Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

My son and I are going to build the HK 500CMT. I thought I'd start a thread for other beginners to see and also gain some input from more experienced modelers. The kit arrived yesterday and it appears that the major assemblies have been put together. I've downloaded a TREX 500 manual and will follow that as best I can. I have read that each assembly must be taken apart and re-assembled with threadlock and CA in the appropriate places.
The kit seems complete but I haven't done an inventory as yet.

I'll post some pix and also the nuts and bolts of what we've ordered to put it the heli. I ordered a Typhoon motor which has arrived. Next shipment from Hobby King will include the battery (Turnigy nano something 6S 2650 mah 25-30c, Turnigy 80 amp ECS/BEC, Turnigy metal gear digital servos, etc..
Questions: Does this come with pinion gears? If not, what should I order?
More to come.
Sam
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 AM
augerin2

Default RE: HK 500 CMT Build Thread - Beginner to Heli's

The Trex 500 comes with either 12 or 13 tooth pinion in stock form. The Trex likes head speed so I reccommend the 13 tooth.
Jim R
Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 AM
gi1mo2

I don't believe the HK500 comes with pinions although the description suggest that it does (states a 13T pinion). HK does have some motors with pinions, and others without. Check the description and comments on the motor you choose for your model.

Check motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9258
Pinion: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9543
Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM
DaddySam

Thanks for the great information. That motor is the very one we have for the heli, and I'll be ordering the pinion set this week. I'm trying to make an order that will cover most of the other stuff we need. Another question: I see where the motor fits in the frame, but it did nto come with mounting bolts. Is there a special mounting set that I need?
Thanks again,
Sam
Old 08-25-2010, 04:20 PM
gi1mo2

I believe these are the mounting screws compatible with the motor. Just in case, look for others, and order a few sizes (they are cheap).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8714
Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 AM
OrganDonor

Hi Daddysam
Welcome to the club.(Empty Wallet Club) I am forever buying gear for my helis as I crash alot. I have been doing this for about 15 months now and started with a Trex 500 and would say you have chosen a good size heli to start with. One thing I feel compelled to warn you about is batteries. I bought all the 20 and 30 C batteries and found they work fine in the hover and basic forward flight mode. Once you start flying in idle up and doing some basic 3D they will puff and soon after you will get cells that don't take a good charge. I have 5 x 2650 40C 6s packs and 2 x 2550 40C 3s packs and they take what ever you through at them. I also have about 15 dead 20C 3000 packs which won't even hold a hover now.
Good luck with the build, you will get the biggest buzz from flying a heli. It is like no other RC product. I have tried Planks, boats, cars and motorbikes and nothing compares to the mental imput needed for Heli flying. I guess that's what makes it so exciting. My wife calls my helis my other girls.
Michael
Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 AM
DaddySam

Thank you all for the encouraging words and advice. I've gone through the kit contents some more and found that it did have a pinion gear but it is 13t and I've read that for milder flying it likes the 12 T so I went ahead and ordered that along with the other supplies. The battery pack is:Turnigy nano-tech 2650mah 6S 25~50C Lipo Pack, so hopefully, for a first pack that will see a lot of simple hovering and forward flight I'm hoping it will last. As we get better I'm sure we'll get some additional packs. With school starting I'm not sure how fast the assembly will go - I'm hoping we'll have it assembled in a few weeks. I'll be asking some questions on setup and Tx programming too.
Thanks again!
Sam
Old 08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
augerin2

Yup welcome & + 1 on the club LOL Empty wallet club, I'm also a memmber in good standing of the wife's " Now what is that going to cost club "
Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
augerin2

Weekend project Sam, built mine & had it flying in about 10 hrs, my 250 went together in about 8. From box to air
Have fun
Jimmy R
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 AM
DaddySam

Good to hear! Guess I'd better get to it then. I'm hoping for some early morning assembly time before my kids are off to school. I'll try to post some pix today.
Sam
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 PM
augerin2

Basic build should go quickly, main frames rotor head etc. make sure you disassemble & locktight everything, make sure all your ball links are correct. When you install your servos pwr them up so they go to center, then put on the servo wheels & get them as close to 90 deg as possible, using subtrim when you have to to get the centered & swash level. you'll do just fine.
Keep in touch
Jimmy R
Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
OrganDonor

Yeah Sam, I built my 500 in one night. Started after dinner and had it finished by 4 am. What a night, it was great watching it come together. I didn't test it for a few days till I got my head in shape and had built some training gear out of dowel and foam balls.
Michael
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM
DaddySam

Went through the rotor head/swash plate last night. I took it all apart and reassembeld the pieces with loctite on the bolts and some grease on the shafts and bearings. Only about half a dozen screws/bolts seemed to have been missed by the original assembler when it came to the loctite. I adjusted the ball links per the Align Trex 500 specs so hopefully they are close to being right on. I see what you guys mean about this going fast, once I got over the jitters of taking it apart!

