Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

turns on...but no response...

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 PM
DeLeon79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turns on...but no response...

hopefully you guys can help me out...

I JUST got my jugg 2 from this guy i won off of ebay. Im using 2x 1500 Ni-Cd batts in the truck (temporary for now)...when i turned it on..i saw the light turn on on the ESC...then i turned on my remotel...but when i turned the wheel left or right...no response. I thought it was the crystals, b/c it was two doffrent ones...so i swapped them out...installed the same frequencies in both the radio and reciever. (Tx crystal to radio, and Rx to reciever) Still...nothing.

i dont know if it matters...but when i turn on hte truck..the wheels jerk alil bit and hear the servos kick in..but thats it...no movement in the wheels turning or foward or reverse...

my friend say that it might be the batts, concidering they are only 1500...so i dont know...im gonna try to recharge the batts again tonight when i get home from work and try again...BTW...i did recharge the batts last night...o also the motors that im running are 2x 540 TITAN motors...so ya...this is my first tamiya truck so...i dont know whats wrong...any help is appreciated!!! thanks

Chris
Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: turns on...but no response...

What ESC are you using?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
DeLeon79

its a traxxas esc...14.4V model #3014 the guy b4 me has 2 540 titan motors hooked up to it...thanks for responding!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 PM
The Mad Modder

Your friend may very well be right. It could be the fact that the batteries are only 1500. I personally don't like 14v+ high voltage systems. They seem to be hard on batteries in that they draw a lot of current. It's possible that those little 1500s just can't supply the amperage that the system requires. My brother owns an e-savage which also uses 14v. He bought a set of two packs(about 300mah), one wasn't quite as good as the other and ended up burning up (not in flames, fortunately). One side of the pack was melted badly and I could smell burning plastic. Needless to say, that pack had to be tossed as it began leaking battery acid.[X(]
Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
DeLeon79

oh shnapples!! thats not good...lol..i have a friend here at work told us that he had a lipo BLOW UP in fron of his face!!!!!!! luckily he and/or his family didnt get hurt!!! wow...

ya i took the jugg to a LHS here in town (the ONLY ONE) and the guy told me that the radio and reciever was trash!!! after troubleshooting the truck...swapping the reciever and radio...he came to the conclusion that the radio/reciever was garbage and...the tranny is shredded! b/c when he turned it on..the truck started going crazy!!! the wheels were spinning and the wheels where turning...luckily he had the truck on a stand!!! but ya...so now...the guy that we got the truck from ebay...he got a bad comment..and ebay is reimbursing us to fix the truck..wow...ebay is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! thats great!!!!!! so ya...depending on how much the situation is...i may just turn around and sell the truck for parts...or fix it and sell it for a SCX10! i dont know...see what happens...
Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 AM
The Mad Modder

See "jugg tranny" thread.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 PM
DeLeon79

alright mad modder...since your the only one brave enough to reply to my thread...my friend and I came to the conclusion that the RX & TX are done-sky!!

we tried the radio and reciever it came with with a pair of Xtals from his mini revo...no response...
So he swapped the reciever with a SPEKTRUM DX3S DSM spread spectrum radio and found out that the servos are still good...now i gotta get 2x 7.2v batts b/c the moron i got the truck from didnt send out the batts with it...so when i finally get the batts...im gonna find out if the ESC and/or the motors are fried as well...you know what...im not even mad...I GOT THE TRUCK FOR LIKE $12.00!!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM
The Mad Modder

$12? Nice! Do you know what condition the gears are in?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM
DeLeon79

well when it turned on for a brief second...it sounded like the gears where grinding...sounded like the gears where skipping...sounds like the gears are broke and are just rattling inside the casing...its REALLY loud too!!! woke up my son and scared the cat...thats how loud it is
Old 10-12-2009, 11:46 AM
The Mad Modder

From the sounds of it, you may have gotten a juggernaut 1. They had transmission and axle problems. The bevel gears in the top of the axles would strip from lack of enough support for so much torque. After seeing the problems, Tamiya discontinued the jugg1 and replaced it with the jugg2, which was built MUCH stronger. Here's a few things that you can check to see if you have a jugg1.

Jugg 1's have:
1999 molded on the trans and axles
top axle covers that have a "riveted panel" molded on the top
trans that doesn't have 2 aluminum plates (heat sinks) bolted to the rear.

Jugg 2's have:
2000 or 2001 molded into the axles and trans
no molded "panel" on the top of the axles, just reinforcing ribs
heat sinks(should be 1 small one on top fastened with 1 screw and a larger one below it using 2 screws) on rear of trans.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
DeLeon79

it clearer shows "2000" but then again the previous owner could of swapped the axles, right? but any case it shows "2000"

heyi was wondering if the mAh matter?? im planning on getting like a 5000mAh for the truck...b/c when i plugged in a 1500mAh it didnt do sqwat!! so is that ok? too much?? or really doesnt matter?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: DeLeon79

it clearer shows ''2000'' but then again the previous owner could of swapped the axles, right? but any case it shows ''2000''

heyi was wondering if the mAh matter?? im planning on getting like a 5000mAh for the truck...b/c when i plugged in a 1500mAh it didnt do sqwat!! so is that ok? too much?? or really doesnt matter?
It'd probably be best to open up the gear cases, anyway, to see the condition of the gears. Even though the jugg and txt drivetrains are very strong, everything has limits.

Mah is just the rating of how much amperage can be drawn from or charged to the battery. The more mah the better. 1500 is a pretty low capacity pack. That's why I suspected that they might not be able to supply the amperage that your high voltage system needs.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM
DeLeon79

ok...ya thats what i figure...ya i was planning on gettin like a 5000mAh for the truck...

when i get a chance i will take a look at the tranny...i might just sell it on ebay as a parts truck...i d k yet...but ill keep you informed.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 PM
DeLeon79

can clodbuster axles work on aa jugg 2?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: DeLeon79

can clodbuster axles work on aa jugg 2?
They can be retro fitted to it, but if it's at all possible to use it, I'd stick with a jugg drivetrain. It's a little stronger and easier to get upgrade motors for. One of the clod axles are flipped, so you need one reversed motor if they have any timing advance(most modified motors do).
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
DeLeon79

ok Mod...well i retract one of my previous posts...

now that i got my NEW AX-10 i picked up from my friends house today...i did some troubleshooting with the AX10 and the Juggs...

i found out for myself that the orignal RX and TX that CAME with the Jugg is actually good!!!

the TOWER HOBBIES RX and TX works fine with the AX-10!! so im guessing that the batts that i used to test the Jugg didnt have enough juice... (2x 7.2v and i think it was less than 1400mAh)

I so called jerry-riged the 1400mAh batt from my AX-10 to one of the two plugs on the ESC on my Jugg...the first connector i plugged into did nothing. (im guessing that plug was for the motors) so i disconnected, and reconnected to the other plug...this plug was for the RX...when i turned the wheel on the remote....it barely turned the huge wheels...i had to lift it off the table in order for the wheels to turn left and right...but since i only had one set...i couldnt test out the ESC at the same time... so im going to have to wait yet again...