RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   T-Rex heli (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/)
-   -   Took The Rex Plunge (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/5932125-took-rex-plunge.html)

Synister 06-01-2007 07:26 PM

Took The Rex Plunge

Hi all, decided it was time to get some stick time on a more capable and stable heli than my CP Pro, which has been great for hovering and FF but seems to show its weaknesses when pushed much harder. I bought a 450SA package deal with the 3550kv 430L and 35A esc, along with 3 hs-65's for the swash. Gotta save up more money for Tx, Im thinking of going with the Futaba 6ex 2.4ghz Fasst system, for the money it looks awesome and I dont see any dx7 sold sans servos. Initially I think Im gonna go with my telebee HH gyro, not sure of what servo to put on the tail yet, eventually will likely end up with a 401. Cant wait to get this bird in the air, its quality and performance are lightyears beyond the CP Pro, plus parts are cheaper!!!!....Mostly

HeliTB 06-01-2007 08:48 PM

RE: Took The Rex Plunge

Synister...Good choice of heli. Recommendation: Since you are going to spend $60 on the telebee gyro save $120 more and get the GY401 w/s9650 you won't be sorry. The telebee will only be good for hovering and light forward flight. If you skim on what makes the heli stable and easy to fly, you are more likely to damage your $400 investment from gyro failure rather than pilot error.

soneebee 06-01-2007 09:04 PM

good for you Synister. TREX is a good heli. I would save up for a 401 instead of getting a Telebee then but a Gy401 in the future..

Synister 06-01-2007 09:08 PM

Well, I already have the telebee that im gonna harvest from my Pro so I think that will work while I get used to the Rex. The 401 is def in the picture, as well as the 9650. Just dont have those kinda funds right now...sooon tho!!!

DarkSkunk 06-01-2007 09:14 PM

I'm not sure where you're figuring the parts are cheaper on the T-Rex than the CP (unless I missunderstood). I just barrelled her into the ground and it cost me $300 to repair (bought a new heli all together sadly). I've put my Blade in the ground hundreds of times and I never had a bill like that.

All that complaining aside, you'll love the T-Rex. It flat out scared me the first time it spooled up. Spectacular piece of engineering in my opinion. Good Luck.

ct420 06-01-2007 09:28 PM

DarkSkunk: most of the parts that commonly break/bend in the average crash ARE cheaper for the TREX. Blades, main shafts, feathering shafts, blade grips, etc. Are all cheaper for the REX.

Of course, an extreme crash that takes out things like electronics can get costly very fast...

Woodmandan2 06-02-2007 07:29 AM

Synister, GrandRC sells the DX7 w/0 servos or RX, but actullay i went to my hobby shop and asked to guy if he would sell it without servos, and i guess it was my lucky day! I don't like to go to the big hobby shops, because they won't make any nice deals for ya and most of the time over charge. So my advice is go to the smaller hobby shops. Most of the time they have much better sirvice. And when i say smaller i mean like not a chain, more like a privately owned shop. Sometimes chain hobby shops are ok though.
just my 2 cents
Dan

Synister 06-02-2007 12:26 PM

Yeah, I agree with the small shop thing, I found a great place here in Phoenix that has internet-level pricing on lots of stuff, not to mention awesome parts support for the Rex. I was originally drawn to the DX7 and yes, the servo thing did play a part in me looking at other radios. I really like the 6EX 2.4ghz tho becuause its basically a DX6 on steroids. Its only 6ch but I dont fly anything other than helis, also, unlike the DX6, it is a full-range system and supports a 5 point throttle/pitch curve, the DX6 is only a 3 point. I also really like the price, not that Im trying to cut corners on a radio or anything but Im not certain I NEED everything a DX7 has to offer, especially at that price. Unless I can locate a DX7 for 200 sans servos, I think the Futaba is my cup o tea.

SSG_Stallian 06-07-2007 09:42 AM

I too took the T-REX Plunge. Moved up from the exceed RC eagle 50 (venom night ranger 3d clone) unruly little devil but i can keep it out of the ground now :)
My Setup
T-REX 450 SA [8D]
Align 430L 3550KV Motor
Align 35G ESC
Futaba 6exhp TX
S3107 Servos all around
Align RCE 500X Gyro
Mega Power 2200 MAH 18C Lipo Battery

Havent had it in the air yet as i just got it put together and am having a VERY good heli pilot take a look at it to see what i screwed up. BTW finless bobs setup videos are awesome. my buddy is going to look at the bird tonight so i should have an update later. Woohooo!!! can hardly wait [&:]

stevennh 06-07-2007 07:21 PM

You'll love the SA. I have pretty much the same setup except for HS65HB's on the cyclic (3107 on the tail) and I have the DX6 radio. The three point curves have been good enough for me and I am not too worried about the range issue. The T-Rex is just not big enough to get too far away (at least not under control!). These 2.4GHz radio's rock, not one glitch yet, it's just rock solid. So far I like the 500X Gyro with the 3107 servo, the tail is very steady. I traded up from a Falcon-3d, what a difference! My 3550 motor never even gets warm with a 13T pinion (but the 15C 2100MAh battery does!).

