Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

Clod Buster question

Old 11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
venomgts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clod Buster question

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Clod Buster from almost 30 years ago when I was a kid. It's been from closet to closet since I was a kid and has gotten pretty beaten up. My children are quite excited about the truck, so I'm rebuilding it now.
My question is this, When I push the throttle the gear boxes rotate stightly and when I let off they rotate back. Is it supposed to do that?? I don't remember it as a kid, but it doesn't seem right.
Any idea's or advice?
Thanks
Colin
Old 11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Clod Buster question

ORIGINAL: venomgts

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Clod Buster from almost 30 years ago when I was a kid. It's been from closet to closet since I was a kid and has gotten pretty beaten up. My children are quite excited about the truck, so I'm rebuilding it now.
My question is this, When I push the throttle the gear boxes rotate slightly and when I let off they rotate back. Is it supposed to do that?? I don't remember it as a kid, but it doesn't seem right.
Any idea's or advice?
Thanks
Colin
Yes, that's how it is stock. It's only natural that the axles/gearboxes try to rotate in the opposite direction the wheels are turning. It's part of the physics of the drive-train. You could upgrade the suspension to a 4 link system(which would eliminate the play in the suspension and help articulation), but I'd hold off on that until you do some more research on what involved.

If you are interested in upgrading to 4 link suspension, the links can be found in the link below. Below that one is a thread about what's involved installing it.
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...&products_id=5
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiy...tock-clod.html
Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
venomgts

Great! Thank you for your help!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 PM
The Mad Modder

Glad to help.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 PM
PlatinumZJ5.9

Does anyone make a bolt up kit using the stock axles and frame but using longer arms to extend the wheel base a little bit? 
Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: PlatinumZJ5.9

Does anyone make a bolt up kit using the stock axles and frame but using longer arms to extend the wheel base a little bit?
You mean with stockish plastic arms? I don't know of anything like that. You'd probably have to use a 4 link setup, which would require some modifications to the axle.