Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

My first crash

Old 10-26-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first crash

Hi all,
Well, after 2 years of flying helis I now consider myself a heli pilot, 'cos I had my first crash. I was in fast forward flight doing some loops and had just pulled a tight turn when suddenly I lost power to the motor. For a split second I began to do an auto, which I had been practising eariler in the flight. Then I thought I may have drawn too much power from the esc in the tight turn, so I lifted the throttle again to see if I had power back (the heli was quite far out and not in a good place for an auto if it could be helped). But no, I quickly dropped the collective again but it was too late and she hit the runway hard. Damage, very lucky, I only bent the lower frames and broke the landing gear, even the carbon blades survived.
Why did this happen??
Answer, the motor drive gear slid down the motor shaft and I lost mesh with the main gear, so please check the tightness of your grub screw so you can avoid my mistake.
She is now repaired and will be test flown as soon as the weather gets with the program.

What do you think, am I a heli pilot now??
Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Default RE: My first crash

you've just been baptized hehehe sorry to hear you crashed. But hey at least it was something out of your control, because mi first crash took place in my dining table[:-], I was setting up the heli and as I went for the throttle hold I accidentally slammed the throttle stick causing the heli to to go ballistic towards the ceiling, I always wished a heli or heli parts would rain on you, but not like this[X(] so be careful what you wish for hehehe!

congratulations on your promotion to pilot though hehehe!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:49 PM

2 years without a crash...Yep your a heli guy now. Glad to hear its back together and ready to go. But as a true heli pilot you should know.....This Thread is Worthless Without Pics
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naa, not a true heli pilot till you have at least a dozen crashes and at least 10,000 on your credit card.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM

the motor drive gear slid down the motor shaft and I lost mesh with the main gear, so please check the tightness of your grub screw so you can avoid my mistake.
To help avoid this, use green Loctite #609 to bond the pinion to the motor shaft. It's likely strong enough to hold all on its own if the parts are cleaned before bonding, but still use the set screw as a backup since some motors have so much torque. The nice thing is, as a backup, the set screw won't have to be so tight that it warps the pinion.

If you decide to try the Loctite, be aware that you only have a few seconds of working time to position the pinion and that you will later need a pinion puller to get it off. #609 is available in a tiny .02 ounce tube, enough for plenty of pinions.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM

The other less permanent solution is to grind a small flat spot on the motor shaft to tighten the set screw against. Then use blue locktite on the set screw.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM

2 YEARS WITHOUT A CRASH???
Maybe this hobby isn't for me?

Maybe I'm needed for the hobby industry, guess it needs my money.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:14 PM

Thanks guys,
aland25, yes, two years, but I have been flying planes for 20 years and put in a LOT of time on the sim in an attempt to save my helis.

kraffty, I bow to your wisdom and am more then happy to wait, hopefully for some considerable time, until I meet the grade.

crimsonrain22, sorry, I didn't even think to take some pics, the heli actually didn't look too bad, bent lower frames and a snapped off skid, even the canopy survived. I'll try harder next time.

Keep em flying,
Old 10-30-2008, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: crimsonrain22

The other less permanent solution is to grind a small flat spot on the motor shaft to tighten the set screw against. Then use blue locktite on the set screw.
+1
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Empty Wallet

ORIGINAL: crimsonrain22

+1
+2
Old 11-23-2008, 08:02 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Big feet

Hi all,
Well, after 2 years of flying helis I now consider myself a heli pilot, 'cos I had my first crash. I was in fast forward flight doing some loops and had just pulled a tight turn when suddenly I lost power to the motor. For a split second I began to do an auto, which I had been practising eariler in the flight. Then I thought I may have drawn too much power from the esc in the tight turn, so I lifted the throttle again to see if I had power back (the heli was quite far out and not in a good place for an auto if it could be helped). But no, I quickly dropped the collective again but it was too late and she hit the runway hard. Damage, very lucky, I only bent the lower frames and broke the landing gear, even the carbon blades survived.
Why did this happen??
Answer, the motor drive gear slid down the motor shaft and I lost mesh with the main gear, so please check the tightness of your grub screw so you can avoid my mistake.
She is now repaired and will be test flown as soon as the weather gets with the program.

What do you think, am I a heli pilot now??

Two years of helis and you just had your first crash?!?!?!?! Thats amazing!

I don't think I flew two minutes before my first crash. I personally try to crash once a week minimum, you know just doing my part to keep the industry thriving!!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 AM

I don't think I flew two minutes before my first crash. I personally try to crash once a week minimum, you know just doing my part to keep the industry thriving!!

[/quote]

ROFL [sm=lol.gif]