Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

Taipan 15 rear exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Bone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taipan 15 rear exhaust

Yes, not a current production engine (circa 1972) but still a very cool looking engine.

Home brew fuel: 70% methanol, 10% nitro & 20% castor oil = RPM 16,680 on an APC 7 x 4 prop

Not bad for a 36 year old engine I found in a pawn store for $25 [8D]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80408.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	992223  
Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Taipan 15 rear exhaust

Well you certainly had a win there...$25!!!!

I have two of these, one is the same vintage as yours (alloy backplate) and that's been used in a CL combat plane and my son also used it to (over)power a glider. The second one I have is the later RC version with the plastic backplate and internal mods but that's unrun. [link=http://www.modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/t25bbre_rev.jpg]Here's[/link] a partial engine report on one. Note that they were the equal to the K&B 15 and ST G15 of the time. Of some interest is that they were the inspiration for the Cox Conquest 15 and I believe the piston/liner is interchangeable with the Rossi 15. Just for laughs, give it a try on 40% nitro...apparently that's when they really start going .
Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Bone

Thanks Brian for the info & the link.

As it turns out, I have obtained 4 of these Taipans over recent years. Two being CL & the other two with RC carbs (one being NIB). Tempting perhaps to try the 40% nitro in one of the CL versions......[8D]

For the record, I obtained the one pictured for $25 at a Cash Converters Store in Woden ACT. Oh, what a great day that was !
Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 AM
mike109

G'day Way back about 1976 I used to use one of these in my brother's combat models. I used a Super Tigre G15 in the main model and the Taipan was in the backup model. I suspect we used props that were too large to really get them spinning but on one infamous occasion, both engines were accidently fueled with 100% nitro. No oil, no methanol - just nitro. The G15 blew its plug when I tried to start it and so I reached for the backup Taipan. It started but was really lean so I wound the needle out about 2 full turns and let the model to. WOW - it went like a blur. Little brother got several quick cuts but after about one minute the Taipan seized. By this time I had a new plug in the G15 and when it started I just let it go without any attempt at tuning. It ran for about a minute also until it threw a blade off the Topflite 7x6 nylon prop. This resulted in the total internal destruction of the Solafilm covered model and reduced it to a plastic bag full of smashed balsa. After things cooled down, the Taipan felt OK but a bit on the loose side and I sold it for parts. The G15 recovered well and I still have it. I bought another Taipan 15 Gold Head about two years ago but have not used it. I may just put it in a small RC model to see how it goes. But not on 100% nitro.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 AM
Bone

Mike, what a fascinating story - the RPM of both those engines on 100% nitro must have be quite impressive

I will put an RC carb on my Taipan & power a yet to be designed hand launched (ie no undercarriage) shoulder wing design with suitable streamlining to compliment the rear exhaust pipe. Perhaps something vaguely along the lines of the Honker that appeared in RCM about 1976. A tapered wing, built lightly using today's small servos & I should have something akin to a little rocket ship.

Should be a hoot but definately no 100% nitro fuel. I'll be happy to settle on 20% [8D]