Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

TN102's Clodbuster Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:13 PM
tn102

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TN102's Clodbuster Thread

Hello

I finally got my $100 Clodbuster today! I'm making this new thread to keep everything about it together, show it off, and ask for advise.

First, the pictures

and now for some tech questions

the rear steer servo is on the middle, and it looks (I haven't tested it or traced wires) that it is a 2 channel system, with both servos hooked to one channel. I would like to make it separate, but right now that is fine. However, I want to improve the rear steering on this rig. I tried just to manipulate it by hand, but i could not get the rear to turn. what do i need to do this? I'd really like to move the servo to the rear axle, but also be able to take the tube off the servo and lock the rear steer straight. I am planning to upgrade the servos as well.

Secondly I want to make it run on a single 2s Lipo. I don't know this ESC, but I'd bet a billion dollars that it doesn't have lipo cut-off or anything remotely close to something like that. I know this is all old school stuff here. it's set up for 2x 6-cell 3000mah nimh batteries now. i'm not sure if it's for volts or just run-time. I know a lvc is needed, but will i need to run 2 lipos, with this esc and motor? I will be upgrading to deans connectors soon too

I'm eventually going to get the Spektrum Dx4C radio for this, and then go brushless. What component's should I look at right away before going brushless to upgrade or replace from old age and wear so I don't destroy it when I do?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	2094584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2094585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	2094586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	2094587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0011.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2094588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	2094589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2094590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2094591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2094592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2094593  
Old 05-08-2015, 09:24 AM
phmaximus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Servo,
The stock location for the servo is in the middle and it controls both front and rear. By the looks, to improve the front steering torque they have fitted a servo on axle kit with integrated bumper.

running each servo on there own channel can be done. I'm using a hacked gt3c to have switchable on/off wheel steering and a button to cycle crab/normal steering

to test the rear steering, manually turn the servo horn. Or power up the car and use the controller

best way to improve the rear steering torque is a servo on axle mount, higher torque servo and there is alloy starring knuckles to improve the maximum angle.

heads up with locking the rear steering, it can get expensive for lockouts and the turning circle will be massive with only front wheel steering

with the current brushed setup a single 2s lipo will do the trick with a $2 voltage alarm from eBay

first things i can see... The shocks need modifying. And the springs might be a bit to stiff
they look to be Traxxas big bore shocks with stock Tmaxx springs, but they are not designed for 4 kink suspension.
This shocks don't have a rose joint at the top, and for the suspension to flex freely it needs to have a rose joint fitted.

here are some I did for my Clodbuster using Traxxas ultra shocks and RPM ballends. It doesent matter if the shock is alloy or plastic the method is the same.
1. Cut the eyelet of the shock cap
2. Drill a 3mm/4mm hole in the centre of the cap. (Size depends on the ballend u use)
3. Slide a screw up through the bottom of the cap through the hole.
4. Screw on a ballend onto the exposed thread...

here re is a pic of mine and a example of different ballends

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	2094660   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	2094661  
Old 05-08-2015, 07:03 PM
tn102

Will any steering servo relocation work for the rear?

I'll stick with brushed for now then, I may get an esc with lvc already built in instead of buying a lvc.

I want to upgrade to the esp cantilever system for this. It looks interesting. Will I still need to modify the shocks.

So the plans for this is to (no particular order)
Relocate rear steering servo
Upgrade the steering knuckles
Install 3 channel radio
Upgrade Servos
Install new esc with LVC
Fully waterproof truck.
Cantilever suspension
Old 05-12-2015, 05:54 AM
phmaximus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, proving its a Clodbuster servo mount.
personally I've had great success with the CPE vertical servo mount

here is a cheap option to a new ESC.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-2IN1-...item20fb6804f7.

if u swap to canter lever suspension u don't have to modify the shocks. But ur current setup is better... Well IMO.

sounds like a fun build, good luck
Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 AM
tn102

Well it looks like I can't upgrade to cantilever suspension, I emailed ESP (the place that made this chassis) and haven't heard back if they were still in business. I really wanted the cantilever suspension, and to get a replacement aluminum body mount for the one missing. Since I can't, I'll have to upgrade the chassis.

I really want the CPE terminator, but the Thundertech Ripperseems like it would be the easiest swap, but it has rear lockout. Would the ripper with the wheel widen kit steer decent enough without rear steer? Or would I be best to go with the terminator and add rear steer?