Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's >

HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

I got to fly through three battery packs today, about six minutes apiece (Turnigy 3000 6S 20c). I stopped flying at 3.8 volts. I actually had some control over the heli today - only problem was that it was cold! And a few "landings" that would not have needed the training gear! I've got the swash dialled down and about 30% expo, so it's pretty docile. When I got home I discovered that one link on the elevator had broken, so it was sliding up and down the anti rotation leg. Whoops! I wondered why my forward/backward control seemed a bit sluggish! I'll try again tomorrow, weather permitting. I'm starting to not get so nervous as I spool it up to lift off. What a blast!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Hey Sam
Glad to hear your off the ground !! Keep up the good work it will come with time.
Jimmy R
Old 10-28-2010, 07:29 AM

Thanks Jimmy! I really like being able to practice just a minute or two from my front door (our church parking lot is pretty much empty during the weekday late afternoons) and makes a great practice area). It will be nice to have a bit more experiece when my son brings his out to practice - he picks up the skills a lot faster that his dad! I don't know how long it will take to get hovering down, but I figure that by the time I "master" hovering from all angles the snow will be here! My fingers got so cold I could hardly feel the sticks yesterday, and it still onlly Fall. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'm hoping to get Phoenix flight sim next month-depends on the bills.
Sam
Old 10-29-2010, 06:11 AM

I hear the "bill thing". His whole family hangs out at my house also[:-] LOL
I think you'll really like, & benifit from Pheniox. I have it, love it & I've noticed the improvements since I bought it. It will never replace "real stick time" but it's a definite help. I also fly for the majority of the time right up the street from my house. 3 min drive
It's not as big an area as I'd like but anything is better then nothing. Enjoy& have fun. Remember it will come with time & patient's !!
Jimmy R
Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 AM

I put a new gyro on the heli yesterday. I've been using a Turnigy 302 and it has been fine except that I have to retune it every time I use it. It's a "telebee" clone and when I hook it up it "creeps". Supposedly once you adjust your trim or subtrim to the point it does not creep, you're set to fly, and it seems to hold okay, although it occasionally glitches and and then the heli jerks the tail. But it has to be retuned constantly. I had bought a HK 401 gyro to try, so I did the mod with hot glue (or was it Goop) and gave it a test yesterday. On spin up the tail holds very well in rate mode, when I flip to HH mode, it does drift a bit so I think I need to turn up the gain. It seems to have much more positive control that the 302. I ordered another one for my son's heli. I hope to have a flight report later today.
Sam
Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 PM

My HK600GT flybar holder has the same misdrilled holes as yours. How did you fix it?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Well, if you take Hobbyking's customer service advice, you merely bend it to fit through both holes[:@]! I had a spare that I bought when I bought the heli, in case of a crash. The spare part was drilled correctly so I just used that. I have not heard back from HK customer service on that, and don't expect to. Sorry to hear about your part....
sam
Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Question on the 401 gyro...... When I spin it up (not quite lifting off) in rate mode, it is rock solid. When I spin it up in HH mode, the tail wants to slowly rotate to the left. I can counter with some slight rudder, but I was under the impression that if I had it dialled in on rate mode it was good to go in HH mode. Any suggestions? I'm going to strap on my training gear and try a hover later this afternoon if the rain gives me a break. I'll check the thread before I do.
Sam
Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

Well, if you take Hobbyking's customer service advice, you merely bend it to fit through both holes[:@]! I had a spare that I bought when I bought the heli, in case of a crash. The spare part was drilled correctly so I just used that. I have not heard back from HK customer service on that, and don't expect to. Sorry to hear about your part....
sam
No worries. I found some parts on ebay, but wanted to see what you came up with.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 PM

If it's the HK401, they all do that it seems. At least for me. I tried 3, still using 1.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:10 PM

I took it out today and "hovered" through four packs. In both rate and HH mode, the heli did not rotate as I was spooling up. But when I got airborne, I found that the heli wanted to drift to one side or the other, which I am learning to counter with the right stick. It also wants to rotate one way or the other a bit, which I'm beginning to counter with rudder input. Does this sound normal? I guess I was kind of expecting the heli to not change direction at all with the HH mode on, but I find myself inputting rudder all the time to keep in tail in. Not one way to counter rotation, just a bit left and right as the tail swings a bit. I am getting the inputs to keep it in a more confined area - only had to set down because it got a bit far off two or three times today. I guess I'm wondering if the gyro is working as it's designed. I definitely have the feeling the gyro is something I'll be upgrading eventually. But for hovering and practicing the basics, does0 this setup seem up to the task?
Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 PM

Is it possible there's an issue with the servo or linkage?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 AM

I think the servo and linkage are good. I may switch the old gyro back to compare....
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 PM

