Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

Tamiya TLT-1!!

Old 02-13-2004, 09:21 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya TLT-1!!

I have been into RC's for about 3 years now, but i dont spend much money on it, and even though my traxxas electric stampede is a great truck, and fun to drive, im ready to sell it and get something else(havent drove it much at all for the past year). I got my issue of r/c car last night, and while i was flipping through i found the Tamiya TLT-1. I have always liked the solid axle 4wd machines, but i never did want to spend that much money for a 1/8th scale. I kind of would like for this truck to be bigger, but i dont want to pay for a bigger one, and i figure if i get one, and eventually get tired of it, ill trade it off for something else that looks neat. My questions are:1) Do you guys think the TLT-1 would climb and crawl pretty good. 2) Do any of you know how much the kit costs? 3) where can i buy one(got my pede at tower hobbies, but they dont have the tlt-1 yet) 4) Do any of you have any idea how fast this truck would go? It has a 540 motor, so im guessing if you wanted, you could gear it pretty high if you really wanted, but i dont want it FAST, i just want it to be able to go about 10mph, and still crawl good. 5) Do you HAVE TO have the triangle battery pack for it, and does it charge off a normal charger? Thanks for any help guys. I havent done hardly anything with r/c's for the past year or so, and i would really love to have one of these, because i think with a 540 motor this thing would rock! I have all electronics, and the motor(p2k) i would use on my pede right now, so if i sell it, ill just keep the electronics and use them. It will take full size servos right? I just cant get over how good this truck looks, so any help is appreciated.

Eric[8D]
Old 02-14-2004, 09:14 AM
cummins driver

Default RE: Tamiya TLT-1!!

In case some of you havent seen the truck,here is a link to tamiya's website that shows it and tells about it. I would mainly like to know how much this truck costs more than anything, but i cant find it. Here is the link:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=47201

Eric[8D]
Old 02-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Infinite Gundam

Tower Hobbies lists the TLT-1 for US145. This top-heavy machine hasn't got much ground clearance though.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:31 AM
rccarman

here

http://www.larrysperformancercs.com/...ers&prevstart=
Old 02-14-2004, 12:15 PM
cummins driver

Thanks for the help guys. I found it on tower hobbies after i looked for a minute, i just couldnt find it the first time. I still think its a neat truck. It shouldnt be too top heavy because its only 7.2 inches tall, and its 9.9 inches wide, and 11 inches long. Plus, im not a hardcore rock crawler anyway, just something to go out and have fun climbing steep dirt hills, and gravel, and to have fun with is all i want. The price is a little steeper than i was hoping, but oh, well, you play, you pay. The thing that bugs me more than anything is thew battery pack it takes. It is like $35, and im not paying that for a special battery. If i get one, ill have to try to make a flat 6 cell work. Do you guys think i could do that. It will probably be a while before i get one if i do, but ill keep you updated, and in the meantime, if you have anything at all to say about it, then please do. By the way, do you guys think i would get decent run times? What kind of run times do the big crawlers get, and what do you think i could get out of this with just a shark 1500, or a 1700 of some kind?

Eric
Old 02-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Savage_Dias

The TLT looks like it would be fun but the ground clearance REALLY bugs me. Tamiya is usually awesome for designing scale looking vehicles so why did they make such an awkward looking truck?
Old 02-14-2004, 02:26 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, youre right, the ground clearence is fairly low, and the truck is a little short looking to me, but It should clear most smaller obstacles I think. I dont know if im gonna try to get one, or not, but well see.

Eric
Old 02-14-2004, 04:50 PM
rccarman

it is great for climing hills and dirving in dirt and in the snow it is not really top heavy.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:02 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, and i think if i get it im gonna try to make a small snow plow for it, and it ought to do really good with one if you gear it really low, because since its 4wd, and solid axle, i could mount it where it wouldnt squat the front shocks, and it would get great traction, where on my 2wd stampede, it would probably just spin, and squat the front suspension. I dont know if my parents will let me buy one or not, but i think i might try to buy one, and sell my tower hobbies nitro st-15 that needs a motor, and my stampede, and just have one good one. Do you guys think you could gear it to go about 10mph at wide open throttle, but still pull/climb/crawl pretty good too with a P2k motor? I am also not experienced with belt drives on rc's, but i think they are pretty good, but do any of you think that it wouldnt work good with a belt? I think it would be just fine, but im just looking for opinions.

