Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 T-rex 450 battery charging system >

T-rex 450 battery charging system

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-rex 450 battery charging system

Old 11-15-2008, 12:06 PM
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-rex 450 battery charging system

I currently fly only nitro helicopters. I have a Raptor 50 and a Raptor 90. I use a accucycle elite charger to charge my transmitter and use durilite for flight packs. I am looking into getting a t-rex 450. My question is will my Elite charger charge lipos? If i understand correctly I will need a balancer in order to charge them like a blinky balancer? The battery's I woud be charging are Outrage XP 30C 2200mah packs. Sorry I dont know much about electric world but lookin to jump in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Terry
Old 11-15-2008, 12:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: T-rex 450 battery charging system

I have settled on the CellPro 4S
http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4
Because it is safe, foolproof, cheap and easy on batteries. It does not need a manual because you keep on pushing the menu button until you get what you want. If you select something other than what you have plugged into it, you get an error message rather than an expensive fire!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: cookie0664

I currently fly only nitro helicopters. I have a Raptor 50 and a Raptor 90. I use a accucycle elite charger to charge my transmitter and use durilite for flight packs. I am looking into getting a t-rex 450. My question is will my Elite charger charge lipos? If i understand correctly I will need a balancer in order to charge them like a blinky balancer? The battery's I woud be charging are Outrage XP 30C 2200mah packs. Sorry I dont know much about electric world but lookin to jump in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Terry
Hmm....

Batteries are a whole world in themselves and the charging options available are many, but there are some important rules to live by when using particularly Li-Po batteries....[X(]

Since there are so many charger setups available, I'll not try to tell you which one will work best for your anticipated uses nor try to really get into the care and feeding of Li-Po batteries as there's not enough room here to cover all that. But I would suggest you do some research/reading on the various forums to get you started.

Here's a good link that might get you started on Li-Po's as well as provide some information on your other battery types if you're interested:

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM

No, your Accucycle Elite won't charge lipos. I think there are some chargers that will charge NiCd and NiMh along with lipos but I would suggest getting a dedicated lipo charger/balancer. Some chargers have balancers built in and some you have to buy a seperate balancer. You can charge without a balancer but it's not recomended or safe. Thunder Power makes some good chargers but you will need a balancer. I have a Kong Power charger/balancer that works great for I believe around $150 dollars. FMA CellPro is another that is good and costs less than a Kong. There are a lot of good chargers out there and everyone has there favorite. I would also suggest you get one that has adjustable charge and discharge rates. You'll also want it to keep track of individual cell voltage and how many mha's you're putting back in so you don't over discharge your packs because that can ruin them. The less expensive chargers don't have all those features. So I would say shop around and buy the best charger you can afford.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Cool thanks for all the info! I do appreciate all your comments!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: ace22459

No, your Accucycle Elite won't charge lipos. I think there are some chargers that will charge NiCd and NiMh along with lipos but I would suggest getting a dedicated lipo charger/balancer. Some chargers have balancers built in and some you have to buy a seperate balancer. You can charge without a balancer but it's not recomended or safe. Thunder Power makes some good chargers but you will need a balancer. I have a Kong Power charger/balancer that works great for I believe around $150 dollars. FMA CellPro is another that is good and costs less than a Kong. There are a lot of good chargers out there and everyone has there favorite. I would also suggest you get one that has adjustable charge and discharge rates. You'll also want it to keep track of individual cell voltage and how many mha's you're putting back in so you don't over discharge your packs because that can ruin them. The less expensive chargers don't have all those features. So I would say shop around and buy the best charger you can afford.

Cookie0664 ~

Actually your Accu-Cycle Elite charger will charge your 450 lipo's just fine. I've been using the Accu-Cycle Elite charger for my Trex 450 for over a year and a half using also a Common-Sense Blinky for balancing them at the same time and have never had a problem whatsoever... In fact some of my Thunder-Power lipo's and Air-Thunder lipo's still work just as good as they did when I first got them, with no puffing and great flight times and there darn near over a year old... Your Accu-Cycle for being a $140.00 charger might not be as grand as my other charger I also have which is the Thunder-Power 1010C charger for $199.00, but it will perform just fine to get ya started and eliminating on buying another charger until you see where your headed with the electrics. Then you can choose a charger that will best suit your needs...

I use my Accu-Cycle for charging my 1-cell MCX lipo's all the way up to the 3-cell lipo lipo's which it was built and designed to do, along with charging some Nimh's and Nicd's at the same token. It has all the safety features built into it that WILL NOT let ya set-it to an improper charge rate, it has a wonderful digital display to see what the charge rate is at, how many Mah's your putting into it, the amount of time it has been charging for, a programmable memory for storing different battery selections, It will also let ya select your charge and discharge rates, etc. etc. It says right on the front of the unit its designed for charging 1-3 cell lipo's and that it will do just fine for ya for now... What more do you need...?!

Unlike other chargers out there that can offer a higher charge rate like my TP 1010c charger which can charge up to a 10-cell lipo at 10 amps, the Accu-Cycle only will throw out a 2 amp output for the max... And that's plenty anyway, as your 3-cells your most likely gonna run in your Trex 450 usually won't exceed 2200 mah's anyway, so safely, going over 2 amps wouldn't be recomended anyway....

Do a search or google for info using this charger and you'll see, there are plenty of people using this charger for 1-3 cell lipo's... Pick up something to balance them, as the Accu-cycle doesn't balance lipo's which is a necessity, but you can pick up a blinky for like $30.00 and they work fine until you get a more expensive better quality balancer. Like I said I've never had any probs with my lipo's with this set-up....

Good-Luck,

~ Jeff
Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info Jeff! I thought that i could use the blinky balancer but wasnt sure. I am still looking for a charger but in the mean time I could use my Accu-cycle. Still learning more and more!
Thanks Again Guys! (and Gals?)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi Jeff, I stand corrected! I don't have an Acucycle charger but I looked at them in the Tower catalog and I didn't see any mention of charging lipos with it when I read it the first time so I went back and looked again and I guess I didn't see where it said the Elite is lipo compatible. It's the standard version that won't charge them.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: John Ferrell

I have settled on the CellPro 4S
http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4
Because it is safe, foolproof, cheap and easy on batteries. It does not need a manual because you keep on pushing the menu button until you get what you want. If you select something other than what you have plugged into it, you get an error message rather than an expensive fire!

i also just bought me a Cellpro 4s to help with my Trex batteries...super nice little charger. you can buy the AC adapter to use it at home also
Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 AM

The Accu-Cycle Elite WILL charge your lipo up to 2A charge rate and an Astro Flight Blinky is a fine and accurate cell balancer and will work well with your Accu-Cycle.