Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

building a 500 ?

Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 AM
jimmymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a 500 ?

iam puting a 500 together and i wll be going with the curtis youngbloods solid G what tail servo should i go with
Old 11-27-2008, 02:17 PM
ace22459

Default RE: building a 500 ?

I just ordered a 500 and I'll be using a gy401 and a JR3500g because I already have them. The JR servo is a really fast servo and probably the best mini gyro servo you can get without going to a full size servo which some are doing. Another popular mini servo is the Futaba 9257. I think some have had problems with the mini servos burning out and that's why some may tell you to use a full size servo. I really haven't done a lot of research yet on tail servos for the 500 because I know my 3500g will work. Alan
Old 11-28-2008, 02:56 PM
UTM

Alan you may do some searching on the topic of the 401/3500g combo. I have read many accounts of the 401 burning up the JR gyro servos in flight due to a difference in the frame rate between the two. I personally use the 401/3400g combo on my 450 and haven't had any issues but it's worth checking out. From what I read most people having issues have been using the 401/3800g combo but I wasn't specifically looking into the 3500g at the time.
Uri
Old 11-28-2008, 04:40 PM
ace22459

I've ran the 3400g on my 450 with a 401 for quite a while with no problems. Then I bought the 3500g back in August just before IRCHA. Been running it ever since then with no problems. This is the first I've heard of a specific problem with the 3500/401 combo. I have seen a few posts regarding people having problems after going to metal tail blade grips on the 500. They are saying the 500 takes a lot of torque to hold the tail and the metal grips increase the force making it over work the servo and burning it up. The Chinese weight mod. is recommended to help with this problem. This is also why I've seen the full size tail servos being recommended. But I will look into this further. Thanks for the heads up! Alan
Old 11-29-2008, 04:03 AM
J-MICHAEL

Ace ~

Yeah just be advised of the comments under the GY401's description that states that JR servos run a different pulse/frequency with the 401... I've heard of others on Heli-Freak also mention this and have warned others, but I've seen guys on this board running the JR's with the 401 for over 200 flights with no prob... I just put my 500 into the air for the first time this morning for its maiden flight, and tried a Futaba 9254 with a stepdown and man that heli is awesome ! Your going to love yours... My tracking was off I noticed and I need to change my pitch and throttle curves some, but other than that I was very pleased with it... I'am just a basic flier still, and still learning on orientation but here's a video below of the flight. Hopefully you'll get yours soon... Oh... And a few pics next to my 450 for a comparison...

GY401 :

Comments:

Can be used in helicopters and airplanes (Due to 0-100% Gain Adjust). The new SMM (Silicone Micro Machine) technology is the integration of mechanical elements, sensors, actuators and electronics all brought together on a common substrate chip. This hobby industry first, results in a gyro sensor with anunprecedented level of functionality, reliability, and sophistication. This will not work with the JR digital servos. These have a different pulse.

Here is the video, but watch it in high quality or it will come out pretty blurry......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzpZvjNViQQ

Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
PaulLee

Beautiful! I just found a discount place in the US for TRex

http://bayoufliers.com/fliers
Old 11-30-2008, 02:56 PM
ace22459

Hi J-Michale. That is the first I've heard of the 401 not being compatable with JR servos. I've run a 3400g and now a 3500g with it with no problems. I was going to put my 3400 back on my 450 and use the 3500 on the 500 but I was testing it the other day as the reason I switched to the 3500 was I felt something was wrong with it. Turns out when I wiggle the servo wires the servo moves erratically. This was due to crash damage I believe. So I've decided to leave the 3500 on the 450 and I have a Futaba 9257 on order along with 3 HS5245's for the head. Also got a pair of Outrage 6s 3000mah packs on the way also. Your 500 looks great. That's the ESP version, right? Anyway, my kit came Friday and I've got her built up the point of servo installation. I expect the servos and batteries and other misc. stuff by Wednesday. I'm sure I'll love it as my 450 and 600nitro Pro are great helis and I don't expect anything less of the 500! I'm what might be considered an intermediate pilot as I have all upright orientations down along with forward flight, figure 8's, etc. Been doing stationary flips and rolls along with inverted nose in hover for about 2 months and practicing inverted tail in on the sim. I'll be using the sim a lot this winter and hopefully be ready with some new skills by spring. Have fun, Alan
Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Forkin Crazy

ORIGINAL: PaulLee

Beautiful! I just found a discount place in the US for TRex

http://bayoufliers.com/fliers

Thanks for the link. They are just a stones throw away from me! Cool! [8D]