Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Is the Trex 450sa still any good? >

Is the Trex 450sa still any good?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Is the Trex 450sa still any good?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Trex 450sa still any good?

I"m currently flying the blade Sr and ive used it to learn the basics like orientation, circuits, figure 8s etc... The thing is that even a little wind knocks it around liek crazy. So, ive been looking into the trex 450s. I'm wondering if the Trex 450sa is still a good helicopter. When i'm looking at the forums, everything is from years ago. How does it compare to the SE v2? I know that the motor in it is a 3550kv vs the SE V2's 3700kv. Is this much of a difference and is the 450SA still 3d capable?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Is the Trex 450sa still any good?

The SA is as good as it ever was. It always was 3d ready out of the box. But like with most everything else, it can be upgraded to make it better. And since the release of the SA, which is no longer in production, there is the V3 as well as the new 450 Sport and 450 Pro. You can find the SA at really good prices and it would be a great step up if your funds are limited. But I think most would recommend either a Sport or Pro.

Alan
Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM

All right, thanks for the information. I was wondering if there was something wrong with the SA because it sells for 200 while pro and the sport sell for 400+; My local hobby shop is selling a complete SA package for 500 dollars. It even includes a dx6i!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Nope, nothing wrong with it. I bought my SA about 3 1/2 years ago and at the time it was called an Almost Ready to Fly (ARF). I Paid $269.99 for it. Came with a motor and ESC and that was it. You had to buy servos, a gyro and a radio if you didn't already have one. It cost me about $1100 dollars to get it in the air because I didn't have a radio. I will admit, the motor that comes with the SA isn't the most powerful, it it will work. I upgraded mine to a Scorpion 2221-8 a couple years ago. Big difference in performance.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Compared to the SE, is it as stable?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM

I still have an SA that I've upgraded to a V1, soon to be upgraded to the V2. I found it very stable, It's what I learned to fly with, & it's what I still use to learn new stuff as it's cheeper to repair then my 500. I really like mine & would recommend it to anyone.
JIM r
nehc
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM

My SA has been a V2 for quite a while now. There may be some screws from the original SA, but that's it. My last upgrade was to go from the CNC V1 head to the full blown V2 head with the larger diameter feathering shaft. It's all CNC and CF now. I also have a V1 that is my dedicated night rig. And I have an SA clone that resides inside a Hughes 500D scale fuselage. The only differences between the SA and a V1 or V2 is that the SA has an aluminum frame, some plastic in the head and a plastic tail case. V1's and V2's are all CF and CNC aluminum head and tail case. And the V2 has the beefier feathering shaft. I really don't think any of the versions are any more stable than the others. The better your setup, the better she'll fly.

Alan
Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 PM

i was reading a bunch about converting the SA into the SE v2 and it seems like a popular route is to replace v2 parts as they break. Are all of the parts interchangable? I read that everything that touches the main shaft requires a significant amount of modification.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Yes, you can upgrade to V2 parts as the stock plastic ones break, but it will cost more in the long run to do it that way than it would to just buy the V2 in the first place. But I'll tell you, I throughly enjoyed upgrading mine because you learn to work on the bird. The SA comes almost completely assembled. All you have to do is install the electronics. All the mechanical is already done for you. You do, however, have to remove all the screws that go into metal and add locktite because sometimes the factory misses doing it to some if not all of them. As far as parts on the mainshaft needing to be modified, everything is interchangable except the feathering shaft, head block and blade grips. If you want to use the V2 feathering shaft, you have to have the V2 headblock and main blade grips because the feathering shaft is larger in diameter. All other head parts are interchangeable.

Alan