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Default RE: gyro mounting hardware for Trex 450 SE V2?

You can mount the Gyro either at the front or back of the Heli. I have heard people having issues with the Gyro mounted underneath the tail, but I have not had problems with it. It is best to use the tape that is provided in the kit. If you mount the Gyro with zip ties or hardware, I think that you would have issues with vibration. You want the gyro to have some cushion and the double sticky seems to do the job. Just make sure that both surfaces are clean when you mount, the last thing you want is the Gyro coming off during flight.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Yes, mount the gyro under the tail boom block. If it is on top, it can be damaged by the flybar in a crash. I secured mine with the foam gyro sticky mount and then a Velcro wire tie.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Exactly, you can get the aftermarket plates to mount it if you want to keep the block the normal way or you can just flip the block inside the frame and it still has plenty of area to stick to. But yea the tape it comes with works great then the velcro strap for a safty. Just make sure you watch your gyro settings!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 AM

the V2 has the mount underneath the boom block stock, the V1 has it on top and it requires hardware to mount it under.

im pretty cheap so i flipped boom block upside down on my V1 so i wouldnt have to buy anything the align sig on the boom is upside down when its hovering but it looks cool like that since the heli wont stay rite side up all the time
Old 01-16-2008, 07:31 AM

You could also use industrial strength velcro, it gives a nice cushion and allows you to remove it later if necessary ... I did this and wrapped mine with a velcro tie wrap.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend against using velcro for gyro mounting. The factory supplied foam tape provides the right amount of vibration dampening and at the same time provides zero slop along the axis of rotation.
Using velcro to mount the gyro could allow the gyro to yaw independently from the frame, leading to undesirable wag.

Velcro safety straps are OK if they are kept loose. Too tight, and frame vibration is transfered to the gyro, leading to drift.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM

Have you heard of an adhesive material called "Zeal" made by Kyosho? I've heard it absorbs vibrations well and it's particularly suited for a gyro installation, so I've heard. What's your opinion on that?[&o][&o]
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM

True that it could, so it would be best to use the mounting tape that comes with the gyro ... but if that isn't available the velcro I used works fine.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

Vince's advice is spot on.

Zeal tape is nice but its about a buck an inch and not needed in the low vibration environment of electric helis. 3M double side outdoor mounting tape works just great, is available at Wallymart, and is 4 bucks a roll.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 PM

That's another reason to go to WallyWorld

I was going to go to my LHS and get Futaba Gyro Mounting pads, but I think I will seek out the 3M double sided outdoor tape.