Question: Should the flybar paddles (hoping that's the correct term) be loose (like the blades) or are they tightly fastened, and if tightened how do I set the correct angle - eyeball?

Sam
Old 08-27-2010, 09:00 AM
gi1mo2

Yes, they should be tight. I do eyeball mine to be horizontal. I did have a paddle a bit loose, and the angle changed in mid-flight after a hard maneuver. I had to (luckily) land because the heli got into hard vibration...
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
augerin2

Sam

The paddles should be level/ horizontal with the cage when eyeballed across. The flybar shaft should have two set screws in the top of the cage if it's like the Trex 500 and those should be snugged down & loctitied. Make sure you have equal lengths of both flybar shaft & paddles distance from the edge of the cage to the end of the shaft & then the side of the paddle. Use a ruler with mm incriments on it or better if you have one, a slide caliper ( electronic that you can set to mm is preferable ) to measure the distance on both side or else it will cause a real bad vibration.
Jimmy R
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM
augerin2

Sam

also on the paddles themselves if they do not have set screws like align Trex 500 use super glue on flybar threads to secure them after you have measured the distance from the cage & made sure they are equal,, so the do not change position in flight. I have had this happen to me on my 450 several times and it becomes a REAL HANDFUL to fly LOL
Jimmy R
Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 AM
augerin2

Sam

Just checked the Hobby King site for parts info on your 500. The flybar cage does have the set screws and the flybar has the same indentations as the Align bird does to make centering it easier. Just make sure your set screws are in the indents & then with the paddles screwed on CK the distance like I said fron the edge of the paddle to the cage. Also the paddles on the Hobby King web site show set screws on the paddles so tighten them down once you have your distances from the cage to the side of the paddle equal.

Jimmy R
Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM
DaddySam

Got the heli assembled today, except for servos and motor, rx, gyro, batteries, etc..
Question: The ends of the tail boom supports look like they may have been glued onto the CF rod, but they are not now. Should the CF rod be CA'd into the metal ends?
Thx
Sam
Old 08-27-2010, 01:38 PM
augerin2

Sam

you might differant answers here, I personally don't CA my rods. It really doesn't seem to add any strength, and it's one less thing to break in a crash. The rod ends usually just come out without any damage if you bend up the tail boom
Jimmy R
Old 08-27-2010, 02:32 PM
gi1mo2

I actually glue the rods because strain can be both downward or upwards on 3D maneuvers. Also reduces twisting that could be felt in tight turns.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM
DaddySam

Another couple of question about this bird. I've got the tail boom seated all the way into the tail boom holder, and when I put on the tail rotor and gear assembly the drive belt is fairly tight. With the pieces all together the tension seems to be set automatically. Is there a way to know it the belt tension is too high?
Next, can you guys give me a list of spares I should have on hand? It looks like I should have at a minium spare blades, main shaft, stabilizer shaft.
Lastly for now, for any of you that use Realflight G3.5, I was trying out the simulator and realize I need some help here too. What kind of heli would be close to this one as a sim?
And, Are there any parameters I should program in to make it work more like the real thiing?
Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 AM
augerin2

Sam
Again baseing your build off my Trex 500 the tail belt was fairly snug when you get the boom in not alot of extra play. Far less then in my 450. As far as spares, Blades, Main shaft, feathering shaft, flybar shaft, main gear , extra landing gear struts, and a couple of extra cyclic servos, in case you strip one. If not extra servos, at least servo re-build kit.
Sorry can't help you out with the Realflight, I fly Pheonix Sim. Hopefully someone else can offer you some help in this matter.
How's your build coming?? Almost there yet, it sounds like your close.
Keep in touch & send pics if you can when done
Jimmy R
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM
gi1mo2

I use RealFlight G4.5. You should find the toughest heli (large enough size) you can get on a simulator. At least, if you can handle it and if you 500 is more stable, you sould be able to compensate for any movement quite easily.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
OrganDonor

With flight sims I have always used the easiest model (generally a large nitro) that way you can concentrate on orientation and stick positions. As you grow so will your model choice.
cheers
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 PM
augerin2

My two cents Sam, If you can get the Trex 500 model for the Sim, fly that, that way you can get used to the way your bird flys. I try to get the setting for the model as close as possible to my own 500. Then as you get better pump up the sim speed to help improve your eye hand coordination & reflexes.
Also get used to using idle up as soon as possible. It will help prevent creating bad habits which could lead to a crash or two down the road. LOL Trust me on this one.
How's the build coming by the way ?

Jimmy R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.