Eric
Old 02-16-2004, 03:47 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

this truck is NOT top heavy lets clear that up now We put it at a 50 degree angle and dropped it, went straight to the wheels again, same with 60 degrees. it has a lower CG than you'd think, and it halls big time for the size. Makes the Mini-T look like a snail.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:44 PM
cummins driver

Thanks a lot for the info caseyddr. Thats the kind of info ive been looking for. Where/why/how did you get to drive it, or see it drove? Would you say it runs about 10mph stock? What kind of motor did it have in it when you drove it? Is it geared low enough to have great torque? How heavy is it(just an estimate)? Sorry for all the questions, but im excited about it, and im just wondering. I think ill buy one when they come into stock at TowerHobbies. Its just an awesome looking truck. Also, do you think there would be an easy way to make it accept a regular 7.2v 6 cell stick pack? Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Eric
Old 02-16-2004, 06:59 PM
caseyddr

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Thanks a lot for the info caseyddr. Thats the kind of info ive been looking for. Where/why/how did you get to drive it, or see it drove? Would you say it runs about 10mph stock? What kind of motor did it have in it when you drove it? Is it geared low enough to have great torque? How heavy is it(just an estimate)? Sorry for all the questions, but im excited about it, and im just wondering. I think ill buy one when they come into stock at TowerHobbies. Its just an awesome looking truck. Also, do you think there would be an easy way to make it accept a regular 7.2v 6 cell stick pack? Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Eric
The manager of my work brought one in (I work at Hobbytown USA) and tested it out. It's definately pushing faster than 10mph, of course we had a Stock motor in it opposed to the tamiya silver can. The gearing can be changed for torque if you wish because it takes standard pinions and spur gears. As for the 7.2v sticks, highly doubt it. the packs for it are half the length of the regular stick packs. NOW, if you buy a six cell pack and custom build it to fit, i'm sure you could find a configuration to fit into the truck.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:08 PM
cummins driver

Thanks a lot for the info caseyddr. Did you happen to pay attention to how the motor can be adjusted(swung) to accept different pinion/spur gears? On my stampede it has 1 single hole to mount the top screw into the motor,, and at the bottom it has a curved slotted place, to swing the motor into ANY place you wanted it within that range. Is that how this truck is, or do you have to just use a few different sets of mounting holes they give you to use a certain size pinion gear? Thanks again for the help. You are convincing me to buy one.

Eric
Old 02-16-2004, 07:46 PM
caseyddr

For the mounting holes I do not know, I jus saw the truck built, didn't pay much attention to the mounting holes... I'm actually talking myself into buying one lol! my first priority is the XS3 I'm getting though
Old 02-17-2004, 12:36 AM
caseyddr

was jus curious, and it looks like you could easily build a 6cell pack to fit in there Maybe even a 7... lol Also the articulation on that is almost as much as a Tmaxx stock! So that shouldn't be a problem either.

.OOO.
OOOO.

kinda like that, ya know what I mean?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:35 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, its an awesome truck. If i get one, i will be using my 6 cell stick pack because im not paying $35 for a special battery. I will somehow make it fit, but either way, its a very neat and realistic little truck. I could see this truck being pretty quick with just a stock motor. If i get it, i think ill put a servo on the rear too, and have 4 wheel steering. Im waiting on TowerHobbies to get them into stock so i can buy one, and after it gets here, il worry about selling my other trucks then. Does the truck look pretty small, or does it look bigger than it really is?

Eric
Old 02-17-2004, 04:39 PM
caseyddr

It is bigger than a Mini-T noticabley, as for the 6cell stick packs, no. If they are matched packs where you can rebuild them then yes have fun! and my work sells those packs for 29.99 a piece
Old 04-02-2004, 03:13 PM
devildog_0431

I talked my buddy who owns an rc store and he has this truck for sale. $150, for kit and motor. You can use a 6-cell 7.2 volt in this truck. I already have a xs-3 w/ jr servos so ill be good if i buy it today.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM
studysession

I have one. It's a lot of fun.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:46 PM
dudecat

For $70 cheaper i can get the monster truck version for under $100 which makes it look attractive to me. I can send you a link where i found it. By the way i didn't find it on tower.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy Zombie Thread Batman! Last post was over 5 years ago.

Mr. Moderator dug it up, let it die, then dudecat dug it up too. Yeah, there isn't a ton of traffic here. I guess it can be easy to do.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:25 AM
555bts

Default TLT-1 revived now brushless

I spent a couple of hours yesterday reviving an old favorite of mine, the TLT-1. It was an update that I wanted to do for years, swap a 27t 540 for a 3100kv 380 sized brushless. I purchased 2 steel motor adaptors years ago from some company in Europe and I do not think they are in business any longer. At the time even cheap brushless set ups were a bit pricey, but I figured I better get the motor adapter while it was available. 4 months ago I ordered the esc, motor, and battery from Banggood, and I finally got around to installing it. The setup works very well and weighs far less than it used to. I think this concept would work very well on several older Tamiya models as I think many of them may not do well with 540 size brushless setups as it is more torque than the gear box can handle. The TLT picture has a locked center gear diff from a TA03 and the wheel base has a moderate extension, I made the wheelie bar from old parts

Old 12-09-2020, 10:28 AM
555bts

Oh... I can't post pictures yet