Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

TRex 450 SE V2 tail drive belt

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

TRex 450 SE V2 tail drive belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 PM
heliperry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRex 450 SE V2 tail drive belt

Ok, I've got a question out there for the Trex 450 SE V2 fans.
I just got started in my normal set up for forward flight in Normal mode, and as I did a flight out and around today in winds some where around 10-20 mph. my heli made a deep tone sound so I flew it back to me and set it down and noticed that the tail drive belt was loose and had started schreading. I saw the belt strans had come apart on it. So my question is what do you think was the reason for this, to tight of belt tension or not tight enough or somthing else?
This is the first 450 size electric I've own. Love the kit so much I bought a TREX 600N for my 50 size heli.
Would appreciate the help before I order a new belt.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 AM
HeliSmith

Default RE: TRex 450 SE V2 tail drive belt

Too tight I made the same mistake on my first 450 build and it lasted about 2 weeks so I of course am going to lean in that direction.

You want your belt just this side of loose. If you can hold the tail rotor and while applying moderate pressure on the main rotors not have it slip that is good enough. If you give it a good twist it will slip. If you show it to most people they will say it looks loose but you will learn that this is the right tension.

Another method to use is with your main blades on give it a spin. When it spins the best the tail belt is good but if the tail belt actually makes the main blades not spin so freely it is too tight.

P.S. Do your belt tensioning and then use your food grade silicone spray on the belt. Then test it again that it doesn't slip!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:21 AM
heliperry

Thanks for the reply HeliSmith,I was leaning toward that I had it to tight but like I said I wasn't sure because I have never set one this small on a heli before. My 90 size heli isn't that delicate. Well looks like I'm going to have to order maybe a couple replacement belt for the 450 and try again.
Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 AM
mrich_30047

If you are going to order a new belt, you might consider this one. Better than the stock Align.

http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=MAVHT1003
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 AM
heliperry

Hi, mrich_30047
I have been looking around on the net to see where I can get a belt for the 450 and I usualy go threw Heliproz but I'm going to look at that web site you sent me. I like the looks of the belt better than the Align belt, do you seem to think that it is a better material than stock? It's also a $1 cheaper in price for it than Heliproz to, that is always good...lol. I plan on buying 2 belts just to have a back up, also am looking for another flight battery so I can fly while one is on charge. Got any idea's on that' where to get one? I have the 2200 mah that comes stock with it and Heliproz is out of stock . Not sure where to get battery's for it yet, this is the first electric I've ownd.
Thanks again,
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 AM
planepounder

Make sure there is not an extra twist in the belt.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 AM
heliperry

I have already checked that out and there wasn't an extra twist in the belt. That was one of the first thing I checked.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Skarn

Wow, I'm surprised no one told him to remove the idler pulley yet!

If you remove your idler pulley, 99.9% of all your tail belt issues will go away!

Skarn
Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
heliperry

Ok, I'm not looking at my instruction manual right now so what idler pulley are you talking about?
I'm not sure what your talking about and has it been a problem before, I've not read anywhere that this needed to be done.
I'm intrested in what your talking about becouse I realy don't want this to happen again.
heliperry
Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Skarn

Hey bro,

Here is a link about why the stock Align idler pulley serves no purpose and should be removed: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=63256

It's a lot of pages, but tons of useful info. Near the end of the thread someone states they actually called Align and Align told them to remove it!

The idler pulley is the "barrel-shaped" pulley on top of the tail assembly.

Here is a picture of a trex with the idler pulley removed:

Good luck!
Skarn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93923.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	959511  
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
heliperry

Hi Skarn,
I'm going to look at the web site you sent me and the pic showed me what you were talking about. I'll let ya know when my new belt gets here and I reinstall it. Just read threw the forum you sent me and sounds like this is a common problem and I'll be taking mine off when I put the new belt on. Thanks again for the info. Later: heliperry..
P.S. Is there anything I should look out for when I remove the pulley?
Oh, yeah I liked the pic of the skeleton on a bike...lol on your member info.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Skarn

Hehe, yeah, I've used that avatar for ages now!

The 450 SE v2 is great stock so there really isn't too much to look out for. Some common things people do though (other than remove the idler pulley) is to get gorilla gear, gorilla paddles and tail blades, and trueblood dampners. I've done all of that excecpt the paddles and tail blades.

Skarn