Notices
Tactic & AnyLink Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about AnyLink and Tactic systems here and get answers direct from their team.

Aileron not going up all the way and clicking

Old 05-27-2023, 04:46 PM
Rams9361

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron not going up all the way and clicking

Why is my aileron doing this clicking? It maxes out one way and makes a clicking sound. I cannot go fully up. It gets to a certain point and then just starts moving back and forth really fast
Old 05-27-2023, 06:23 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Not knowing any more details, including your level of experience, I will start with the first questions that come to mind:

1) Was it working normally previously, then just started doing this problem out of the blue, or did you recently crash or change anything?

2) Are your transmitter and receiver batteries charged?

3) When you disconnect that aileron pushrod from the control horn, and deflect the aileron fully in both directions by hand, is there any binding or does it hang up at any point?

4) Any chance you inadvertently reversed a servo or switched to a different model in your transmitter? Make any recent programming changes in your transmitter?
Old 05-27-2023, 08:23 PM
Rams9361

Originally Posted by Outrider6
Not knowing any more details, including your level of experience, I will start with the first questions that come to mind:

1) Was it working normally previously, then just started doing this problem out of the blue, or did you recently crash or change anything?

2) Are your transmitter and receiver batteries charged?

3) When you disconnect that aileron pushrod from the control horn, and deflect the aileron fully in both directions by hand, is there any binding or does it hang up at any point?

4) Any chance you inadvertently reversed a servo or switched to a different model in your transmitter? Make any recent programming changes in your transmitter?
yes there’s problems with the aileron because at a certain point there’s a dead spot in the servo
Old 05-28-2023, 04:34 AM
Outrider6

Originally Posted by Rams9361
yes there’s problems with the aileron because at a certain point there’s a dead spot in the servo
I'm just trying to help. Yes - I am aware there is a problem with the aileron operation. Because I do not know you or your plane, I am trying to figure out (with information from you) if it is the servo itself, low battery, aileron hinge(s), control linkage geometry, or maybe something else. If you will answer each of the questions, then we can start narrowing down what may be causing the problem.

If you have a defective (from age, crash damage, faulty manufacturing, etc.) servo, then it needs to be replaced, and the problem will be solved. If anything else is causing the problem, then whatever it is must be first identified, then corrected.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:45 AM
Rams9361

Okay so I know it’s not the battery, hinge, or linkage. The only reasonable thing I can come up with is the servo. The landing where the issue started to happen was not particularly rough either. I’ve been looking around and some people call this issue a flutter maybe. I’m very new to this hobby. This is my second plane and I’m just learning how to fly. I’m not going to lie it’s had some rough landings.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:12 AM
Outrider6

If someone who had experience and understood models could look at your plane, I bet they would identify the problem within minutes. People here can only guess and point you in the right direction to investigate.

The problem very well could have been caused by flutter, which is often caused by sloppy control connections (pushrods, hinges, etc.). When you go fast, the severe vibration problem called flutter starts, and often destroys parts before you can land safely and correct what caused it. You will often hear flutter when it happens.

If you swap out that servo with another one, and the aileron works fine, then you know that the first servo must be replaced. Then you need to try to find out if flutter wrecked the servo, if it was a manufacturing defect, or just old and worn out. If the problem stems from the plane, and it isn't corrected, then the replacement servo will likely fail as well. Everything in your control linkage system needs to be solid and tight, with minimal slop.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:42 PM
tedsander

Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Outrider6 makes some good observations. Since you are leaning heavily toward the servo being the issue, undo the linkage to the control surface. With it still connected to the receiver, and an arm on it, use your fingers to give it a little resistance to push/pull against and have it move via the TX controls. If it behaves well, and you cannot get it to click, it might not be the issue. Try swapping a servo from another control into that location, fully hooked up. If there is still clicking, then it is something else with the linkages, horns, hinges or other items he mentioned. If in the first test, you can get the servo to click without it otherwise connected to the plane, you found the bad item. If a better brand, you may be able to find a gear set, and replace it inside the servo (likely a broken gear). Or just replace with new.

What caused it? A harder question - a rough landing, a hit to the control surface as you carried the model through a door way, A cheaply built servo. Or flutter - but generally flutter makes itself known in flight by making a loud buzzing noise, especially in fast flight (like a dive). Not always, but often enough that you likely would have noticed. If this is a better model, set up per instructions, very unlikely it is prone to flutter. All bets are off if it is inexpensive, with less quality control and poorer components supplied.

What plane, and what servos are in it? As he pointed out, the more specific information we can get, the better we can diagnose the problem, Right now, we're just giving generic "maybe" answers.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:44 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like it may have a stripped gear in the servo,some brands sell gear sets, others just need replaced. unscrew the 4 screws from the bottom and carefully lift off the top to check, I'll bet one good has a spot that is missing teeth