Steve

jesztir 06-08-2007 05:51 AM

I too just took the plunge. 450S CF and got a helluva deal from readyheli.com. Got it in the mail Monday...it's all I've been doing all week:D. Stepped up from an AXE CP cause I was just plain tired of that damn little demon doin whatever the hell it wanted. Good for learning to hover though with such a touchy thing. Man, with the Rex, it's all just so smooooooth! Amazing! Even the wife was in awe! I too have the 6EX SS. Great little radio IMO, very locked in feel.

Richkid241 06-16-2007 08:54 AM

i took the plung at a super deal from mzs6 for 200 and no shipping.all i had to get was ball ends and electronics.i got the hitech optic 6 with the spectra module so i can use most any rx. got the 500 gyro and servo off ebay for around 50 and 4 new 55's for everting else for now just waiting on the ball end and rx and it'll be ready to go.definetly a much better looking bird can't wait to fly it hopefully parts will be in today also ordered a case for it too cool.wish i had got it from the begining instead of fooling with walkera's 52 and 68b.now i love the cx2 for indoors but who likes to stay indoors.

ken3148 06-16-2007 11:15 PM

i took the t rex plunge with the new se v2 and have a 401 with 9650 but the servos for the swash i bought wont work. im runing a futaba 8uap pcm transmitter and 8 chanel pcm reciever.

diverjack 06-19-2007 12:46 AM

I also took the T-Rex plunge! I've had enough of my Blade CP Pro. I pick up the new bird this Wednesday. Got a great package deal, too. Package is the T-Rex SA, all Align servos (for now),
Align gyro (for now), all the electrics, battery charger with balancer, 2100 mah 20C LiPo,
DX6 Tx......and he even threw in a couple of hex drivers! :) All this for $700 Canadian.
Works for me! I can't wait to get it built and in the air! I've heard nothing but good things about this model.

matador_24 06-19-2007 10:00 AM

Hi guys, I have seen many deals on internet selling the T-rex with the 500X Gyro.... is it good????

Synister 06-19-2007 06:18 PM

The predominent school of thought is that the Futaba 401 gyro mated to a 9650 tail servo is the rock of salvation for all tail woes. Personally I really like the logictech 2100t gyro, its a smidge cheaper but seems to have a couple cooler features, no argument tho about the 9650. That having been said, if all you are doing is learning to hover and fly gentle figure 8s, then an align gyro would be ok, along with a fast tail servo as well. Much more than that and you will be constantly fooling around with the tail rather than flying. Basically, those deals are pretty good, just know that at some point you will have to upgrade the gyro and servo for better performance.

stevennh 06-20-2007 06:47 AM

Matador_24,

I have the 500X gyro on my SA with a Futaba 3107 servo. It holds very well for me. I am just doing hover and FF (mostly slow forward flight) but have not had any tail tracking problems even when the wind kicks up. For the price, it seems to work very well.

Steve

johnnychimpo 06-20-2007 02:44 PM

Welcome!:D

matador_24 06-21-2007 11:32 AM

I see....... so, I can't do loops or some 3d with the 500x gyro????? and I do need a digital servo for it???? or I just can but it's more risky?????? Hey, let's say I buy a nitro .50 after, can I transfer the 500x gyro to it????? I would use it just to hover because I don't want to kill anybody trying to do 3d with a nitro, I know it can be a letal weapon in my hands, lol.

Synister 06-21-2007 06:06 PM

The 500 gyro is a basic HH gyro, I doubt it would work very well on the nitro heli and you would be hard pressed to do anything serious with it on your Trex. As for the servo question, i dont think the 500 gyro is digital so running a digital servo on it is kinda like driving a ferrari through a school zone, way more capable than you could possible use. Digital servos really come into their own when run on a digital gryo, like the 401 or logictech2100t, they have the capability to send a lot more data yet can also be switched over to analog mode should the need arise so as not to burn out standard servos. Basically, and it was hard for me to accept too, just pony up the money and get a solid tail system. i was running a telebee HH gyro on my Trex for a while and it was only a little better than my cp pro, the new setup is much much better. Why spend $500+ on a precision flying machine only to cripple it at its most crucial control surface? my .02