Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 replacement parts or preemptive upgrades for trex450? >

replacement parts or preemptive upgrades for trex450?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

replacement parts or preemptive upgrades for trex450?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement parts or preemptive upgrades for trex450?

looking at the sport since Im new to the game, figure Ill get the combo because I dont know any better and Ive read here that the electronics are fine. spectrum DX7 SE and AR7600 reciever.

throw in a battery and that should have me off the ground I figure...

so, when I crash it, and I will... what are common things to break, and anything that I would be well served to replace before hand that might save me from breaking in a crash?

blades I imagine, any suggestions for robust, but inexpensive blades to learn with?

anything else I should know before I go foward with the order?

also, lowest price I found(they were all about the same) was helidirect. if there are cheaper alternatives, and its not against the rules to say, Im listening
Old 05-31-2010, 04:40 PM

Default RE: replacement parts or preemptive upgrades for trex450?

Skektrum DX7 and AR6100 is enough for the 450 (unless you want to control lights or landing gear?). I built 3 HK450 and learned from them. Bought lots of spare parts. Happy with the clones, but going to the Trex 450 Sport now that I don't crash as often.

Consider a simulator first...</p>
Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM

The sport is a great bird. I would suggest leave it as is for now & just fly the rotors off of it. As far as spares goes here's my list of what I try to keep in stock !
1) extra blades ( Iwould suggest the 3D fiber glass of CF blades you can find them on e-bay for cheap)
2) Main shafta 2-3 pks
3) Feathering shafts 2-3 packs
4) flybars 2-3 pks
5) main gears you will strip these 2-3 pks
6) extra drive belt
7) extra cyclic servo ( at least one) I keep full set extra on hand just in case
8) landing gear sets ( at least one extra )
9) linkage shafts ( 1 set)
10) ball links ( 1 set)
Thats about it for the must have as far as I keep on hand, plus several batteries for everything I fly ( 450 V1//500CF//250se )
Good luck & have fun, welcome to the addiction !! LOL
Old 05-31-2010, 05:11 PM

I actually do have real flight sim, though have not used it for helis, I used it for aircraft. also recently got cx3, got bored of coax indoor flight in record time and thats what brought me here.

blades are 1 thing Im rather perplexed on. looking for durability of course, not concerned with corbon fiber for 3d abilities since... I wont be doing that with these blades. but wood sounds fragile, and some of the other cheaper blades seem to be of questionable quality as far as balance and thickness for fit. Im not looking to have to balance the blades :/ so currently I just have 2 extra sets of the stock carbon fiber align blades at 32bucks a set... but knowing CF, I expect they shatter at first impact. definitely will look at ebay. any specific links to suggest for them?

Ill get all the other stuff you mentioned too, may as well. only thing that puts my toys on the shelf is when I run out of part, then I procrastinate on replacing them, out of sight, out of mind. so I try to avoid that.

I am now leaning towards the pro. might be a bad choice for a beginner but seems like most everyone favors the torque tube later on :/ just hope I dont do anything too terrible while learning and itll pay off later.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: augerin2

8) landing gear sets ( at least one extra )
++1 to everything mentioned. I would upgrade to Gorilla gear when you break your first set of stock landing gear.

ORIGINAL: bauerbach

blades I imagine, any suggestions for robust, but inexpensive blades to learn with?
HeliDirect has a 3 pack of 325 mm woodies for $18. I've gone though about 18-20 of them, and the pairs have all been very well matched. The CG is almost identical and the weight is almost exact.

The Sport comes with a 14T pinion. I would also drop down to a 12T to slow down the head speed and increase your flight times (especially if you're going to use these woodies).

-Dave

Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 PM

do you have the part number for those blade by chance? or who makes them?

edit: I found them, sold out
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM

and I found a satisfying replacement, fiberglass, but at 6 bucks a set and good reviews, they will do the trick just fine.

Im on board now. next weekend will be the build.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 PM

I use the CF blades from Hobby Kink. Less than $15, and have been able to fix on minor crashes with CA.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I dont keep any extra parts for my heli's. My logic is if I have exxtra parts i will be more aggresive in my flying and more likely to crash so if I have no extra parts i will be more cautious Flying knowing I dont want to crash. Is this right? probally not but I get my shipments from helidirect in 1 day so if i do crash I know i can order from them and get my bird back in the air in no time.

I have the sport as well and it was a fun build and I do enjoy the heck out of the sport I run all stock and it works just fine for my newb flying style.

P.S. If you are a new heli Pilot i suggest getting some training gear untill you can take off and land with ease it will save your wallet in reapirs.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM

I saw 1 reccomended guide say to leave the training gear off... saying that it hid mistakes during early exercises. but... I know when I was learning on the cx3, it was quite handy... even now that I am quite stable with it, I still have it on because it seems to really soften the landings(also because the cx3 has a bit of a hard time getting out of its own way, and sometimes Ill go up real high and let it fall than gun it back up, the momentum doesnt always stop 100% before it hits bottom, its not hard, just a bounce, but the extra spring of the training gear helps absorb it I think.

Im sure the learning curve on the SR heli will be even worse about blade strikes though
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM
My Feedback: (2)

As you are in Alpharetta, drive up 400 to Atlanta Hobby in Cumming.
They stock T-Rex parts.....
nothing worse than waiting for parts from an online order....

Will help with setup questions too.....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Ill check out atlanta hobby, I was going into duluth to hobbytownusa before, didnt know there was a store in cumming.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 PM

and I found a satisfying replacement, fiberglass, but at 6 bucks a set and good reviews, they will do the trick just fine.

Im on board now. next weekend will be the build.
Oh nice! I'll have to get some with my next order!

I saw 1 reccomended guide say to leave the training gear off... saying that it hid mistakes during early exercises. but... I know when I was learning on the cx3, it was quite handy... even now that I am quite stable with it,
Have you found [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radd's School of Rotary Flight[/link]?

-Dave
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM

that was the guide I saw that had you start out sans training gear infact.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

that was the guide I saw that had you start out sans training gear infact.
It does, but you don't lift off the ground, and fairly quickly into the lessons, he has you put them on.

-Dave