Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

O.S. .46FX with Zinger 12x5

Old 10-14-2006, 05:40 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. .46FX with Zinger 12x5

I'm flying an O.S. .46FX in a Hangar 9 Pulse XT. Using Omega 15%, O.S. A3 plug, Zinger 12x5 prop. Ambient temp about 42*F. I was getting 10300 peak and flying at about 9900-10000. Idle was about 2500-3000. This seams pretty low like maybe the 12x5 is too much prop. Any opinions? I have some 12x4 APC props coming to try to see if I can get some more RPM out of her. Also, is the idle about right? or can I go a bit lower?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:37 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: O.S. .46FX with Zinger 12x5

12-4 apc will most definately give you more rews as Zinger seems to give low numbers. I think on the apc 12-4 you should be able to bring the idle down to about 2000 rpm. Have you removed the baffle in the muffler yet? If not I will advice you to do so, it will give you between 200-400 more rpm`s
Old 10-15-2006, 05:54 AM
AKFireMedic

Thanks for the advice. I haven't removed the baffle yet since I honestly like how quiet she is right now. I'll try the APC when it comes and see if I can get a reasonable RPM out of it then. IF not, I can always remove the baffle later. I should mention that the plane flies just fine right now...it seems a bit slow in the acceleration department but otherwise it flies fine.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 PM
AKFireMedic

OK, tried it with the 12x4 APC today and it is a totally different airplane. I;m still not sure if it's a good different or a bad different but it is definitely different! I was getting 12500-12700 peak out of it with the same combo as before running the APC. It'll idle down to 2200 or so fairly comfortably as well. the APC is heavier but seems to spool up faster to about 2/3RPM then it takes a bit to get going. One thing I noticed is that the APC wants a little more throttle to fly the airplane but the tail surfaces seem to get more air at close to idle throttle settings making for some interesting low speed low to the ground stuff untill I got used to it. I'll report back when I have more flights on the new setup.