Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

OS20 Four Stroke info for Texaco

Old 10-08-2006, 07:11 PM
AllanK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS20 Four Stroke info for Texaco

Hi I'm going to use an OS20FS in my new Texaco model. I need 10 minutes from 14cc of fuel.
Anyone got any experience at doing this??? What prop, fuel and RPM are recomended??? Model is a Lancer at 59 inch span about 500 sq in and 44 OZs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57582.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	537339  
Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS20 Four Stroke info for Texaco

I use an OS FS20 in my Zephyr. The model looks a little similar to yours.

With 100ml I get about 20 minutes at full trottle and 45 minutes cruising around.

My fuel is 18% oil 10% nitro. Prop is 9x5 APC (10500 rpm).

Sorry for the metric unit but I dont want to make any mistake.

Name:	Zx71140.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	538557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28364.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	538558  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM
AllanK

Thank you for the reply.
OK that translates to 2.8 minutes on my 14cc tank. We use the same fuel.
I'm getting 3 minutes on a 9x6 at about 9,300.
All ties up.
Your 45 minutes sounds very encouraging coz that relates to 6.5 minutes which would be great.
I'm planning to fly a 11.5 x 5 Bollie that is running 5 minutes at half throttle which should haul me to 1000 feet in that time leaving 5 minutes of glide for the 10 minute target.
I'll let you know if and when the wind eases up here in our Spring and I can get the first flights in.
Allan.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 PM
AllanK

I like the look of the zephyr. Can you tell me about it.
I take it that it is vintage? Waht year? Plan or Kit? How big etc.
Cheers
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Stoneweapon

The Zephyr is a ARF Model, which was in the Ripmax program a few years ago. It was a Speed 400 slowflyer. I had the FS20 and was looking for a model that fits. Since everyone was attracted by the shockflyers I got the Zephyr cheap from a model store. I think it was 2002.

The wingspan is about 150 cm. I can not tell the exact weight but it should be around 1200g without the ski. They weight about 250g aditionally but the plane still flies very good. Touch and go's are very sweet with skis.
In summer setup the climb angle is about 45°. With the skis the plane must be flown a little faster to produce the extra ascending force. It flies more like a small trainer with them.

My Zephyr is one of my cheapest models but it gives me a lot of fun.
I use it like a motor glider or a slow flyer. It doesn't need much thermal to climb with the engine in idle. It has a very good glide angle which is comparable to a 150cm Electric glider which is a little on the heavy side.
My absolute record with one tank was 1h30min with the engine running for about 1h10min.
Once I pulled a little HLG with the Zephyr. This is only possible with low winds and a good HLG pilot. Was a lot of fun.

Your Texaco looks wery good. I think the Zephyr was made with those vintages in mind. The aerodynamics of these models seem to be very good if I look at the results of my Zephyr.

I would recommend that you try a bigger tank and fly it like a motor glider. The FS20 idles extreamely depandable and quiet.
I use castor oil but there is no residue of oil except on the exhaust pipe.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 PM
AllanK

OK, good match here too. Zephyr and Lancer are near enough same weight and same span so your run times will be relevant. That one hour 30 time would be 12.5 minutes on my tank and that would be ideal against the 10 minute larget. I assume this was almost all at idle and in lift much of the time?
Good to hear that the idle is reliable. I really like this little motor. It starts and handles well and is quiet on low settings as you say. I had a breif first flight last night but it was too windy. Flew very well and handled nicely. Got it down OK but have issues with aileron servos I need to fix before flying again. Model climbed very fast on half throttle. 6000 rpm on a 10x6 APC. Nice axial rolls and loops (although that is not what it is for!). Have a feeling I can cut at least a 1000rpm off this and still have a positive climb which can only help run time.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 PM
AllanK

I have finally got some calmish weather so the Lancer has had a good shake down. I need not have worried about performance. The model does the task easy. the three simulated contest flights went some thing like. 19 minutes, 16 minutes and 13 minutes although I deliberately spun down from height on the last one. The OS20 is running very nicely. I set just 5,400 RPM on a 10 x 6 APC and it is running 7 to 8 minutes and still climbing like a homesick angel! 7 minutes sees it up to the maximum height I feel comfortable with. Maybe a 1000 feet. Haven't LOLOed it yet to measure climb and sink rates.
Sink seems pretty good and it thermals OK too.
Thanks for the interest and advice

Allan in New Zealand.

Name:	Sp45518.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	546828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99163.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	546829  
Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Stoneweapon

I did not expect that the FS20 can handle such a big prop. This engine surprises me again.
Since my FS20 has plenty of running hours with a 9x5 you can expect that yours will live for ever.
My experience with the ringed OS 4-Strokes is that only a crash or rust can kill them.

I wish you many happy flight with this great combination of model and engine.