Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

clodbuster chassis identification

Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 AM
city hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clodbuster chassis identification

I picked up a lot of rc stuff tonight, I got a nice clod buster with a custom chassis shocks etc.. Has th rear steer locked, I dont know if the diffs have always been locked, but these are locked. It doesnt steer for crap without the rear steer.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:29 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: clodbuster chassis identification

If you don't plan on crawling with it, you probably want unlocked diffs. I would open up the axle cases not only to see how they are locked, but to check for any possible damage or dirt in the drivetrain from the previous owner.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 AM
city hunter

thanks for the reply, I will do that tomorrow. I gota say, it was a blast today. I got over 30 minutes of run time off the 4200-nimh wolfpack I bought. Charged to 4216 on first charge. It definately turns like a f'n boat though. I love the locked diffs as I was climbing stairs and curbs no problem. This thing isnt very fast soic atn seen much other use for it. My lunchbox will run circles around it with the same stock motor. I think I would like to get ther ear steer back though. I think can just make a duplicate piece of the front steer aluminum chunk and toss it on the rear.

What kind of grease do you like using for the axle cases?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:24 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: city hunter

thanks for the reply, I will do that tomorrow. I gota say, it was a blast today. I got over 30 minutes of run time off the 4200-nimh wolfpack I bought.

What kind of grease do you like using for the axle cases?
I love the run times the silver cans have.

I like to use Tamiya's ceramic(the kind that comes in kits) or molybdenum grease, but if I'm feeling cheap I'll grab a tube of Traxxas's silicone grease.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:11 PM
city hunter

Yeah the stock motors arent bad. I wouldnt mind something with a little more speed and torque though. Any recommendations?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 PM
The Mad Modder

That's a hard one. Whatever motor you use has to be either available in a reverse version or have timing set to zero. Reason being the front and rear gearboxes run in different directions and motors with advanced timing run faster forward than reverse.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
city hunter

gotcha.

I have another question about the speedcontrol.It's just a normal novak rooster. Any chance I would get some better performance out of a esc built for twin motors? I notice there are a few times where the motors jsut cant turn the wheels when trying to crawl. Maybe I just need to change the gearing though.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: city hunter

gotcha.

I have another question about the speedcontrol. It's just a normal novak rooster. Any chance I would get some better performance out of a esc built for twin motors? I notice there are a few times where the motors jsut cant turn the wheels when trying to crawl. Maybe I just need to change the gearing though.
As long as you're running stock or higher turn motors, the rooster should work fine. If you wanted to use motors that are much lower turn than 19 or 20, you'd probably be better off with a dual motor esc. For crawling you'll want either higher turn motors (which generally have more torque) or lower gearing. The stock motors aren't the best for crawling.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 PM
city hunter

yeahI noticed. Have any recommendations?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
The Mad Modder

After doing a bit of research, I found that integy lathe motors come with 0 timing (they're adjustable).
http://www.rcplanet.com/SearchResult...x=0&Search.y=0

As for choosing the right number of turns, what do you primarily want to do with it? If you want to do mainly rock crawling, 55t or 65t would be best. 35t or 45t would give you more torque than what you have now, but won't reduce speed as much as a 65t would.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tamiya's black canned sport tuned motors can be used, they have a quite bit more tq than a stock silver can and rev higher, and will be safe to use with your esc.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
mugen69

If you can get your hands on a super rooster or super duty you can run 17t venom motors. The aren't too pricey and have good speed. we used these motors in or race series in Hawaii...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

Dude that is one awesome looking chassis, where did you pick that up if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
Disjaukfia