Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Question about ESC settings >

Question about ESC settings

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Question about ESC settings

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ESC settings

I was wondering what do the differnt ESC settings mean? Like what does the governer do? High timing? Voltage cut off?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Default RE: Question about ESC settings

A govener is a built in feature, if you were to give it so much pitch the headspeed would drop, the gov. would kick in and bring the headspeed back up, the timing i'm not sure about, the voltage cutoff is a safty, if its set on high, when too high of a voltage goes through it, it will shut off for a 1/2 second to let u know (if its set on high and same way down the line.)
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM

when is the case when a high voltage would go through it? i thought it was for low battery warning?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM

The voltage cutoff setting causes the helicopter to start to power down once battery voltage drops below a certain level. Discharging your lipos too low can ruin them. You set your cutoff so your heli starts to gradually lose power, warning you that you need to land before your battery voltage gets dangerously low.

Setting the voltage cutoff high means shorter flight times, but less likelihood of overdischarging your battery.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 PM

so is medium better? itll cut off still before itll over-discharge right? also do most people leave the governer on? also what does high timing do? increase battery consumption for more power?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM

It's completely up to you. I think I left my cutoff at the default setting which is probably medium. Same with timing. I think I left mine at the default setting which provides me with penty-o-power.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Yea, medium is what Finlees did in His video, and that's good enough for Me.

All of my batteries are pretty new, so My flight times are around 6 minutes or so, but will get better after a few cycles, I suspect.

Gary
Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM

do u guys leave the governor on also? i heard it sux
Old 01-16-2008, 11:08 PM

I have mine on but i've been having too many problems tryin to get it to fly so iunno if its better or not..lol.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 PM

I don't use the governor, st 1 is 100 80 100, and st 2 100 95 100. If i am working it hard i would struggle to bog down even in st 1. I have mid voltage cut off and i am putting back about 70% of battery capacity, i could run longer but would like to preserve the battery. To clarify a couple of your questions. 1st the voltage cut off is when the battery gets to a certain voltage which could be dependant on discharge rate at the time, the esc will start pulsing the motor once at the set voltage and you then know when to come in. As for the timing option, i am not 100% sure what it is for, i do know that default is mid and it has something to do with the type of motor and how much power to deliver ie a 2 pole motor would use low, the stock 6 pole motor would use mid and so on. If you use high on the stock motor you would have more power but you would run the risk of overloading the battery and of course short flight times