Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

only the upper gear will spin

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

only the upper gear will spin

Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 AM
paynezoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default only the upper gear will spin

hey guys i got a prob.....after replacing a washout arm after a minor crash when i got it back up to fly only the upper gear will spin(the one thats geared with the motor) and when the lower dosnt spin the blades dont eather..........i went into the gears but dont know what to look for thats wrong, i think it has to do with the oneway baring but i dont know....thanks
zoo
o and i have a trex 450
Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: only the upper gear will spin

I think you are right, you need a new one way bearing.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
dude7422

payne hi try cleaning one way bearing before you buy a new one
Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 PM
paynezoo

how do you clean it
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Cleared2Engage

Take it apart, wipe it down real good, then add a little bit of silicone spray.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 AM
dude7422

SPRAY WITH WD40 to clean then lite oil 3 in 1 what ever you have
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 AM
dude7422

ORIGINAL: Cleared2Engage

Take it apart, wipe it down real good, then add a little bit of silicone spray.
by your post it sounds like you want him to take the one way apart??
???
Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
paynezoo

well crap...the gear broke while cleaning.....[:@]
guess im going back too the hobby shop
Old 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM
exeter_acres

buy a one way bearing removal tool as well... worth it to have around
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
dude7422

you dont need to buy a bearing tool you have a socket set look for rite size socket and use it ,
,tool you tool what a tool
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Cleared2Engage

It's the best way to clean it. The one way is really only two or three parts. I do that on my helicopters from time to time to extend the life of them. Also, there isn't a need to remove the bearing from the drive gear. Just the other parts. Especially the one that comes in contact with the main shaft.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
dude7422

ORIGINAL: Cleared2Engage

It's the best way to clean it. The one way is really only two or three parts. I do that on my helicopters from time to time to extend the life of them. Also, there isn't a need to remove the bearing from the drive gear. Just the other parts. Especially the one that comes in contact with the main shaft.

post a photo of the bearing parts.. never seen one apart seen drawings of what they look like on inside
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Ybenjulkay2x

Is that 450sa or 450sev2. gear on the sa is different from sev2, if you have the one way bearing press in the plastic gear, that's the sa,
I'll convert it to v2, v2 have one way bearing housing and it's holding with 4 screw on the gear.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
paynezoo

o my god[:@]i got a new gear and bearing set the more upped one with the medal blue top thing. anyways when i got it and installed it i took it out for a run and again..only the upper gear will spin![:@][:@][:@]
Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
baurwin

this may sound silly and prolly not the problem, but hey, gotta check everything lol. might just double check to make sure your motor is spinning the right direction.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
bad400

more than likely if youve installed the oneway bearing and now the tail drive gear doesnt spin, you put the oneway in wrong.

or by chance did you take the sleeve out of the tail drive gear, with out this sleeve it wont spin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34305.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1189869  
Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Kevo450

ORIGINAL: paynezoo

hey guys i got a prob.....after replacing a washout arm after a minor crash when i got it back up to fly only the upper gear will spin(the one thats geared with the motor) and when the lower dosnt spin the blades dont eather..........i went into the gears but dont know what to look for thats wrong, i think it has to do with the oneway baring but i dont know....thanks
zoo
o and i have a trex 450

wow people really love to get complicated here ..

Sure sounds to me like the motor is going the wrong way. Some hints from his post:

after replacing a washout arm after a minor crash when i got it back up to fly only the upper gear will spin(the one thats geared with the motor) and when the lower dosnt spin the blades dont eather.

The fact that the blades arnt spining does indeed mean that the one-way bearing isnt catching ( and if the motor was going the right way would indicate that the one-way was toasted ) ..

Before going crazy trying to break your one way .. change the motor direction ( swap ANY two wires between the esc and motor) .

Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 PM
bad400

ORIGINAL: Kevo450

ORIGINAL: paynezoo

zoo
o and i have a trex 450

wow people really love to get complicated here ..

Sure sounds to me like the motor is going the wrong way. Some hints from his post:

after replacing a washout arm after a minor crash when i got it back up to fly only the upper gear will spin(the one thats geared with the motor) and when the lower dosnt spin the blades dont eather.

The fact that the blades arnt spining does indeed mean that the one-way bearing isnt catching ( and if the motor was going the right way would indicate that the one-way was toasted ) ..

Before going crazy trying to break your one way .. change the motor direction ( swap ANY two wires between the esc and motor) .

wow
what would changeing out the washout arms have to do with the motor????
never seen at any point in my 3 years where washout arms affect the motor polarity
the only way the polarity could get reversed is if he unplug the motor
Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 AM
btoby

well sence most people disconnect their motor for setup, he might have got them back together wrong. no?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 AM
OldScaleGuy

As luck would have it, my one way has now failed too. Is it worth the time to take it apart and clean and lube the bearing versus just going ahead and replacing it for ~$6.00? I have 2 on order but will be mid week next week before they arrive.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM
bad400

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

As luck would have it, my one way has now failed too. Is it worth the time to take it apart and clean and lube the bearing versus just going ahead and replacing it for ~$6.00? I have 2 on order but will be mid week next week before they arrive.
you could try and flush it out with something like wd40, then repack the bearings.

if you do some simple preflight test before actually leaveing the ground you should be able to tell if its going to slip.
like grabing the gears and try holding the tail drive and main and twisting them. they will slip with enough force but you`ll get a good idea if its even grabing.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Kevo450

ORIGINAL: bad400

wow
what would changeing out the washout arms have to do with the motor????
never seen at any point in my 3 years where washout arms affect the motor polarity
the only way the polarity could get reversed is if he unplug the motor
I can understand how that wouldn't connect for you. so lets go over how I came to the conclusion that its
Lets see .. roughly the procedure for changing a washout link is as follows.

1) Remove the washout arm(s)
2) Reinstall the washout arm(s)
3) Check washout arm movement. ( I think its in the step that you would unplug the motor .. attach the battery and check the movement )

Perhaps you dont unplug your motor when screwing with the heli .. but a lot of people do. Please be sure to video yourself while working on your helis .. Sooner or latter there will be a cool video. :-D

I bet that you do unplug the motor tho .. Cause if you dont , its not a question of IF you will have a heli run up in your face .. its WHEN. But that you just didnt think of it because it is such an automatic action that it just happens.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 AM
bad400

nope never have i unplug my motor, well i have unpluged it once. that was when i replaced it.

thats what i use the throttle hold for, but on another note are the wires on the stock motor/esc combo color coded. i know mine are.

but either way anything is possible i guess.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Kevo450

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

Depends on how sure you are the bearing is toast.

I would do it ....

Worst case is that you take it out .. clean and lube it .. and then find out its indeed totally broke . Then when the bearing gets there you already have it apart and can install the new one in just a few minutes. This could even be an incentive to install it. So that you clean up the bench. :-D I know ive had times where I needed parts and they just sit for a week or two till I get around to fixing whatever it is. But if I leave the heli apart on the bench , I install the part as soon as it arrives so as it clean off the bench.

Best case is that you fix it and get to fly .. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY !!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 AM
OldScaleGuy

With the blades off it is easy to confirm correct rotation. Typically, i only unplug one connector between the motor and esc when working on it, taping off the male connector just in case there is some contact. So, it is next to impossible to change rotation direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.