RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   T-Rex heli (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/)
-   -   Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/3708710-official-t-rex-450-xl-se-thread.html)

Street Flyer 09-09-2006 05:03 PM

RE: Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

What about the Align 430L and Align 35A motor and speed controller?

Street Flyer 09-10-2006 11:34 AM

If I go with the Align 430L, which KV should I go with.

Street Flyer 09-10-2006 01:13 PM

What does the governor in the ESC do?

consultjdm 09-11-2006 10:21 AM

I use the 3550 KV 430L one. It has good power. I think I saw a 4050 KV one, I'm not sure which is best.
JD

ORIGINAL: Street Flyer

If I go with the Align 430L, which KV should I go with.

consultjdm 09-11-2006 10:39 AM

Street Flyer

When you set the throttle curves in standard mode or idle up mode to say 0,85,85,85 and 85,85,85,85 to give you constant head speed and the throttle stick only really affects pitch then. The governor mode on the ESC helps to recognize the head speed at say 85% and if it notices the head speed slowing during loading (as you push the throttle up and apply pitch to rise) it will give it more power to hold the head speed that you were trying to get through the TX at 85% power.

Of course whether you set it at 85% or 90% across the board depends on the head speed you are trying to get. I suppose somewhere between 2200 and 2500 RPM. Hopefully you can achieve the head speed you want and still be below 100% on the throttle curve so the ESC governor mode can have some power to do what I explained above.

I think with my 430L and Phoenix 35 amp ESC I only need to run at 85% on the curve to achieve 2350 RPM with a 11 tooth pinion and the yellow carbon blades.

I love governor mode. Its much more stable in flight and has much quicker response ( because your already at full head speed) and things like trying to come down are not double or triple jepordy, meaning it is dropping due to pitch and slowing head speed and becoming more unstable. I think it is much easier and controllable coming down to land and doesnt drop like a rock from cutting throttle and giving negative pitch, and since you have full head speed if you are coming down to quick you have pleant of head speed to give it up pitch to pull out of the hard landing.

There may be one down side, if you are down at the ground and crash somehow, instead of the head speed being lowered as you come down it is still at full speed, so a crash may be worse, But I find at low head speed coming down it still does a ton of damage so may as well be at full speed and crash less.

So I say, definately fly in governor mode, and set your start up to soft and of course, brake off. That will give you a nice gentle wind up. Well thats my opinion.

JD

zxcvcxz 09-11-2006 02:19 PM

Hi guys

I just recently got a 450SE all installed with electronics and ready to fly as a present. I've previously owned and crashed numerous times a walkera 36. Everything i know about rc helis is from owning the 36. Which amounts to much of nothing. So... you'll probably see me asking lots of 'dumb' questions in the coming weeks. =)

Anyway. I was wondering if any one could help me with picking out a transmitter. I have a walkera tx and a futaba tx that turned out to be for airplanes. (A stands for airplane... duh.)

Its between the Optic 6 (w/ or w/out spectra.. i dont know does it matter?)
futaba 6EXH
and futaba 7CHP..

and can anyone recommend a place where i can buy them for good price? (>$200 budget)

thanks

consultjdm 09-11-2006 04:48 PM

Check out the Spektrum DX6, it is $200, I've never had a glitch with mine.
JD

ORIGINAL: zxcvcxz

Hi guys

I just recently got a 450SE all installed with electronics and ready to fly as a present. I've previously owned and crashed numerous times a walkera 36. Everything i know about rc helis is from owning the 36. Which amounts to much of nothing. So... you'll probably see me asking lots of 'dumb' questions in the coming weeks. =)

Anyway. I was wondering if any one could help me with picking out a transmitter. I have a walkera tx and a futaba tx that turned out to be for airplanes. (A stands for airplane... duh.)

futaba 6EXH
and futaba 7CHP..

and can anyone recommend a place where i can buy them for good price? (>$200 budget)

thanks

zxcvcxz 09-11-2006 11:46 PM

Hi thanks for your input!

i took a look at the DX6 and i'm wondering.. what's the difference between the optic 6 w/ spectra and the DX6 ?
would the DX6 work with my futaba rx? or do i need to get the spektrum rx too which i heard was a bit of a drain on the battery?

ORIGINAL: consultjdm

JD

Hi guys

futaba 6EXH
and futaba 7CHP..

thanks

consultjdm 09-12-2006 10:26 AM

zxcvcxz,

I think the spectra your referring to is a module to select channels in a normal 72MHZ system. the DX6 has no channels to select and operates in the 2.4GHz band, it uses different technology. You can only use it with the DX6 TX. You bind your TX to the RX and then they talk to each other and find open channels to talk to each other. In fact the TX and RX use two channels, one as a back up. each additional RX costs $60. My additional PCM RX's were costing $100. And at $200 you get the TX /RX and 4 servos. I have never used the servo's though, but I heard someone did and they worked good.

