Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 HK 500 HOBBY KING >

HK 500 HOBBY KING

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK 500 HOBBY KING

Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HK 500 HOBBY KING

HI !
I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE THE HK 500, TREX CLONE,LOOKS GOOD FOR A GOOD PRICE !
DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THE HK ?
IS IT WORTH THE MONEY ?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK 500 HOBBY KING

Can't speak to the HK 500 but I have a friend who bought the HK 600. had a fair amount of issues building it. Said fit was poor on maney of the parts and even had to re-machine parts to get them to work right ! Especially in the tail section. He's an computer / electrical engineer by profession so when he says it was a poor value/ poor fit, I believe him. I'd stick to an Align bird Even if you pick one up used from Run ryder or Helifreak classifieds. There is an old saying " You get what you pay for "
Just my two cents
Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 PM

I have the 450 and most of the parts are quite decent for the money. That said, expect that there could be part defects and you may need to replace some parts straight off the bat... The only problem I personally encountered was that the shaft for the tail rotor was bent when I got it. The old addage is correct to a point, that you do get what you pay for, but the way I see it you could replace the parts three times over on an HK500 before you even spent the same amount for a used genuine T-Rex 500. Higher end RC companies are notorious across the board for charging a premium for their nameplate. And one final bonus to the HK kits is that if at any time you want to foot the bill for upgraded Align parts, they'll bolt right up. Just my $.02.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Get the HK500GT I have one never had to do any replacement of parts to get it to work. It really is a nice bird flys very well is well mannered and has given me no trouble other than my own stupidity. I also have the all bling one I'm building and a plastic one which flew fine as well. So far I have over 120 battery packs and it is nicely worn in flys like a dream. All the electronics are HK except for the gyro which is Futaba 240 the HK401 is prone to drift slowly to the right in HH mode but works fine in normal mode. My batteries and chargers are all HK too and are doing very well if you don't over discharge them. I have a HK600 on the way and expect good results with that without any need to machine
Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 AM
My Feedback: (9)

I just built the HK500CMT and the only issue that was not my fault was that I had to cut off about 1/4" off the back end of the tail boom so the belt would not be too tight. I am waiting for a spare servo to arrive (yep, my fault) to maiden. I bought a bunch of spares and figure that I can afford to replace anything we may break well before I'd have paid as much as a real Align heli would cost. at just over $100 I can't complain. If the heli bug bites me too bad I'm sure I'll get a real Trex sometime, but for now this is a great heli.
Sam