Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Idle up with Futaba 6EXH

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Idle up with Futaba 6EXH

Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM
KamikazeParanoia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle up with Futaba 6EXH

i've got everything ready on my hdx450 (trex clone) but i cant get the idle up to work, at the moment when i have the throttle on zero the motor is stopped and then as i increase it the pitch and motor speed increase at the same time, everything is pretty much default in the transmitter, is it ok to hover with it set like this?
i have gone into the settings and enabled the idle up switch and it does say when it is on and off but nothing happens when i flick the switch, is there something im missing? all throttle/pitch curves are the standard 0 25 50 75 100

Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Idle up with Futaba 6EXH

You have to reset the throttle curve to a v curve on the idle up.

90 85 80 85 90 or something like, make sure you have the helicopter in a hover before you flip the switch. Play with the numbers till you find a head speed that suits you.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
KamikazeParanoia

ahh that would make sence is that a usual trex curve or just an example? im guessing i put that into the idle up curve bit in the radio and leave the other one?

Thanks for the speedy reply
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
BarracudaHockey

Speedy is luck of the draw, I had to check on something for work

Leave normal or else you are going to have to hit throttle hold to stop the blades.

Thats an example of an idle up curve for a small electric. The higher the numbers the higher the head speed. I use 100 95 90 95 100 on mine but thats full tilt for 4 and a half minutes. Lower numbers = lower head speed = longer run time.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Druss

I use both my idle up curves, I only use 3 point curves so they are 100-75-100, my second idle up is 100-100-100.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 PM
KamikazeParanoia

does normal mode mean that when i have the throttle at 0 the motor stops? (good for incase i need to.. make an unscheduled landing )
is it suposed to increase the pitch at the same time as the throttle? or should it keep the pitch fixed and just increase the rpms?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Big feet

Hi,
Ok, most radios have the capacity for 3 curves, some can do more.

Lets talk about throttle
Normal - throttle starts from 0 and goes to 100 at stick maximum, you need this to allow you to carry the heli to the take off point with the blades stopped, then advance the throttle and the blades spool up until you take off. Once in a hover as BH said, you can flip the switch into idle up 1 or 2.

Idle up 1 - this is where you can put the type of values BH suggests, you then have full throttle with the throttle stick at its lowest position, less throttle at mid stick, and back to full throttle at max stick.

Idle up 2 - as above but you can try different figures and change between them in the air to see if the heli feels better.

Now, pitch.

Normal - Here you would set the pitch with the throttle stick (remember it also controls the pitch) at minimum to about -2 deg, you want to set about 5 deg at the point on the stick travel where you want to hover, and maximum pitch at stick max, 9 or 10 degs. If your end goal is aerobatics you may wish to consider setting you upright hover throttle position to 2/3 stick (about 5 deg pitch), this will then work well for matching to the idle up curves as you will see below. If you intend to fly scale helis and have no interest in aerobatics put your hover poisition at mid stick, and you won't really need to worry about idle up curves, just set them up the same as the normal curve incase the flight mode switch gets knocked.

Idle up 1 - In this pitch curve you set up the heli for aerobatics. If you are still only starting you may find this can get you into trouble as if you panic and slam shut the throttle you actually power the heli into the ground, but I will explain the setup and you can decide when to use it yourself. You want throttle minimum to give you about -9 deg pitch, stick centre to give you 0 deg pitch, and as before 9 deg stick max. This allows the heli to climb inverted when the throttle stick is all the way down at miminum, and hover inverted somewhere between stick minimum and mid stick, the top half of the stick travel is for upright flight, the bottom half for inverted. If you went for the 2/3 stick hover position in normal mode then match the numbers for the 2/3 stick position here so the heli won't jump or drop when you change flight mode.

Idle up 2 - Again you can try different figures and switch in flight to experiment.

The flight mode switch changes both the throttle mode and the pitch modes at the same time.

You will also see a throttle hold curve, set the throttle in this curve so the motor is off, this then allows you to switch on throttle hold and carry the heli, if the throttle stick gets bumped up the blades will not spool up. Saves the hands, and stops you getting blood on your heli, always a good thing.

Hope this helps,
Old 05-24-2008, 08:39 AM
KamikazeParanoia

Thanks everyone, very helpful
i have been flying heli's on sims (fms then aerofly pro then aerfly pro deluxe then realflight g3 then g3.5) for about 7 years (i fly mad 3d) and have had a couple fixed pitch honey bees which i fly in my sitting room no problem so the only thing left to learn is setup, tweaking and maintaining a 3d heli
currently i am on the 6exh as my 7cap is in storage with my planes, but soon i will have that back and was wondering if anyone uses the little dial/knob for the throttle? the 6exh only has a 2 point idle up switch but im pretty sure the 7cap has a 3 point which will come in handy

i have set and tested the throttle hold and thats fine so can practice autos too
Old 05-24-2008, 09:01 AM
dicharry
My Feedback: (16)

Do most 3D pilots use normal mode for take off and landing, flipping the idle up switch once they are in a
normal mode hover at a comfortable height? I know nothing about 3D flight and would appreciate any info on web sites with instuctions on stick and switch operation for performing certain manuvers.
Thanks,
Don
Old 05-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Big feet

Basically, yes.
Some use throttle hold, flip into idle up 1, centre the throttle and switch off throttle hold. I personally don't like this so I use normal to take off and land, (apart from autos ), then select idle up 1 as I climb out.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:17 AM
dicharry
My Feedback: (16)

Are all aerobatics including the roll and flip done with the idle up switch on, and is the elevator and collective used to roll the ship or can it be done with only right stick inputs. What about a flip? Can a roll be done in normal mode assuming the heli is well balanced and has a proper CG ?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Big feet

ORIGINAL: dicharry

Are all aerobatics including the roll and flip done with the idle up switch on, and is the elevator and collective used to roll the ship or can it be done with only right stick inputs. What about a flip? Can a roll be done in normal mode assuming the heli is well balanced and has a proper CG ?
Hi,
Yes, you are in idle up to fly aerobatics. As the heli rolls through inverted you back off on the collective, possibly just touching into negative, then back to positive as the heli returns to upright flight. If you do this in normal mode you reduce your throttle as well and the head speed will drop. With flips you also want a little neg pitch as you pass through inverted.
In idle up you have your throttle increasing as the throttle goed from mid stick downwards, ie. full power at both ends of the throttle stick travel, bottom end with neg collective, top end with positive.

Hope this helps
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Skarn

Yep, you want to be in idle 1 or 2 to do your acrobatics...anything inverted.

I am one that has TH on and in idle 1. Then I put the stick to mid and flip off TH and let is spool up slowly (soft-start programmed in ESC). Then I take off....this way I never forget to flip to idle 1 before going inverted.

Skarn
Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 AM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Feet,
I think you can actualy you can perform loops and rolls in normal, provided you dont keep it upsidedown.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: ea01bg

Big Feet,
I think you can actualy you can perform loops and rolls in normal, provided you dont keep it upsidedown.
Sure, just do them very high up or don't give any negative pitch at all

Skarn
Old 06-03-2008, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey

Do you guys know where the term "Idle up" came from?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
KamikazeParanoia

im guessing its origin has something to do with the fact that it turns the (engine) idle up?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
BarracudaHockey

Litterally. You set it so no matter how low you brought the throttle stick the idle wouldn't drop below a certain, preset amount. The older radios had a pot, the first heli computer radios let you set it as a throttle percentage. The default was 25 to 30 percent. Just enough so the head wouldn't slow down too much on descents.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I still have an old Futaba AM radio out in the garage with the pot setup Funny thing is I'm using its wall charge on my current futaba radio.