What gyro are use using ?
Jimmy
Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Sam
If its a 401 clone, make sure your mechanical setup is right. If so, try re-centering your trims both sub, and flight. Then go into the gyro gain menu. Turn gain up to 100% and set the subtrim. Once this is done turn it back down to whatever your settin is for flight ie; 65% for example & then re-check for creep, if it's creeping slightly re-adjust you subtrim until it stops, or is at least very minimal, then re-try flying. This is how I got my JR500T to fly decent.Every once in awhile I have to repeat the process when I notice crep coming back in. Seems temperature has an effect on this issue. I recently had to re-adjust mine when fall temps started to arrive.
Let us know
Jimmy
Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 AM

Well I put back on the Turnigy 302HH and it was better but still had the occasional "jerk". I flew through another four batteries and then I noticed that one of the tail shaft bearings had disintegrated. So, I have a replacement on order. I've also done some checking around regarding gyros, and I think I'll bite the bullet and get a Spartan Quark. I almost ordered a spare set of those tail shaft bearings last order, but didn't. Rats.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:40 AM

I also had to replace one of the Turnigy 930mg servos the other day. The aileron servo developed a big jitter at neutral. It would just "bounce" repeatedly. I could move the sticks and it would stop for awhile, and it would respond to inputs, but no way am I trusting the heli to it. I try to have a spare on hand because when they do work they seem to be good servos, and to replace one is cheaper than buying replacement parts for name brand servos. Now I just need to wait a week for the tail shaft bearings to get here (and of course the weather is supposed to improve this week!).
Old 10-31-2010, 09:00 AM

I received my new metal tail unit the other day to replace the flawed plastic unit from HK (not free replacement). My HK500GT is now back in the air. Already 3 batteries. Now I have to look for skis for the heli. It snowed last night, but the sun just came out and should melt it away by afternoon. For the winter, I'm thing of putting foam pipe isolation on the landing gear and a ping pong or foam ball on the tail. Any other suggestion? I like my transmitter glove I got from HK. I might add a hand warmer inside from time to time to keep my hands and transmitter warm.

Gilles
Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM

Insulation on the skids is a really good idea.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 AM

I borrowed my son's heli to practice with and found that the gyro works better than mine, but that the Turnigy Plush 80 ESC had a spot right at mid throttle curve where it was cutting in and out, causing all manner of issues. I substituted the ESC from my heli and it worked fine. Put his Plush 80 in, and same problems. Foruntately I had a spare ESC so I've just finished programming it and tested it- works fine now. Although the Turnigy ESC's are supposed to be pretty good, I apparently got a dog. Good thing I had ordered two....
Sam
PS Still waiting for my tail shaft bearings, which should be here later this week, and the Quark, which should be here tomorrow!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 AM

I got a bad Tx from HK, and I hope it's the only bad item from them. My ESC, BEC, servos and motorhaven't arrived yet. I really hope those're OK, as buying from the hobby shop will cost 3x or 4x as much. Even so, I went ahead and got a futaba 7C radio system locally.

Is your ESC programmable?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Yes, the Plush 80's are programmable. I bought the programming card which makes setup a cinch. The faulty one used to work just fine - I can't imagine how they just go bad. But I've found when ordering from HK that if I can order two it serves me well in these situations. They're customer service is so bad I won't even try to return it.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Had a good day with the heli today - in fact, a quantum leap forward in my opinion! Yesterday I was flying my son's heli (stock HK500 CMT with the 1600 kv motor, 3000mah 6S batteries, Align tail group (only because it was quicker to buy Align that HK when the original one let go - unknown if a bolt backed out but the blade retaining bolt did not shear), and HK 302 HH gyro. I was flying in our church parking lot and was having to set the heli down if it got too close to one edge or the other, maybe covering a 50 foot swath. When I got home I found the front LG was broken, mostl probably due to my none-to-gentle set-downs.
Today I was "hovering" and able to keep the heli in an area about 8x8 feet! I flew through six packs. I changed the way I held the tx, using the strap as intended and pinching the sticks. I did have to add rudder occasionally but not every second of the flight. And I only had to set the heli down a few times to keep it from getting too far away, and for the last three packs I did not have to set it down unless I wanted to! I actually felt like I had a little bit of control!!!! I can hardly wait to get the packs re-charged and get back out there. My son is coming tomorrow and will hopefully start getting some serious stick time in too.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:36 AM

great [sm=biggrin.gif][sm=thumbup.gif], Feels good don't it, keep up the good work & have fun !!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:05 PM

I like hearing successful flight stories. Weather has been bad recently, and I haven't had a chance to fly a lot. I did replace the tail group of my HK450GT with the HK metal offering, and was able to fly a few batteries. IM happy with it so far. In my case, a screw sneered as reported by others.

Gilles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.