Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

Clod buster question ECS and Motors

Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
badassbanshe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clod buster question ECS and Motors

I am looking to upgrade the speed controler. Wondering what to use? Also want to upgrade the motors. I am looking to get longer run time and more speed. What should I use. I have looked at the EVX ecs because it can run double motors and two batteries. Whould this be a good choice? Dont know what motors to run either. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Clod buster question ECS and Motors

ORIGINAL: badassbanshe

I am looking to upgrade the speed controler. Wondering what to use? Also want to upgrade the motors. I am looking to get longer run time and more speed. What should I use. I have looked at the EVX ecs because it can run double motors and two batteries. Whould this be a good choice? Dont know what motors to run either. Any ideas?
The cheapest way to speed up your clod would be to get some faster brushed motors. However that would give you less of a run time. Using an ESC instead of a manual one would give a little better run time since no energy is wasted on a resistor. I don't own an evx, but I use a HPI GT ESC in my TXT-1 with good results, it will handle dual motor, dual batteries. Running a high voltage system with two batteries would give you more speed, but shorter run times. If you got a stock brushless system(actually two, since you need two motors), you could get more speed and run time ,but it would cost more to buy.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
weathervane

I know this is an old tread. I do have a question though.

I want to up grade my Clod with a new ESC as well. Is there a good ESC that I can run both motores with? I am not looking to run two batteries. I'm not looking for a lot of speed or long run times. ( my son does not need all that yet) I just want to up grade from the old mech esc.

Can anyone recomend the right servo for the steering? I am guessing high tork. Metal gears? This is a very old and very stock Clod Buster.
Thanks for the help,
-Andrew
Old 02-11-2012, 05:28 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: weathervane

I want to up grade my Clod with a new ESC as well. Is there a good ESC that I can run both motores with? I am not looking to run two batteries. I'm not looking for a lot of speed or long run times. ( my son does not need all that yet) I just want to up grade from the old mech esc.

Can anyone recomend the right servo for the steering? I am guessing high tork. Metal gears? This is a very old and very stock Clod Buster.
Thanks for the help,
-Andrew
Sorry for answering this so late(this forum doesn't get much traffic).
You could...
a. Get a esc made for dual motor dual batteries. I know that at least HPI's GT esc(for the e-savage) and traxxas's evx2 esc can be run on a single pack if the battery plug that isn't used has the red and black wires connected.
b. Get a esc made for single motor and battery and wire it for dual motors. It has to be ale to handle the amp draw, though. The rule of thumb is if you are running 2 motors, divide the turn rating in half and that's what you need an esc rated for. Two 20t motors need an esc capable of running a 10t or lower turn motor.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
weathervane

Ok, great. that is what I needed to know. All I need to do is find the number of turns for a stock motor. Then I will know what to get for it.
Thank you for the help,
-Andrew

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: weathervane

Thanks for the help,
-Andrew
Sorry for answering this so late(this forum doesn't get much traffic).
You could...
a. Get a esc made for dual motor dual batteries. I know that at least HPI's GT esc(for the e-savage) and traxxas's evx2 esc can be run on a single pack if the battery plug that isn't used has the red and black wires connected.
b. Get a esc made for single motor and battery and wire it for dual motors. It has to be ale to handle the amp draw, though. The rule of thumb is if you are running 2 motors, divide the turn rating in half and that's what you need an esc rated for. Two 20t motors need an esc capable of running a 10t or lower turn motor.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
The Mad Modder

Glad to help.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
ElectricGuy007

I got DUAL HPI FIREBOLT 15T motors in my Bullhead. My ESC can also handle it apparently.
My ESC goes down to 5 turns for a single motor. After about 10 mins it's barley warm.
I assume it will be faster than stock anyways.