I don't notice any drain on the battery. It works great.

Hi thanks for your input!

i took a look at the DX6 and i'm wondering.. what's the difference between the optic 6 w/ spectra and the DX6 ?
would the DX6 work with my futaba rx? or do i need to get the spektrum rx too which i heard was a bit of a drain on the battery?

JD

Hi guys

futaba 6EXH
and futaba 7CHP..

thanks

zxcvcxz 09-12-2006 01:44 PM

okay cool

thanks

RiffRaff 09-12-2006 01:48 PM

I have the 430L and the new align 35A SC and am running the 13T pinion since the set screw on my 11T stripped when I was installing it. I am a prety much a novice flyer. Should I invest in the 11T pinion or should I be fine running the 13T? I plan on getting into areobatics and 3D in time. I am assuming I could get better run times with the 13T?

Where is the best place to purchase a new pinion? What pitch is the gear set?

Thanks

Riff

Street Flyer

When you set the throttle curves in standard mode or idle up mode to say 0,85,85,85 and 85,85,85,85 to give you constant head speed and the throttle stick only really affects pitch then. The governor mode on the ESC helps to recognize the head speed at say 85% and if it notices the head speed slowing during loading (as you push the throttle up and apply pitch to rise) it will give it more power to hold the head speed that you were trying to get through the TX at 85% power.

Of course whether you set it at 85% or 90% across the board depends on the head speed you are trying to get. I suppose somewhere between 2200 and 2500 RPM. Hopefully you can achieve the head speed you want and still be below 100% on the throttle curve so the ESC governor mode can have some power to do what I explained above.

I think with my 430L and Phoenix 35 amp ESC I only need to run at 85% on the curve to achieve 2350 RPM with a 11 tooth pinion and the yellow carbon blades.

I love governor mode. Its much more stable in flight and has much quicker response ( because your already at full head speed) and things like trying to come down are not double or triple jepordy, meaning it is dropping due to pitch and slowing head speed and becoming more unstable. I think it is much easier and controllable coming down to land and doesnt drop like a rock from cutting throttle and giving negative pitch, and since you have full head speed if you are coming down to quick you have pleant of head speed to give it up pitch to pull out of the hard landing.

There may be one down side, if you are down at the ground and crash somehow, instead of the head speed being lowered as you come down it is still at full speed, so a crash may be worse, But I find at low head speed coming down it still does a ton of damage so may as well be at full speed and crash less.

So I say, definately fly in governor mode, and set your start up to soft and of course, brake off. That will give you a nice gentle wind up. Well thats my opinion.

JD

zxcvcxz 09-12-2006 01:50 PM

also, do you know if there's a simulator cable i can buy to use with my reflex simulator?

consultjdm 09-12-2006 03:45 PM

Riff Raff,

I would get the 11T. The heli will have more torque when you load up the head (by increasing pitch) and wont bog, and the motors should be run no lower than 80-85% for best efficiency, you may get to much head speed with the 13T and have to go to 70% max Throttle curve to slow it down.

The people who build all the TREX's at Helihobby use the 11T.
Well, thats what I've heard. I get plenty of head speed at 85% with the 11T.

They sell a set for the align 430L that comes with 3 pinions in it, 11,12 and 13 I think. You have to make sure the pinion fits your shaft size on the 430L.

If you call or email them I know they will tell you the part number.

JD

consultjdm 09-12-2006 03:53 PM

cxcvcxz,

my ReFlex simulator came with a cable for my Hitec Eclipse 7 TX.
I got my package from helihobby.com as you can see they have the package and separate cables.

Part Number Description Stock Price
0060010 Reflex Flight Simulator with Futaba Square connector IN $189.99
0060011 Reflex Flight Simulator with Futaba / Hitec Round connector IN $189.99
0060012 Reflex Flight Simulator with Airtronics connector IN $189.99
0060013 Reflex Flight Simulator with JR connector OUT $189.99
0060014 Reflex Flight Simulator with Airtronics Stylus / Mini Electric connector IN $189.99

Number Description Stock Price
0060020 Replacement Futaba Square cable for Simulator IN $14.99
0060021 Replacement Futaba / Hitec Round cable Simulator IN $14.99
0060022 Replacement Airtronics cable Simulator IN $14.99
0060023 Replacement JR cable Simulator IN $14.99
HRC58315 HRC58315 USB Flight Simulator Interface cable for JR Tx IN $25.99
HRC58318 HRC58318 USB Flight Simulator Interface cable for Hitec / Futaba Tx IN $25.99

Street Flyer 09-15-2006 10:17 PM

Does anybody have a T-rex 450 XL eCCPM V3?

zxcvcxz 09-16-2006 06:00 AM

that cable for your Eclipse works for the DX6 as well?

cxcvcxz,

my ReFlex simulator came with a cable for my Hitec Eclipse 7 TX.
I got my package from helihobby.com as you can see they have the package and separate cables.

