Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 outflys TREX all day!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Blade 400 outflys TREX all day!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Strangeflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade 400 outflys TREX all day!!!!

Ok, so now that has everyones attention, considering it's a false statment =) I have been flying
my new CP Pro2 for a few weeks now as it is my first CP heli to ever fly. Im doing pretty good so far and
want to move up a few sizes bigger. I like the T-rex500's but would rather move to a 400-450 size heli.
I have been thinking about going ahead and buying a RTF Trex-450 from a guy that professionaly builds
Align helicopter's and sells then RTF new, but thats $600-800 bucks and will dent my pockets alittle, so would it be wise to just spend that
money on a Blade 400 and go from there. Money really isn't the big issue, not that its alot of money for a Trex, but I want it to be worth while,
and keep in mind I want be doing much 3d until I learn a good bit more on the Pro2.

So big question here is, Blade 400 or Trex 450???

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
augerin2

Default RE: Blade 400 outflys TREX all day!!!!

Buy the Trex you won't be sorry. As you progress, it will alow you to progress further without having to get another5 bird. Besides my 2 cents the heli is a much much better bird.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

I have both a blade 400 and a t-rex 450. the rex is a better flyer, the manual on it sucks !!
If you can read, you can assemble a 400 3-D.
Plus the pride of doing it yourself is priceless to steal a line from a tv commercial.
Gary

Trex 450
Blade 400
Trex 600 NP (on the way from Heli Proz "as we speak.")
JR vibe 50
TT Raptor 50
"They're like potato chips; just gotta have more than one."
Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
ace22459

Get the T-Rex, but buy a kit. The building is a big part of the fun and you will also learn how the bird goes together. The knowledge you will gain from building it yourself will really pay off when you need to make repairs (and you will). You will also need to learn how to set up the heli (swash plate adjustment, linkage rod adjustments, blade tracking and balancing). It's all part of the game. Go over to HeliFreak and watch all the Finless Bob vids on the 450 SE. Everything you'll need to know is in those videos. Alan
Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Strangeflight

Great, I'll probably be getting the Trex,  as for the blade tracking, most adjustments and basic's I'v learned alot from the Cp Pro2 after
crashes and upgrades, I know there are big differences in the two heli's but the Cp has helped me learn alot.

I still would rather get the RTF already setup nice so I can start practicing more, Im not at all denying that I should
build the Kit, and I really do enjoy working on things as much as flying but I really want to hurry and practice. Ill buy the kit and build it later
after I get the first 450.

As for the flight, can someone tell me exactly why the Align flys so much better than the B400, is it more stable, more powerful or what?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
fusebmx13

Lets see. first of all I own a t rex 450 and an exi 450. I also have a t rex 250 but that is not rellavent. My friend has the blade 400. Here are some comparisons that I have noticed and that we have come to realize.

The t rex flies better in 3D moves. It is more stable and flies better. However i'm sure one could get the blade to fly just as well. It just costs a lot more. The t rex comes with all aluminum and carbon fiber. The blade does not. The blade comes with junk electronics, the t rex is your choice. And most of all, you learn more when you build the t rex.

I personally would suggest buying an exi cf edition. It's 77 bucks from xheli.com. It is the exact same thing as my se v2 t rex. It's actually a little better. Then get a clone 401 gyro for 30 bucks. 3 hs65mg's, a futaba 9257, volcano 30A esc from x heli, pick on of the motors from xheli recommended for a 450 size heli, and then your radio gear. I would suggest getting a DX7 right from the start. You wont regret it. For the same price as the blade you can get a better flying heli and more durable to. When you crash these things the only things that really break are: tailboom, main shaft, feathering shaft, and maybe the one way and main gear. Blades too depending on which ones you have. It would cost slightly more to get this setup flying, but it is all better quality stuff. It's up to you. The blade is ready to fly right away.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
helimangler

I own a Blade 400 and a couple 450 V2 all alluminum clones. The 400 is a very capable bird but needs some upgrading (which I did) in my opinion.

I would follow fusebmx13's advice and get an EXI or go with the CopterX 450AE V2 from Ehirobo and put in your choice of electronics. fusebmx13 has the ticket on that. I have close to what he says on mine but I went a little less expensive. Still metal gear servos, a descent tail servo, at least a 30amp controller and the 401B (futaba clone) will make you very happy!! That is once you master the process of setting it up correctly. I have EXI parts and they are interchangeable with my clones and I assume the Align original. Good cost effective alternatives if you ask me.

As far as size goes, I hear but have yet to experience that the larger helis are more easily flown. Just get a bit spendy in crashes, so that is why I am still working my skill level up before Imove to a larger scale bird. Also my vision is getting a bit on the weaker side at my age and a larger bird will be easier to see. LOL!!

Happy flying!!! Good luck in your quest!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Flying Foot Doc
My Feedback: (2)

Strange, I agree w/ getting a built heli if the time is more improtant to you than the building. I would also get a full heli kit to match. Then you will have most of the parts on hand when you get to the rebuilding part of the hobby - that part definitely comes. In general, bigger flies better. The most common comments I hear about the Blade is that you will need to upgrade the servos. For my other $.02, the metal gear Hitec servos have served me very well. Good luck, let us all know what you do & how it goes. Andy
Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM
mydartswinger

I can't say for the Blade 400 vs. the T-Rex 450, however I can say for the B400 vs. the Mini Titan (I know, not a T-Rex or clone, it just worked out better for me at the time) and larger helis. In this hobby, you get what you pay for. At first, the B400 satisfied me, as I too, was stepping away from a Blade CP and an AXE CP (I could never get the hang of either of them, I always crashed before I could get either set up right). After a while of flying it, I opted to get a 30 size glow heli and give it a whirl. What a difference!!!. I immediately noticed the greatly enhanced stability provided by the larger heli. After flying the 30 and getting decent with it, then going back to the B400, I started getting frustrated with the B400. Even with HS-65HBs on cyclic, I couldn't keep it still. After finally getting with some other heli pilots and watching one fly an EXI 450, I realized that the B400 wasn't what I had expected and that I should get a better airframe. That's when I got the Mini Titan. Night and day difference. Though still a bit drifty, it felt much more solid than the B400 in a hover. I still have some tweaking to do (as well as a gyro/tail servo change) to do to it to get it just right, but based on how it flies with the e-Flite G110 it should be even better with the better electronics. A T-Rex should be just as good, maybe better as I don't have any experience with the T-Rex (though I do have a 250 on the way).

Buy as big as you can afford. If you can get a 500, it'll benefit you in the long run. It'll be much more stable and your learning will progress faster. Yes, the crash cost will be exponentially more on a larger heli, but you theoretically will crash less often with a more stable heli. If you have the space to fly it and the budget, a 600 would be even better.

Just IMHO.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM
DRBo

I have been flying the Blade 400 for 9 months. It now has about 65 flights (avg 8min x 65 = 8.6 hours in the air). I have not been doing any 3D, just skill building ( do fly it in idle up part of the time). I had learned to hover on a Axe CP v1, as someone else has noted it's very twitchy & I'm glad that I learned to handle it. I really like the 400 it's been very reliable and after the Axe it's easy to fly. I have only crashed it once during this time, that was on flight 21 (accidental engagment of the throttle hold switch 6' off the ground). I would however tell you now get the septrum 7 radio & build your own, a 500 would be nice. It will make repairs a lot easier when required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyFJ2dLgqks

drbo
Axe Cp, Cx2, Blade 400, Blade MSR