Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Big-Time Power System Problem. Please give me some ideas on what to do next!!

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Big-Time Power System Problem. Please give me some ideas on what to do next!!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 AM
BryFlyGuy67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big-Time Power System Problem. Please give me some ideas on what to do next!!

Confused as heck! Is it the ESC, motor or radio?
I am having a WEIRD problem with one of my Helis. The one in question is the newer one with a CC35 ESC, a NEU 1107/2Y.

I'll try to make this short. This started last week when I upgraded my ESC to version 2 using the Castle Link. I had it set for "
Goverened - Target Head Speed". For several days, this worked well, the last being this past Friday. I just ran one pack through it and she was working GREAT! Now, I go to meet a flying buddy this past Saturday and the Heli would not develop enough HS to take off! I did NOTHING to the Heli between Friday evening and Saturday morning.

I'm going to post a video that will help explain what I am talking about tomorrow. For now, my explanation will have to suffice. What happens is that I have my radio on, plug in the battery pack and receive the normal startup tones - everything seems fine. I start to spin her up and this is where the trouble lies. The motor will spin up normally until I get right around 50% power and then she immediately slows down. It's so slow that you can't take off the ground!

I do have some control over the speed, as I can cause small changes to the RPM by moving the throttle and by clicking it into ST-1 or ST-2.

I don't think that it is the radio, as the Rx links up properly and I can control the cyclic and tail servos normally when this problem is happening.

It also links up with he castle link software and shows no problems whatsoever. Using Castle Link, I actually downgraded my firmware to version 1.56, but that didn't help.

So at this point, I am thinking that it's a bad ESC. I did crash it hard a week and a half or so ago, but she's been acting fine since then. I don't see any visible damage to the ESC at all. The NEU motor is practically brand "new", so I don't think that the motor is to blame.

ANY help that you can offer is much appreciated!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
ksechler

Default RE: Big-Time Power System Problem. Please give me some ideas on what to do next!!

I had a similar problem with my CC35. One time it worked fine in governor and then it didn't. I switched to normal and manually set my pitch/throttle curves. I works fine that way.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts
Default RE: Big-Time Power System Problem. Please give me some ideas on what to do next!!

You sure its properly programmed for your high and low throttle points with the throttle epa set to 100/100 and the throttle curve set from 0 to 100?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:31 PM
BryFlyGuy67

That is going to be one of my next troubleshooting steps.

I talked to a guy at CC and he said to, one at a time, disable current limiting and set the Auto LiPo cutoff to 6V and see if that madkes any difference. He seems to think that it is a connection issue, but I have to disagree at this point.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Gittle

Your next call should be to Castle Creations tech support and they can tell you if it is the speed control and how to fix it. Great Guys give em a chance.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 AM
BryFlyGuy67

Like I said, I did talk to a CC Tech rep as posted above. Here is the situation. I spoke with a Castle Creation tech rep yesterday and he advised me to (one at a time) change AutoLiPo from Auto to 6V and also to change current limiting to disabled. He seemed to think it was a bad connector, but I do not.

Unfortunately, nothing worked or changed the way she flies (read: DOES NOT FLY) . I did a couple of short video clips and uploaded them to PhotoBucket. Please check out the videos here:

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...rouble%202008/

And let me know if anything jumps out at you.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Gittle

Ok I missed the CC part on the last post. The heli doesn't seem like it is getting enough voltage to the esc or the speed control is not sending out the correct signal to the esc. Have you tried another battery, esc, or a motor? Secondly have you double checked the throttle curves and atv for max throws. Set the throttle curve to linear just to be sure. Make sure you only have about 5 or 6 degrees pitch at 3/4 stick. Try another battery, try another motor, try another esc. Make sure the govenor is turned off. You have to start at ground zero and work up if you think the esc is ok. Check the connectors again and be sure they are OK. Pull on the wires and make sure you cannot pull them out by hand. A cold solder joint eat you lunch. Her is a synopsis of things to try in order.

Check connectors thoroughly. Motor and esc.
Check throttle curves and limits.
Check pitch.
Check battery.
Check motor.
Check esc.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: Gittle

Ok I missed the CC part on the last post. The heli doesn't seem like it is getting enough voltage to the esc or the speed control is not sending out the correct signal to the esc. Have you tried another battery, esc, or a motor? Secondly have you double checked the throttle curves and atv for max throws. Set the throttle curve to linear just to be sure. Make sure you only have about 5 or 6 degrees pitch at 3/4 stick. Try another battery, try another motor, try another esc. Make sure the govenor is turned off. You have to start at ground zero and work up if you think the esc is ok. Check the connectors again and be sure they are OK. Pull on the wires and make sure you cannot pull them out by hand. A cold solder joint eat you lunch. Her is a synopsis of things to try in order.

Check connectors thoroughly. Motor and esc.
Check throttle curves and limits.
Check pitch.
Check battery.
Check motor.
Check esc.
Thanks! I have done some of these things already. I have swapped packs and I have a linear throttle curve. I have reset the CC35 to Heli: Fixed Endpoints and gone through the calibration procedure at high and low sticks. No luck whatsoever. Connections seem tight and solid.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare motor or ESC to try out. If I did, that would make it an easy troubleshooting procedure! [&:] I'm going to call castle back this afternoon and talk to the rep I spoke with yesterday. I'll point him to where the videos are located and see if that Helps him.

The throttle curve I am using is linear and as far as the Throttle channel ATV's, those got set when I went back to Heli: Fixed endoints. Both the high and low are both greater than 100, which is kind of strange as they used to both be around 100.

Keep the advice coming and I will let you know what I hear from the Castle Tech Rep.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Gittle

OK if you swapped the packs and checked the curves. It almost has to be a motor issue or an esc issue. Unfortunatley you need to have another of each to trouble shoot the problem. It is so easy if you have two of each of everything but I know that is not possible.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
BryFlyGuy67

Yeah, I know! I am hoping to get the Castle guy to let me buy both an ESC and motor and then return the one that's not at fault.