Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

what is the advantage of the CF tail boom??

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

what is the advantage of the CF tail boom??

Old 02-24-2008, 04:46 PM
matador_24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the advantage of the CF tail boom??

Hello.. I was wondering what is the advantage of the CF tail boom???? it is just that it looks nicer or it's more crash resistant (I crash pretty often)..... thanks for the info
Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
jaketrouble

Default RE: what is the advantage of the CF tail boom??

more for looks then anything.. it will still bend on a hard crash.. even a not so hard crash. it might be a little bit more rigid but not that much..jake.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
SN VipeR

CF does not bend, it either breaks or it doesn't.
Beside looks the CF tail boom is mainly a weight saving tuning option. It is more rigid but it will still break in a medium to heavy crash. If your helo is a bit nose-heavy and you've exhausted every other option you can use the CF boom. It's not a lot lighter (only 20 grams or so) but it will make a difference because it goes so far back so to speak.
On my 600 I used it to partially offset the weight gain of the torque tube, and for looks.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:13 PM
srouthouse

well they dont bend at all, and they last 10-1 over the alloy ones. they save me money in the long run.

they will break if you flat dump it haulin but wrecks that normaly i would bend the alloy ones im back up and flying with the carbon cause it lasts. ive bent 15 alloy ones and ive only wrecked 1 carbon on a nose in 50' high 80% throttle. i just wrecked my BH450 and snapped the frame in half and the crabon boom is still fine, theres pics of it in the blackhawk section

theres also reports for the guys that fly in really cold weather that the alloy shrinks and loosens the tail belt and the carbon doesnt but it will never get that cold here. 2 guys at helifreaks have reported carbon fixed there cold issues
Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 PM
matador_24

soooo, they don't bend at all????

and I am better to upgrade to CF tail boom???? it's a real pain in the ass to replace the alluminium tail boom when it's damaged, if the CF tail boom lasts longer, then it's worth it!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 AM
srouthouse

exactly why there hard to find rite now
Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 AM
MiniCwik

I plan on getting one, for the weight savings, rigidity, and since it's cold here I have found that at times my alloy tail boom does loosen the belt.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Skarn

Well, I put one on last weekend after replacing my 2'nd aluminum one. I wrecked Saturday and it cracked in half! Yes, it was a pretty high speek wreck....ALMOST completed a loop! So now I'm back to the aluminum one!

Skarn
Old 02-25-2008, 12:17 PM
MiniCwik

Wow Skarn ... but why "almost"? Were you managing it collectively?

I noticed on Phoenix sim that you can't just pull back on the elevator to do a loop, like I could in RF G3.5 but instead you have to manage the collective pitch to make the loop. But I still don't have the cojones to try one (YET).
Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 PM
srouthouse

it doesnt start feeling like a sim till about your 10-15th loop. at first there nothing like the sim. ive done them idle up and in normal mode like the sim but there was a huge loss of alltitude

skarn bite the bullet and get another carbon boom, in minor wrecks you walk away allot cleaner then the others
Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
MiniCwik

I figured as much srouthouse ... I will be waiting until I get my new Scorpion motor and 45a ESC installed before I attempt my first loop or roll.

I have plenty of time since I am waiting on spring weather before I even think about it as well, too darn cold and windy still ... ugh.

I'm going to check out my LHS for the CF tailboom, I know they had one or two last time I was in there.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: MiniCwik

Wow Skarn ... but why "almost"? Were you managing it collectively?

I noticed on Phoenix sim that you can't just pull back on the elevator to do a loop, like I could in RF G3.5 but instead you have to manage the collective pitch to make the loop. But I still don't have the cojones to try one (YET).
Well I thought I was! I feel I just got too cocky after 3 backflips and when I started the loop I was a) too low, b) didn't have enough forward speed going into it and c) forgot to do it INTO the wind! All my fault!

But I have indeed noticed on more than one sim, loops are way tighter than with the real bird!

I did fly 3 full battery packs yesterday however without a wreck....that included loops (much higher), front flips, rolls and some things I don' think have a name

Skarn
Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
MiniCwik

Sweet man, thanks for the tips and yeah even on the sim I get way up there before I attempt one ... try to pretend like if I crash in the sim it's gonna cost money.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
david007
My Feedback: (26)

Hey guys I just picked up a t-rex 450 off e-bay last night, can't wait. anyway I saw the posts about using collective and you have to use it when you do a loop, roll or a flip if you don't when the heli is inverted you are sending it into the ground, and it makes for one ugly move.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
srouthouse

for collective use small amounts you dont have to use allot of stick, i tried this today and pulled off my first tight frontflip oh that and allot of timing it went fast kept HS but i had the heli set up way to twichy and with the strong wind it was coming out of a few loopd sideways and of course im trying them lower to keep an eye on timing which led to me going in. and with the original post even though i bent feathering, main, and twisted up hard the flybar and a set of servo gears the carbon boom was perfect
Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Cleared2Engage

Agreed with the CF's, I bought an extra carbon fiber boom a year ago after bending 2 aluminum booms from 2 crashes. I still have that spare cf boom, the original one on there hasn't broken in a year. MiniKwik, just yank back on the elevator and go for that flip!!! hahaha No Fear!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
MiniCwik

ORIGINAL: Cleared2Engage
MiniKwik, just yank back on the elevator and go for that flip!!! hahaha No Fear!
Ha ha ha ha, so can I send you the bill to cover damages should anything happen?

No I seriously will try some things once it warms up, and gets to spring here soon (I hope). I have a new motor and esc waiting to go in, and will be getting some new batteries as well before too long.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
cruzmissile

I don't want to start a "who's you know what is bigger", but CF does bend. However it has such a high memory that it goes right back and you would never know the difference. Everything has flex to it, even steel. If nothing flexed or gave a little, it would break on the first pressure applied. A good example is the all carbon fiber road bikes. Kinda getting off subjects but they didn't make it all CF just for weight advantage but for the flexibility, metal frames over time, bend, crack, break. CF bends, goes back, bends, goes back. Over flex and yes CF will break. But what I'm saying is that CF does flex. Ok I'm done.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
goldslinger

Go Carbon Fiber! !

They ''flex'' but don''t bend. I can''t even ''flex'' mine being a tube.

C.F. wont shrink and loosen the belt in cold weather, it won''t minisculely bend causing the belt to slip off the pulley, and driving You nuts, it is lighter. It is stronger. What more?

I like the looks of the Metal boom, Myself; but I won''t fly with anything but C.F.