Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

My Clodbuster project...FINALLY!!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Scottgir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Clodbuster project...FINALLY!!

Not sure this really deserves a “build” thread but someone said I should put it up so I am.

I’ve always wanted a Clodbuster and when I was a teen, I just couldn’t afford it while racing my Turbo Optima and JRX2. Well I’ve gotten back into the hobby and the Clodbuster worked it’s way back onto my “Must Have” lists.

Now the Clodbuster living on my Must Have list versus actually sitting in my work area was a different story. I make a heck of a lot more money than when I was a teenager but I also have 3 kids, one of which just became a teenager so college isn’t too far off. So my “expendable” money is probably about the same. LOL.

So after many fruitless classified searches and Ebay bids, I finally decided to build up a Clodbuster from different trades/purchases. I’m actually quite happy with the outcome. I’m still planning some more mods, I have bearings on order and I want to install better motors.

So first I traded with a good reliable guy I know for the Super Clod chassis, T-Maxx tires, 1/8 scale piggyback shocks, an EVX esc and some spare parts

Next I found a GREAT buy on Ebay for axles and motors and also another Great deal on integy 14mm adapters in order to use the T-Maxx tires.

Lastly I made a trade and landed the body, a Hitec 5645 servo and the lighting gear

The first thing that popped out was visual. I see lots of blue and red so I decided right away that I’m going to do a US Flag theme.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Scottgir

Default RE: My Clodbuster project...FINALLY!!

Assembly was pretty straight forward. I tore down the axles, cleaned and greased and reassembled.

I had to make a steering system because I didn’t have the original servo mount or any of the steering linkages. Off to Lowes I went, $1 for a 1 foot piece of 6-32 threaded rod and I had extra heavy duty ball links. Just had to cut about 1” off the rod and adjust the lengths. I also used 1 Kyosho Big Brute servo mount and 1 regular servo mount to raise up the servo enough and tap one hole through the chassis.

The shocks went on and gives the Clod really nice ground clearance as well as a nice soft controlled ride.

I installed the Cougar 2.4ghz radio, the EVX and twin Chameleons at first. Because the Chameleons are fixed timing, I had to go back to the stock motors. (Hence why motors are on my list and this picture is showing an old Traxxas rx but still).

Last but not least was the body. I took off all the hardware. Sanded down the body, primed it. I ordered some nice US Flag flame decals with the nice saying “The Only Colors That Don’t Run!”. Was trying to decide on the color scheme. It was either white or silver. Decided on silver with a red bed to avoid it looking too much like a Kyosho USA-1. Threw in a flag in the back just for that extra flare. Only thing left to do on the body is to get my hands on a light bar and rear bumper.

And the final product (at this stage LOL)

Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

That looks great

Now we just need some running video

Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Scottgir

Yeah. She's begging to get a little off road action!!