Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

Lunch Box Gear Set

Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 PM
ssnyderu2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lunch Box Gear Set

I just bought the Tamiya Lunch Box. First time I bought an RC car/truck in 25 years. Before I put it together I wanted to do a couple of simple upgrades, figuring it would be easier now. I have the metal ball bearing set, but does anyone know where to get a full set up metal gears for the gearbox? Also, any other upgrades you recommend? My budget is $75-$100.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:54 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These gears can withstand a mild brushless setup. They're quite beefy.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 PM
Maxximize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only upgrade I'd do besides bearings is a 3rd shock mod, or buy some stronger torsion springs for the rear axle pivot (Those stock ones don't last long). I ended up with some stainless ones from the hardware store that work well. Glue the tires, too. At least the rear ones so the rims don't slip in them, I left the front ones un glued. As stated above those stock gears are pretty strong, I've seen 10.5T and 13.5T brushless motors run on them just fine (The lowest turn motor the stock ESC will handle is 10.5T sensored). Just make sure to grease the gears every so often.

You'll get bored of the stock silver can after you get the hang of handling the truck, so I'd definitely throw something faster in there. I personally run an old Trinity CO27 stock brushed racing motor with bearings and stand up brushes in mine and it's almost too much power for the LB. You can find a lot of old stock motors on Ebay for pretty cheap these days (My CO27 was new in package and cost me $20). If you wanted to go brushless I'd say a cheap 17.5T would be a good match. I have a Savox 17.5T motor I bought for about $55 awhile back to test against the CO27, but have yet to try it. Though I suspect the CO27 will be faster because the LB cannot be re geared.