Notices
Tactic & AnyLink Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about AnyLink and Tactic systems here and get answers direct from their team.

TTX850 and TR825 Flakiness

Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTX850 and TR825 Flakiness

I've had the TTX850 since last November and have flown dozens of flights using both the single and dual antennae receivers with little issue. Occasional dropped radio signals with a single antennae (as indicated by the failsafe engaging momentarily) but solid connection with the dual antennae setup. Until now..... I have a Zorro Wing (Twisted Hobbies) where the receiver will get a "bad connection" (red light flashing) and servo to stick movement is glitchy. I've demonstrated this on the ground (but cannot figure out what triggers it).. I have experienced it several times in the air following a hand launch. Really disconcerting and a safety hazard as I'm barely able to keep the model in control. Very slow response to stick movement. Then the issue corrects itself and control is solid.

Yesterday, I was powering up the model on the ground and at full throttle, things got erratic, I turned the wing upside down (so I could see the receiver) and the red light was blinking. Control surface to stick movement was jerky as I have experienced in the air. I lowered the throttle (to off) and the light eventually (after a couple seconds) turned solid red and control was regained.

Not sure what is going on. Saw a post on RCGroups (here) that very closely describes my situation. I really need to sort this out or I'm afraid I'm going to have to sell this radio and half a dozen receivers. The situation does not happen every time I fly the wing but it does happen nearly every flight. Thoughts?

Doug
Old 09-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We'd not know the specific difficulty. Does it happen with every receiver or just the one? Have you tried different antenna orientations? How do you have the antenna on the transmitter positioned? When you move the position of the transmitter antenna, do you find the receiver loses its link? It may be something like that. We can easily fix something like that. You may want to send the equipment in to the service center to be checked out.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 AM

I'll send some pictures of my setup this evening. I've flown this model exclusively with the TTX850 and had flown dozens of flights with a single antenna TTR624 receiver without issue. I had a high speed crash of the model (because I had the wrong model selected) and started seeing this issue when using the TTR624 receiver. Happened a couple times following hand launch, provide stick input to turn and very sluggish model response. Eventually control was regained and the remainder of the flight was without incident. I changed to a TTR825 receiver because myself and another Tactic user would experience dropouts (failsafe engage) when using the 850 and a single antennae receiver. Would happen across models (occasionally).

That said, I've never experienced this lack of responsiveness in any of my other models. I'm thinking there could be latent damage in the ESC from the crash that might be inducing noise on the receiver/throttle lead? Prior to the crash, I had flown dozens of fights without this behavior. The 825 receiver is new and was not involved in the crash. Doesn't exhibit the behavior every flight and when it does it is always in the first minute after hand launch. So, I'm thinking the radio connection isn't firmly established from the start? The receiver is on the underside of the wing so I'm not observing the red link light each time. Wondering if a new ESC would fix my problem.

All of this might not be very helpful.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:19 AM

Here are some pictures of the setup. One antenna exits the top of the wing and the other exits on the bottom. Good separation and they are roughly 90 degrees to each other.
Attached Thumbnails ZorroWingReceiverConfig2.pdf  
Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 AM
Bax

We can't see much from the pictures. Their resolution is too poor.

When the receiver antennas are 90-degrees apart, the can be in a "V", one up or down-one to the side, one forward-one up or down, one forward or rearward and one to the side. If you have the metal ends at 90-degrees to each other, you should be good. That's the only part that's important, the rest of it is a coaxial cable to the bared antenna wire.

A bad ESC can cause problems with either voltage or feedback in the signal wire. The only way to find out is to try a different one.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure my comments will be welcome here but I can think of one more possibility for the erratic operation. If the battery has deteriorated (increased in internal resistance) or if the wiring between the battery and receiver (include switch if one is used) had built up some corrosion it might cause this. Easy check, use different battery and ESC and see if the problem still persists.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Bax

Thanks Rodney. That's a useful addition!
Old 12-18-2016, 04:22 AM

Bax, wanted you to know that I did replace the ESC and I have not experienced the problem since. I'm still cautious but I think my ESC was the issue.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Bax

As I mentioned, the ESC can be a source of radio "problems".