Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 It's now TRex all the way with me. NO CLONES >

It's now TRex all the way with me. NO CLONES

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

It's now TRex all the way with me. NO CLONES

Old 05-31-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's now TRex all the way with me. NO CLONES

I have a TRex 500 clone that I have yet to get off the ground due to pieces flying off everytime I spool it up. I have a Blade SR that is the twitchiest thing on the planet. I have 2 micros that I am bore with. I have a Trex 450 Sport that I just hovered for the first time and all I can say is WOW! It actually feels connected and solid and even in a little breeze. I am going to get a TRex 500 next and I won't waste my money on another clone. Just had to get this off my chest. I can honestly say I wish I would have bought a TRex 500 initially. I have about the same amount of $'s into the clone at this point. Sorry for rambling. It was nice to hover something that actually flew well!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM

Default RE: It's now TRex all the way with me. NO CLONES

I fly my HK clones 450 pretty hard now that I have crashed and learned. I am building a Trex 450 Sport (Super Combo package) and will be flying soon. I already see a big difference in the quality of the screws, adjustments... More later. I took pictures of my build and will post everything in a new thread.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 PM

There is a significant difference in the quality of product used to make the helis. My 500 clone is essentially a Trex now with all the Align parts I have put on it. I am now looking at getting a 500 3G. For one thing, when I crash, I will have less parts to break. Flybarless is just plain cool too...... I'm kind of a gadget fanatic.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 PM

have you thought about those new 550's?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Yes, I am considering a 550. Most likely a TRex due to part availability. Besides a small size difference, what are the other benefits?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM

i think its quicker for 3D more aerobatic, plus that 3G flybarless gives you a lot more power compared to the standard 500
Old 06-03-2010, 10:14 PM

I mostly fly 450 and 500 clones but I do have a 500 Align. the airframe is great but the Align gyro was dissapointing. If you get an Align 500, great, but don't use the gyro. At least, that's been my experiance. But my EXi 500 has been just fine for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 AM

i have a EXI 450.....flies awesome. it has only an Align motor & esc

IF they release the EXI 600...i'm on one !
Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 AM

For those that have learned with the clone, how was it? I've never flown a heli before, just used the real flight. I'm ready to try, but don't want to spend $500 on a heli. I wouldn't mind practicing w/ the HK 450 Pro, then moving to an Align if I really like it. Or should I not waste my time?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 AM

I still fly 2 HK450 and don't have a problem with them (unless I crash . I had to replace the tail gear (as recommended) with the Align part. Good enough to learn on until you want to do some 3D. Stock up on spare parts (Feathering shaft, main shaft, main head parts...). I would buy 2 kits just to be safe. I bought 4 and could probably put a 3rd one together with the parts I have now. I have an Align Trex 450 Sport, and it use it for 3D. I have a video on You Tube showing 2 HK450 and the Trex.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKaiP-8vcwI[/youtube]</p>
Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Did you see this one on the hobbyking site: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11445

Good reviews and according to HK finaly a version that don't need any upgrades.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM

I learned on clones myself. They were great for the learning/crash curve. if you crash bad enough it is cheaper just to buy a whole new kit. That being said, I have found that the worst thing about all of the clones is quality control! sometimes you get a flawless kit that goes together well and flies well. But <u>expect</u> to get a kit with some errors, things like bad bearings are common. Another issue is that the machining is usually a little cruder and not held to tolerance standards. This is why clones usually have more slop in the moving parts. There is nothing wrong with learning on a clone but dont be mad when you have some bugs that cost you an extra 50 bucks during your build.

However, now that i have progressed some and dont usually crash unless I am really pushing my limits, I will never buy another clone again. i want a heli that goes together as advertised. I have dumped so much money into clones I could have bought two align 450pro super combos! So after my last crash I bought an EXI 450 Pro clone and it had so many problems that it pushed me over the edge. I have dedicated this summer to the sim and taking backwards flight and inverted forward flight serious. I will be saving my chips and buying a namebrand heli in the fall. Probably the trex 450 pro. Ive also thought about moving up to a 500?? Is the size and power to weight really worth it? cant believe the batts are 3 times as much.

Just my two cents... thanks...
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: stevenfox905

I learned on clones myself. They were great for the learning/crash curve. if you crash bad enough it is cheaper just to buy a whole new kit. That being said, I have found that the worst thing about all of the clones is quality control! sometimes you get a flawless kit that goes together well and flies well. But <u>expect</u> to get a kit with some errors, things like bad bearings are common. Another issue is that the machining is usually a little cruder and not held to tolerance standards. This is why clones usually have more slop in the moving parts. There is nothing wrong with learning on a clone but dont be mad when you have some bugs that cost you an extra 50 bucks during your build.

However, now that i have progressed some and dont usually crash unless I am really pushing my limits, I will never buy another clone again. i want a heli that goes together as advertised. I have dumped so much money into clones I could have bought two align 450pro super combos! So after my last crash I bought an EXI 450 Pro clone and it had so many problems that it pushed me over the edge. I have dedicated this summer to the sim and taking backwards flight and inverted forward flight serious. I will be saving my chips and buying a namebrand heli in the fall. Probably the trex 450 pro. Ive also thought about moving up to a 500?? Is the size and power to weight really worth it? cant believe the batts are 3 times as much.

Just my two cents... thanks...
This is exactly what I am talking about. I just ran a couple of packs through my 450 sport and this thing is rock solid. It went together well and it flys great. I have recently purchased a TRex 500 and it is the same way.

Yes, the 500's are worth it. So much more stable! Take a look at Protos also. Very cool, but parts might be an issue. Also, buy the zippy 6S 2650 batts. Very reasonable.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 PM

i found a super deal on a HK600 GT.....i couldn't pass.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Please let us know how the HK600 works for you.