Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

1985 Tamiya Bruiser project

Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Dmon1996

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Tamiya Bruiser project

I recently got hold of an original Bruiser. I have always wanted one, and am a big fan of Tamiya- have had several RC cars, trucks and tanks from them and I love the quality work. I really wanted one of these when they were released in '85, but my teenage (at the time) wallet could only afford a Subaru Brat (the original RS380 version...). When I found this one for a decent price, I jumped on it!

The paint looked like it was put on with a spatula but the chassis looked like brand new - not a spec of dust, rust or grease!

So far I have found that it is definitely a 1985 edition, and that the entire chassis was redone with bearings as well as the tranny. The mechanical speed control is missing, and the steering servo has been relocated to behind the front axle and is a nice servo - an ACE 1015. No electronics other than the servos though. The body and chassis are otherwise complete, not even any missing screws. It also has the interior and driver, and the elusive original mirror.

So far I have done 6 coats of oven cleaner to get rid of the yellow, then under that the orange, then grey primer (about 1/16" thick) paints to get to plastic. There are areas taht have blue paint, so I assume that the body was originally painted the standard Bruiser Blue. Upon hitting bedrock, I found poorly patched mount holes (4 of them) from when this body was used on some other RC. The previous bodyworker had used some putty that was still soft. Needless to say, I have removed the poor patch jobs and redone with a good bonding epoxy and body filler. I feel like an RC Archaelogist! Since this body is already a patch job, I am goingto make it a one piece and fill the mount holes, using rare earth magnets to do a hidden mount. I will also be filling all the screw holes and such, making for a cleaner look. I realize that the purists out there will curse me for this but believe me that this is not a loss as the body is in such rough shape!

As you can see in the above pic, the driver needs a repaint as well - no one wears shiny red jackets anymore! LOL

The truck came with new IMEX tires on the original (perfect condition) rims, but I also received the original tires in new shape - to the point of where the seam is still across the raised sections of the tread. I have oven cleanered them as well (removes the dead rubber) and now they are sealed in freezer bags after being heavily sprayed with automotive tire dressing. I prefer the softer IMEX tires but value the history of the originals...

Anyway, this is my project so far. Any advice or comments are welcome - this is my first Bruiser.