Notices
Tactic & AnyLink Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about AnyLink and Tactic systems here and get answers direct from their team.

Flyzone Calypso ESC

Old 06-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flyzone Calypso ESC

I'm posting this here because I believe that the ESC is a Tactic BL18. I've written two different techs at Tower Hobbies, One at Horizon, and one at Flyzone asking for programming directions. NONE has seen fit to answer me after over a week! In any event, I BELIEVE I found the correct programming instructions even though it's labeled for a 20 amp ESC.

I had my first flight of the Calypso today using the Tactic 650 transmitter and a Tactic single antenna receiver. I set the throttle according to the directions a number of times. What I found today was that when I went to do a range check and turned the transmitter RF to OFF, the motor went to full throttle. Thank heavens someone was holding the plane! Since then I have tried to reverse the motor channel (3) but that doesn't work. Actually, the instructions were so bad that when you go to set control throws, you hear the ESC go into programming mode with the throttle at zero! It is not until the END of the instructions that they walk you through the throttle setup and that's where you find out that you must REV the #3 servo setup in the transmitter! No where do the instructions warn you about this.

So my question is "why does my ESC go to full throttle if I turn off my transmitter when the ESC instructions say that it will fail safe at zero throttle?" This obviously is a very dangerous, serious problem if, after a flight, you accidentally turn off your transmitter first.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ESC that comes with the Calypso is not a Tactic BL-18 ESC. They are not made by the same manufacturer.

First off, you need to make sure that the ESC will go to low throttle or off when you move the throttle stick to the idle position. You then program the failsafe with the throttle in that
position. You set the failsafe in the receiver by following the directions on page 37 of the transmitter's instruction manual.

Here's the link to the ESC's programming instructions:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/flz/flza3000-tech.pdf
Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. On some of the other Flyzone plane instructions, I discovered a BOLD warning concerning the possibility of the throttle going to full power on signal loss. Since the Calypso requires that the Tactic radio's channel 3 be reversed for proper throttle control, you would think that, first, the instructions would warn the customer of what to do when he/she hears the programming sounds at the zero throttle position. Secondly, when you finally get to the section concerning throttle adjustment setup, the receiver is already bound to the transmitter and, without a suitable warning, how would you know to bind it AGAIN? You won't find out you have a problem until, like me, you lose signal from the transmitter. If I were Tower Hobbies/Hobbico/Flyzone, I would get the warning put into the plane's instruction manual ASAP.
I also did say that I flew the plane successfully so I obviously had the throttle positions correct. Just a little annoyed to read all the glowing reviews about the Calypso yet this glaring mistake/omission concerning loss of signal is alarming. I wonder how many of these Calypso owners know they have a ticking time bomb on their hands.