Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's >

HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

Jimmy,
Thanks for the advice. I got the parts all together and am waiting on the servos, esc, batt, etc.. I started watching some videos by Finless Bob on things like ball joints and now I want to order a ball joint sizer and redo them on this heli. I'm sure they are too tight as they are. I've ordered some spares and have tried some hovering on the sim. I did find a Trex 500 Real flight but have to get my oldest son to put it in the game.
Can you point me toward a heli primer so I can understand what the idle up does? I understand the what the controls on the rotor head and swash plate do, and how the rudder control works, but I'm vague on the motor controls. On the sim it seems like one switch sets two different motor speeds and another switch seems to set the speed of the motor to the position of the left stick, which I thought controlled the pitch of the blades for lift.
Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM

Interesting difference of opinion on simulators. I have never found a model that resembles any of my real helis. I alternate each time I fly on the simulator. Can you share tips on adjusting settings for the sim models?

Gilles
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Idle up controls motor speed & pitch for acrobatic/3D flying. On the 500 at throttle mid stick you would have 50% pitch & your throttle setting in the radio should be set to about 85 %. The differance is when you lower your stick in idle up, your in Negative pitch, mid stick is 50% pitch or 0 pitch flat blades, and above mid stick is positive pitch.
On my 500, my current idle up Throttle settings are on my Dx6i Low= 100% low 2 = 98.5% mid = 98 position 4 = 98.5% H = 100 %. My pitch curve is linner. that is low = 0%, 2 = 25%, 3(mid stick) = 50%, 4 = 75%, and H = 100+
I started with 85 or 90 at mid stick then advanced it becuase I found it easier to "catch it when going into inverted hover. Just double CK your esc setting based on engine beeps to make sure it's programed correctly, but on all the Align esc the default settings were fine.
Depending on your radio you may have idle up 1 & 2 which allows you 2 programming choices. What radio are you useing again ?

Jimmy R
Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 AM

What sim do you own if you have a pheonix I'll share my settings with you that best simulate my Trex 500 based on my machines set up. I just kept playing around with collective response, cyclic response etc settings until I arrived at something that "felt" similer to my birds.
I've done the same thing with my 450 sim models & the 250 sim model. I also use same expo setting on the sim which for me is -15% cyclic and either 0% rudder or -3 to -5 % for my 250 & 500 varies due to gyro & setup
Mostly trial & error stuff. But I'll send you my setting for a jumping off point if you like.
Jimmy R
Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM

I took the plunge. I just placed an order for an HK500GT and all the parts I need to build. I also ordered an OrangeRX DSM2 compatible with my Spektrum DX7. I'll give that a try. I will need to find a better gyro. I ordered the cheap HK401 for now. I do have one item on backorder, which is CF blades. Hopefully there is frequent turnaround on those, and the order will not be delayed too much.

Jimmy, my simulator is RealFlight G4.5

Gilles
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm not familer with that one, I own Pheonix, but if you go to the Helifreak website and scroll down to simulator help someone in the forums will be able to help you out with model set up. I'm going to ( And forgive this "assume) there are setting like Pheonix to adjust each model individually. Check your & I might be able to point you in good starting direction from there
Jimmy R
Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM

A quick update. I've learned some lessons putting the HK 500 CMT together, and found a local flier who flies a Trex 500 so I've got someone who can check the heli setup. I've been watching all of HeliFreak videos on setup and think I have the heli dialled in for a maiden, but..... back to lessons learned.
1. Watch the video first, then start assembling the heli.'
2. Don't overtighten the Jesus nut and bolt on the lower shaft.
3. Dont' hook up the main battery to the ESC backwards!
4. If you do, order a new tail servo with the ESC.
5. When your experienced flier/friend asks you if you're going to replace those bullet connectors on the battery pack with Deans,
and you say you are, do it right away (see #3 above).
6. I've read that the tail rotor belt supplied is too short. Not true, same length as the Align belt. However, either the boom is too long or the socket it goes into is too short. I did have to grind about 1/4" off the rear of the tail boom in order to get enough slack in the belt.
7. Resist the urge to spool up the heli on your son's desk. There I was crouched under the blades, slowly inching the throttle open and it sucked a poster off the wall and shredded it with the main blades..
Right now my son and I are practising on the simulator and waiting for the new ESC and tail servo to arrive. Back yard spool-ups have been very nice, although weighting the heli down with scuba weights is not the preferred way. We're not putting the blades into positive pitch when doing this....
I'll try to post some pix one of these days!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 AM

Two more things....
I got to see a Trex 500 fly the other day and I am hooked. I've already ordered my own HK 500 CMT and spares!
Sam
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 AM

LOL
Welcome to the addiction !!!! Keep us posted

Jimmy R
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm not sure if I want to laugh with you or cry for you. Yeah, we all make mistakes that make us better in the long run. I can now build a 450 and bring it to a hover in a very short time. I remember my first attempt. Just plugging the battery was an experience.

Have fun!

Gilles
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 AM
My Feedback: (12)

first off how much heli flying experience do you have? A rookie should not have his settings suitable to fly 3D these settings can be too aggressive because for one thing the first panic landing will drive the heli into the ground due to the negative pitch setting. Second it will also be a handfull to control,my settings are way dumbed down so that I can mildly fly my HK500 no real aggressive moves until I'm ready to handle it.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 PM

My only RC heli experience other than a simulator, which I'm still trying to master, is a Blade CX2 coaxial. I've been watching a lot of the videos that Finless Bob has produced, and based on what he says, and the local Trex 500 pilot, I've got my pitch curve set so that at low stick on the "normal" condition, I have about 2 degrees of negative pitch. I also have reduced the amount of throw in the swash program. I am all for "dumbing down" the controls until we get the hover mastered! In addition

My new esc and tail servo arrived today. I had been using a Turnigy Plush 80 until the backwards battery incident, and the one I have now is a Turnigy 75. It seems to have a softer start (I've programmed both to their softest start position). I got up the nerve to start it up in the back yard, but did not spool it up past about 1/3 stick, which is still in slightly negative pitch. The tail pretty much stayed where it was supposed to, and moved the right direction when I moved the rudder.

