Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

C.P.E. terminator

Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C.P.E. terminator

i always wanted a clodbuster when i was a kid, so this past june i got one for my 36th bday.
i tried to keep it stock, really i did. lol i just couldn't do it, i HAD to mod it.
i looked at so many chassis kits, it's mind boggling how many chassis kits are available for it.
back in the day i remember clod'zilla's being the be all end all of clod upgrades....not any more.
i was pretty sold on the thundertech ripper but they were always out of stock.
then i found clodtalk.com and crawford performance engineering. brett, the owner of C.P.E. is a hell of a guy, always answers the phone, very helpfull both on the phone and on the forums.
i drooled all over my screen over the terminator race chassis. i had to have one.
so i saved up a few pennies and made the purchase.

i went with C.P.E.'s alloy version of the terminator chassis. i like the look of aluminum on the truck over carbon fiber.
i ended up purchasing the complete kit which includes:

alloy terminator chassis w/machined lower links (awesome!)
rear steering lockout (way cooler then most comapnies lock out, there are no linkages, just blocks that go between the hub and the knuckle, really clean!)
BTA (behind the axel) steering kit
sway bars
shock mounts
body mounts
servo mount

in addition i got:

inner axel stiffeners
2" wheel wideners

the kit went together very smoothly, no fitting or grinding needed. everything fits perfectly. the build quality is insane.
the truck is now 3" longer and 2" wider then stock. it's so stable and has an awesome "stance".

now for the pics:

the body is temporary, it came on a blackfoot i got a while back. new body is on it's way for xmas.
the shocks on it now are 80mm yeah racing shocks, they are actually pretty nice for a cheap shock. i have a set of 100mm on order, but i may actually race on the 80's.
the esc is tamiya's teu-103bk dual motor esc, and it's still got silver cans for now. i have the esc and receiverin a bag so i can run in the snow without killing the electronics
i'm going to run the electronics as is for a while @ 11.1volts, that should wake up those silver cans.
i'm planning on running dual brushless 9t ezruns in the future.
a set of imex pullers will be the next set of tires.
i'm going to remove the steering stops and machine out the back of the hubs to increase steering.
as it sits now i get over 1/2 hour of run time on a 2s 5000mah battery.

i hope to enter the truck in next years rc monster truck challenge.

we got some snow this week and my entire neighborhood is now covered in clod tracks, it's a blast and indestructable.

i love this thing!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 PM
OddsNEnds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C.P.E. terminator

Haha! What a story! Awesome! Love the fact that stock only lasted so long and you were off to begin modding.

CPE is a great company, I got a few parts on my clod myself. But, since I already had an XtremeRC CF2 chassis on it I have never looked to change my chassis. CPE or TTR would have been my next choice thou.

Man, those ezrun motors will make your clod fly! Invest in some adjustable motor mounts to change the pinion to a larger one if you go brushless. The clod will top out real fast and pull insane wheel stands without a pinion change. Those wheel stands will be detrimental to your body and who knows what else.

Good luck man, have fun and keep us informed.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 AM
kaiser01

thanksfor the advice.

in the meantime i bolted a pair of black can sport tuneds in there, woke it up a bit. we got 15" of snow over the past couple of days, a bit too much for the clod.
i did have a blast with it during the first few hours of snow.

i've been abusing the heck out of it ad nothing has broken, pretty solid build for sure.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 AM
kaiser01

update: new body, shaved tires and most of all twin hw 8.5t 60amp ezruns!

the suspension is awesome, no wheelies. it just squats hard and takes off. i'm pretty happy with the way this beast turned out.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
The Mad Modder

The new body looks good. The older blue one looked kinda small for it.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 AM
kaiser01

thanks mad modder. the blue body was off a used blackfoot. just something to toss on there while i waited for this one to come in.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM
02f350psd
My Feedback: (3)

How is this truck for bashing? Trying to decide on this chassis vs. clodzilla iv vs. tube chassis. How is the articulation and crawling ability? Are you running stock open diffs or locked?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 AM
kaiser01

the truck is amazing. it's an awesome racer, great basher and decent crawler. but it's not meant for crawling.

it has a very low center of gravity, unlike the the clodzilla's. this truck does not want to flip over, the 2" wheel widener kit is to thank for that along with the chassis.