Part Number Description Stock Price
0060010 Reflex Flight Simulator with Futaba Square connector IN $189.99
0060011 Reflex Flight Simulator with Futaba / Hitec Round connector IN $189.99
0060012 Reflex Flight Simulator with Airtronics connector IN $189.99
0060013 Reflex Flight Simulator with JR connector OUT $189.99
0060014 Reflex Flight Simulator with Airtronics Stylus / Mini Electric connector IN $189.99

Number Description Stock Price
0060020 Replacement Futaba Square cable for Simulator IN $14.99
0060021 Replacement Futaba / Hitec Round cable Simulator IN $14.99
0060022 Replacement Airtronics cable Simulator IN $14.99
0060023 Replacement JR cable Simulator IN $14.99
HRC58315 HRC58315 USB Flight Simulator Interface cable for JR Tx IN $25.99
HRC58318 HRC58318 USB Flight Simulator Interface cable for Hitec / Futaba Tx IN $25.99

Mato 09-17-2006 02:33 PM

Hi I´m going to buy a 9CAPS Tx only and I was wondering if this Tx will work with my "old" FP-R148DP PCM receiver. Anyone know if this is possible? I´m asking this because I am going to use this "combo" in my T-rex 450SE...

3-DorBUST 09-18-2006 07:01 AM

futaba gy401 issue:

Hi T-rex people!

I haven't posted here before so sorry if I don't do it right...

Anyway, I have a 450xl with hs55's on everything and a futaba gy401 gyro and the RCM-BL420LF stocker brushless motor, Futaba 9Cap Tx (PPM).

This set-up flies MUCH better than any other micro-electric heli I've had. A little under-powered, but will deal with that later.

The ONLY issue I have is that tail servo is not moving in true proportion to the Tx stick movement with the gyro attached. IE: the servo moves 30 degrees with only 1/2 stick travel in both directions (I move the rudder stick 50% to the right,(or left) and the tail servo moves 30 degrees right,(or left) and the other half stick travel does nothing.

I have the limit pot on the gyro pegged (no limiting) also have tried other servo's, with same results.
Have tried adjusting the end-points (ch.4) from 140% to 40% ( which only changes the response speed of the servo.

Any suggestions?

consultjdm 09-18-2006 11:05 AM

3-door,

So, does this cause a problem when you fly it or is it just an observation?

When you in heading hold mode, the rudder will not respond on the bench directly with the stick and it will slide back to full pitch when It sits. however, it should work correctly in flight.

JD

consultjdm 09-18-2006 12:05 PM

ZXCY...,

Wow, I never tried it, I will give it go sometime though. thanks

Mato 09-18-2006 12:17 PM

I just read the manual and the Tx support that receiver.....hehe;)

3-DorBUST 09-18-2006 05:56 PM

It's just an observation, really.

My left thumb does'nt have to move so far, so it's less work!! What the h##$$@ am I complaining for!!?

Am wondering though, has anybody else had this problem?

3-DorBUST 09-18-2006 05:58 PM

That last post was for consultjdm, by the way...

consultjdm 09-18-2006 06:44 PM

3-dorbust

Well Im glad its not causing you a problem.
But I think what you are seeing is normal.

JD

ORIGINAL: 3-DorBUST

That last post was for consultjdm, by the way...

shag555 09-19-2006 05:25 AM

I was at the LHS yesterday trying to decide which TRex I wanted... SE or XL, OR - SA... Seems that the problem is, these things are getting scarce (waiting for another container from the boat maybe???). Anyway, there were three other guys there that are in similar situations / or already been there (going or went from BCP / BCPP) and bought / looking at buying TRex. A couple of the guys that had the TRex already, explained that the SE with aluminum gear WAS the way to go, because the plastic tail and head of the XL tend to break if in a crash, where as, the aluminum head / tail is a little more crash friendly.

These guys are just starting to learn 3D, and I'm just learning to fly (period). I just wonder if the posts I've seen here when talking about crashing the SE are related to 3D, higher impact crashes, than beginner crashes. I hate to spend for all the bling, but I want the carbon frame off the get-go, and it seems that the only way to get one is to buy the SE. I looked in to buying frame kit only, and doing the piece by piece deal, but that's not very economical.

Also, is the digital servo that comes with the 401 Gyro pack too big large??? The LHS said that airtronics makes a nice digital mini that is perfect. He does know his stuff as he's flown helis for many years... But I'm not a fan of Airtronics, then again, if it works, then great!

Any thoughts???

MPB