I've taken it apart so often that now I need to go through and make sure I've got it all back together, and I also need to neaten up my servo wire installation.

Thoughts on using expo to smooth it out more?

Sam
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM

The HK500CMT has flown! Yesterday my friend made a few minor adjustments to the head linkage, gyro gain, throttle and pitch curves, and off it went. The battery seemed to go fast but I did not have a timer set so I can't say for sure how much. We're using a Turnigy nanotech 2650 25-50s. If HK ever gets any 3000 mah of this battery in , I'll be ordering some more. So now that my son's heli is flying, I'm starting the build of MY heli today. My only complaint this minute is that the canopy came broken, smashed by the frame. I've emailed HK but I'm not hopeful. I've ordered a plain white canopy from Heliproz and I"ll paint it myself. Here is the head, as it comes from HK, ready for disassembly. They did a pretty good job with their assembly but I'm sure there is no lock tite and no grease where there should be some!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73741.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1505205  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 PM

I just found that when I went to insert the flybar through the stablizer control set assembly,one of the end pieces had the hole bored at an angle, so when the assembly was screwed together, the holes would not line up. I had a spare and used it, but I have attached a pic of the faulty one. You can see that with the hex wrench through the hole, it tilts downward to the left. I've sent HC an email, so we'll see what they do.
Sam

Name:	Ec89745.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	1505340  
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM

My son tried his first hover yesterday. I made a set of training gear from two fiberglass pushrods and four styrofoam balls from a crafts store. He got a few minutes of hovering in before I got nervous and told him to set it down - I startled him and he brought it down a bit hard - the tai rotor touched the ground and the gear stripped. I have a spare and he's ready to go again. This time we'll hover over pavement!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Congrats !!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Here are some pix from today. My son Parker got in about ten minutes of hovering practice today, under the watchful eye of our friend Jessie Salmonson. Jessie has been flying for about five months but flies like he has been at it much longer. The training gear has saved some minor repairs. I had to cannabilize a servo from my heli to keep Parker's in the air, so I may have to wait a week before mine is ready to maiden.
This is too much fun!

Name:	pn36337.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	504.9 KB
ID:	1507425   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc91694.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	528.2 KB
ID:	1507426  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 AM

Looking Good Gotta get yours in the air now
Old 09-27-2010, 08:06 AM

Yes I do! The second heli is going much quicker although I seem to have less time. Instead of waiting around for the servo to come I'll build the boom/tailcase/tail rotor next. I heard back from HK on the flybar cage end, and they asked if I'd re-drilled the piece myself. I explained that no, it came from the factory off center. No word on the canopy yet ,but at the price HK charges for this Heli I can buy a few spares....
Sam
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Some more practice today. I've decided that the gear that runs the belt to the tail rotor is weak. Twice now the gear stripped on a relatively light landing. I did some internet searching and found that others had found the same thing. I'd already ordered a few extras from HK but today I ordered two Align parts for my and my son's heli's. Once we get the real McCoy installed I'll let you know if it really makes a difference. I sure hope so. Other than that, it's amazing to see my son lifting off the heli, moving it a bit, setting it down, etc.. These machines are really something else!
Sam
Old 09-29-2010, 11:42 AM

That's Great !! Wait until you start pushing it around in slow FF & then FFF.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 PM

I've been dealing with the stripping of the tail drive gear some more. I cannibalized my heli and put the gear in my son's and we tried some flying today. The gear stripped on spool up. I took the heli home and did some careful disassembly. I found that the main gear was rubbing on the top of the opening in the fuse. I took it apart and found that the bearing had somehow "slipped" downwards in the main gear housing. I had a spare set and installed them and now the gears are centered in the opening again. I should have my Align tail gear soon, and after that some HK tail gears. I'm not sure why the bearing would slip lower in the main gear, since none of my son's "landings" have been that hard.
I've been dealing with HK customer support on the broken canopy, incorrect power cord, and incorrectly drilled hole in the flybar cage. I won't go into details but we're on about four or five emails now and they don't sound like they'll do anything. I told myself that I would not get stressed out over this - one reason I bought spare parts. I knew that customer service from China would be pretty useless, and I can't help but picture in my head a bunch of Chinese minimum wage workers in cubicles following some flow chart designed to drive folks used to Western business practices crazy. I figure for the cost of the basic heli it's still hard to beat. Once we beat the tar out of these learining, we'll eventually move up to real Trex 500's, but for now they're good learning machines.
Sam
Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 AM

wow this is really great to read... reminds me of when i started building and hovering.. those were the hard days
Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 AM

Oh brother Sam, that's why I got away from the first heli I bought which was the exceed Raptorg2 from X-Heli. bad customer support & got tired of waiting for parts Crash in 3 seconds wait 3 week to fic only to repeat. Hope they help you out in your situation.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Some good news: I took the main gear apart and used a vice as a press and was able to move the bearing sleeve back to the top of the gear. I still don't know what caused it to move downwards but at least now I have a spare if I need it.
Sam

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.